Archived Minor needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

I'm 17 years old and I work hardlines for a target in colorado

Colorado child labor law clearly states (and I quote): "Minors may not work more than 40 hours per week or 8 hours in any 24-hour period unless there is a business emergency."

Today I worked 2 pm to 9:30 pm (7.5 hours) and tomorrow I'm scheduled from 8 am to 3:30 pm. In the 24 hour period from 2 pm today to 2 pm tomorrow, that's 12.5 hours (not including unpaid lunches) in a 24 hour period.

I brought this up with my LOD and he said I was wrong. I showed him the code for colorado and he said "it only applied to 'calendar days'"

"or 8 hours in any 24-hour period"

I'm not sure what I should do?

Sorry man, when they are talking 24 hours it meant from midnight to midnight.
So the clock reset from one shift to the next.

As commie said, the 24 hour period is done from midnight to midnight. Target is lax about a lot of things, but labor laws are not one of them. Especially minor labor laws.

Mom cut me off a while back so my apartment is more important than school

Damn are you sure?

Yep, I've done payroll for restaurants with minor employees.
The law might be a bit different in your state but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Mom cut me off a while back so my apartment is more important than school

Damn are you sure?

No employment is ever more important then school, ever. I'm sure there are programs out there that can help you. And yes what the other poster said - it's from midnight to midnight. It pretty much eliminates them asking you to work an extended shift.

at least I'm not AP right?

wait nevermind he spends 25% of his time working taking naps

how can I crosstrain to AP

To each their own.
Awesome sentiment, but I speak with authority. My father was an AF lifer and when I told him I was joining the Navy he said "good move." On top of everything else, the Navy trains better than the AF and the chow is ten times better.

I think you should contact the state and ask.

What you quoted states ANY 24 hour period. Does not state a calendar day. Child labor laws are meant to protect children, even those that are almost old enough to vote or enlist. These laws are to ensure minors get adequate sleep, if that's even possible for a teenager, and are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back