Archived Mother question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my son about a week ago and I know I'll be going back to work in about 2 months. Have there been any other moms who have breastfeed their child and had to pump at work? How did they accommodate you and your pumping schedule? I'm nervous that I won't be able to pump since I'm a cashier. Any advice or suggestions or anything would be helpful. If you're just going to be negative about me breastfeeding please just save your words.

Ask HR what your designated area for pumping would be. Basically you let them know when you need to pump and your leadership has to support it. Your GSTL would be required to make sure they have coverage so you can go. As long as communicate when you need too and don't be dramatic about it most will accommodate accordingly.

A few years ago one of my Starbucks team members had a baby and we made accommodations for her. She pumped during her breaks in an office. It worked out really well.

Congratulations!
Yes. There have been many pumping new moms at my work. There are offices that can be used, no problem. Your leader or HR can get you access to one.
My only negative is, please be respectful. My office has been used frequently for pumping (good plug location). I have come in to food wrappers, half empty drinks, and once, chewing gum sitting on my desk.

A cashier at my store was pumping after she came back from maternity leave and I’m not entirely sure where she did it but we did give her more frequent breaks to accommodate this no problem

Congratulations!
Yes. There have been many pumping new moms at my work. There are offices that can be used, no problem. Your leader or HR can get you access to one.
My only negative is, please be respectful. My office has been used frequently for pumping (good plug location). I have come in to food wrappers, half empty drinks, and once, chewing gum sitting on my desk.
I'm not like that at all and I mostly drink water/eat ice while at work. I'm actually the one cleaning up after others.

A coworker used one of the offices and pumped during breaks but not at lunch. She did not take extra breaks to pump. It was never an issue.

I've never seen any new mothers have a problem with getting the time to pump or breastfeed. One mom's husband would bring the baby to work at certain times so she could breast feed. HR offered to let her use one of the ETL office but she felt more comfortable going to the car with her husband. Also had a TL that used her ETL's office to pump. It benefits no one to deny new mothers the chance to pump/breastfeed so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I second what Yetive posted. Clean up after yourself and be conscious of what you throw out in the trash. If it's something that's going to smell, throw it out in a different trashcan. My senior merch started to freak out on the rest of the ETL team because he believed we were all eating lunch in his office and throwing it out in his trashcan. Brought his ass back to earth real quick when we pointed out that 1) he had the smallest office, there was absolutely no reason any of us would choose to lunch in his office and 2) his TL was the only person who ate in there. He wasn't too happy with her after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back