Archived Motivating my team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new to Target and so am currently working in Market. I bounce back and forth between PFresh and Dry. PFresh has their s**t together but there are a few TMs in dry work just flat out don’t work. I am actually about to be interviewed for Food TL and I’m curious if I should even try to address the issues I have should I take the issues to the current TL overseeing market or to the ETL for grocery. Any input would be great.

Sometimes I’ll have them work smaller vehicles going, “Can you please work on this you should be able to get it done before lunch! ~20 minutes” or “COME ON GUYS TODAY IS AN EASY DAY BUT EVERY DAY IS CATCH UP DAY”

I’m not a Lead but I consider majority of the tm’s close friends/acquaintances so I’ll mention that they are moving to slow.

Anyone else I’ll try to help hem out, set the pace, give them advice (like making sure they break down the cardboard as they go) ; normally they’ll work the small u-boats while I indirectly observe. If they are still lacking urgency or there are any obvious trends I let my TL know.

Having tm's doing things in groups always tends to show better results as opposed to working individually. Try to organize a way for them to complete a task together with a specific deadline and timeframe. As another person mentioned, most tm's are either friends or aquantinces and should work well together. Doing some GENUINE recognition for those working individually should motivate as well. Good luck.

I recommend taking a low performing tm and working with them, helping them to be more efficient,. Being able to do this as a team member will play well in an interview for a lead position.

A sensed of humor is always a good place to start especially around here.
People are going to be helpful but they are also going to offer humorous suggestions.
If you don't like them take a pass or set the person to ignore.

I have a few newer slow performers that I try and work w/ each shift (although haven't seen improvement w/ one of them and his attitude is getting worse so won't have him much longer). I generally try and give a time limit for a task like "Hey, please take this little 1 o'clock pull, should take 20m!! :):):)" even if it should take a little less than that because I remember when I first got hired into softlines and the ETL thought I could do a task on my first day w/out training or supervision/checkins and I thought I would be fired when it took way longer. I don't want them to feel discouraged, but if they meet my time goal more consistently I can make it smaller until it takes what I think it should take. If I have a few people to work with I will give them a group task and be excited when they're done and get them straight into something else. One thing I've noticed is huge with my newer team members in market is if they don't get a list of tasks to go straight into they tend to wander around even with our general daily routine so it's helpful to give a task and then what to hop into next if you won't be there to check back in/the LOD isn't good about checking in on market and knowing what needs to be done.

I hate the way so many isles aren't lettered/numbered, especially in the CD/dvd/book section in B.

If it confuses me, what do "they" think it's gonna do for noobies?

Plus, we don't even come close to having enough devices/walkies for everyone. I worked a pull with three other people yesterday and NONE of us had a device for the first hour. Eventually, we got one PDA that we all had to use.

Silly Spot.

If I had one request it would aisle markers on the shelves and racks in softlines. Really, its insane finding something there.

I hate the way so many isles aren't lettered/numbered, especially in the CD/dvd/book section in B.

Plus, we don't even come close to having enough devices/walkies for everyone. I worked a pull with three other people yesterday and NONE of us had a device for the first hour. Eventually, we got one PDA that we all had to use.

Silly Spot.
Ha! I just walk around and scan random shelves to figure out which aisle is which. It pisses me off so much.

Might blow your mind right here.... Look on the top section of the back of the pegboard on the front endcap next time you work... *Bam* aisle letter and number :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back