Archived Missed Gift Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewCashierLT

Working for Target today and tomorrow
I had an situation while cashiering yesterday. I finished a transaction like normal for a guest, but then they remembered that they had a Target gift card, which they wanted to use before paying. Unfortunately, they had already completed the transaction, and I tried to help the guest by scanning their receipt, and I pressed K6 for "Fix a Mistake". I entered the VCD number, and I tried to go to missed coupons, but the machine would not let me scan the gift card. In the end, the guests went to guest services for help, but I admit that I felt bad that I couldn't take care of the situation for them.

Is there a way to resolve this kind of situation regarding a missed gift card, or did I do the right thing in sending them to guest services?

The only thing to do I think would be K6 wrong payment and it would void their last payment and they’d be able to do it again using the gift card first before they use their card. The only bad thing about this is their card might get charged twice before getting refunded the first amount so if they don’t have enough money in their account for this it could be overdrawn.

However I don’t think regular cashiers should be doing this anyways so yes you did the right thing by sending them to guest service and having them do it

Definitely regular cashiers shouldn't do that. Send them to Guest Service to get that sort of thing fixed and grab your next guest. Unfortunately you have people that sometimes forget about paying or simply think you can just ... add it in after. I had a lady at GS who came over to check out because she was going to make a payment. She kept sticking in her EBT card to pay and then she would hand me a coupon or ask me to take an item off. Like...I have to remove your payment you just made to do that :'I And she started getting annoyed but like...common sense tells you to do those things before you start paying for said items ...

As others have said:

Guest service TMs can totally fix it. But only they should fix it since voiding out a payment can go horribly wrong (guest leaving with free stuff, guests free GC earned getting voided out) if you don’t know what you’re doing.

However I don’t think regular cashiers should be doing this anyways so yes you did the right thing by sending them to guest service and having them do it

My STL prefers that ALL cashiers be GS trained so that we can take care of those types of situations. My STL does not want a guest to stand in more than 1 line, period.

I feel like not all cashiers are competent enough to do GS tasks. If every single one of your cashiers is also able to do GS things then your store must run amazingly, but that would be a hot fucking mess at my store.

I feel like not all cashiers are competent enough to do GS tasks. If every single one of your cashiers is also able to do GS things then your store must run amazingly, but that would be a hot fucking mess at my store.

They aren't...it is.

An STL giving all cashiers GS privileges is opening a big box of liability. I’m willing to guess your store has enormous amounts of fraud because newer cashiers don’t know what to watch out for.

it's not that what GS does on POS is that hard... any cashier could learn GS POS. but it's the scams, dealing with upset guests, and coupon fraud that mean some people should not be doing GS.

it's not that what GS does on POS is that hard... any cashier could learn GS POS. but it's the scams, dealing with upset guests, and coupon fraud that mean some people should not be doing GS.

We've got new TMs that don't even have their permanent name tags training at GS. Scammers see "new" on a name tag and I'm sure they feel like they've won the lottery.

We've got new TMs that don't even have their permanent name tags training at GS. Scammers see "new" on a name tag and I'm sure they feel like they've won the lottery.
GSTMs should have their eyes and ears open and no matter how seasoned or new the person next to them is, they’re watching their back since maybe they’ve not seen a scam you have.

Not to say you should hover over everyone of course but just be aware of what’s going on

And certainly if they’re so new that they still have a NTM badge they should have a trainer with them, and perhaps consider using a different badge or using a label maker to fix it

Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions! I am still not 100% confident in handling this situation and I don't want what Amanda mentioned to happen (guests gift card being voided, guests leaving with free items) so in the future I will send guests to guest services if a similar situation arises.

Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions! I am still not 100% confident in handling this situation and I don't want what Amanda mentioned to happen (guests gift card being voided, guests leaving with free items) so in the future I will send guests to guest services if a similar situation arises.
if you're interested, def ask your GSTL if you can be guest serviced trained!

it's possible to fix the problem and not overly difficult, but since it involves a guest's payment it's probably best that you send them over to guest service to fix the problem.

at my store there's definitely some TMs who shouldn't be guest service trained because of their incompetence, their attitude, or their unwillingness to make things right for the guest......

I've done small GS at the lanes before. It was encouraged by the TL but the ones who where trained. I also have done small price matched (technally a no-no) but only if I could verify on my phone and didn't require an override.

That being said I think it depends on what's going on and/or whose doing it because not every cashier knew how or should be doing it.

Left my name badge at home one time & new TM badges were all they had so I borrowed one.
Could not BELIEVE how many guests attempted scams.
T'was rather fun shutting them down, tho.

I used a new TM badge for my first full year the 1st time I worked at Spot. It was great when I had a coupon scammer check out in my lane! Even better, I'm fluent in coupons, so I knew which scam was being attempted after the scammer handed me their stack of coupons.

I used a new TM badge for my first full year the 1st time I worked at Spot. It was great when I had a coupon scammer check out in my lane! Even better, I'm fluent in coupons, so I knew which scam was being attempted after the scammer handed me their stack of coupons.
Yea I tried so hard to get my trainer name badge because when they know you know what you are doing they aren’t going to try me which is great because I don’t want to deal with their BS anymore

Aside from the usual copied/fake coupons, what type of coupon scams are common?

what type of coupon scams are common?

D-coding: using a manf coupon for items not specified.
Ex: scammers discovered that Proctor & Gamble coupon UPCs could be used on different items other than what was shown on the coupon so they'd load up with a variety of items & head for a newb cashier. They'd have everything bagged as it was scanned to make it more onerous to unpack & verify coupon matches; THEN they'd pull out a stack of coupons & tell the newb 'just scan 'em, it'll take it'.
Experienced cashiers would dump out bags & start verifying coupon matches; when enough coupons get rejected, the scammer abandons the attempts & walks out without completing the trans (leaving everything for the cashier to throw in the go-back bin).
I used to eat those kind for lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back