Archived Move app

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
Have any stores switched to the move app yet? If so what have been your challenges?

What does the app even look like, operate like? Curious how this will improve? things.

Move Rollout for my region on Wednesday. Hopefully it goes smoothly... lol!

We started the Move App on Wed.
Getting the pulls took a while to do. Backroom was a mess and not much room to maneuver through. Idk how today went but hoping it gets better as time goes on.

Weren’t there 3 tabs on Move? ePick, Replenishment and another I can’t remember? I’m guessing that’s a later installment to mess things up.

There's one called 'sales floor' I think that has no documented uses yet

Potentially, but honestly with how much they're hounding my store for using EXFs to fill ad endcaps rather than audit, I could foresee EXFs disappearing.

Perhaps that’s the menu for Hardines TMs to enter carts from the pull line to push to the floor (using Move’s built-in pathing tool) once the cart has been released from a BRTM. I’ve heard Hardlines will be scored on pushing CAFs, just like BRTMs are scored on pulling CAFs within a time limit.

Perhaps that’s the menu for Hardines TMs to enter carts from the pull line to push to the floor (using Move’s built-in pathing tool) once the cart has been released from a BRTM. I’ve heard Hardlines will be scored on pushing CAFs, just like BRTMs are scored on pulling CAFs within a time limit.

Yes, and no.

The system doesn't know when you stop for a guest, or to help cashier. The timing metric will not be used as a basis for coaching team members for not working quick enough. Or so I've been assured.

It will be interesting to see when this goes into effect. After modernization, it would make sense. Before? Not so much. At my store, we still use shopping carts for the morning pulls and just keep scanning the same cart for the Move app to work.

We don't have anywhere near enough three-tiers to be able to put each pull into its own three-tier cart, nor do we have anywhere to store them if we did have enough.
...do you not have any tubs or flats?

We do, but it takes much longer to do pulls and to push those pulls if you constantly have to bend over and set things down/pick things up. You can't take the flats or tubs into aisles with you either, so they're always out on the floor, in the way. For the larger pulls, like chem, we use them for the casepacks, but almost everything else goes in a shopping cart. They're lined up along the back wall near their aisle and TMs go cart to cart, bringing them in the aisle to push. It's quick, efficient, and frees up flats and tubs for the larger pulls/backstock.

We know it takes longer and is more inefficient because we did start using those larger vehicles with the three shelves for market. We'd fill them with repacks, do our pulls, then put those pulls in the repacks. Not only did it take longer to do the pulls, since we were touching everything twice (once to go into the cart, and again to go from the cart to the repack), but it took longer to push since you couldn't take the vehicle into the aisles with you. So you'd grab a few things, walk into the aisle, put them away, walk out, grab a few more, etc.. It's a monumental waste of time.

The hours we get are barely enough to get everything done at it is, so it makes absolutely no sense to go the most inefficient route possible.
Wow at my store unless you are early morning flow carts are to never be used for push... carts are for guest only.

We don't have enough time/man power to treat work-batches like a Flexible Fulfillment order. Tie batch to a vehicle and keep using until full. Keep it tidy, dept. separately, and easy to push to the floor. Nowadays, batches keep sitting/building up because pulling is inconsistent. No one is being responsible/accountable for their areas. Also, the move app doesn't tell us when particular DPCIs were last pulled as an autofill or OOS. Everyone has to be on the same page.

Yeah like they are going to give equipment to every single employee.. That would last a week before, it would be "hey backroom pull the 1 o'clocks and scan them out when you put them on the line.. "

We do, but it takes much longer to do pulls and to push those pulls if you constantly have to bend over and set things down/pick things up. You can't take the flats or tubs into aisles with you either, so they're always out on the floor, in the way.
Wait, what? Why can't you..?

Hmm... I've definitely had space to move a shopping cart past a tub plenty of times before... So maybe its an ASANTS thing? Besides, I thought you said this was for early morning flow?

Last edited:
It is early morning flow. Outside of that, three-tiers, flats, and tubs are used -- which works, because the pulls then are manageable. But when you're already using 20+ shopping carts for early morning pulls, there's no reasonable way you could switch to three-tiers (not enough) or flat/tubs (horribly inefficient).

That's why I can't really see a push program working for those. There aren't enough carts, all other vehicles would just be a waste of time, and you're almost always just scanning the same label for pulls anyway. Perhaps when the store is fully modernized, and each department is pulling to push themselves, it could work, but not now.
Honestly it seems like a problem that's specific to your store, and I still don't understand why it's so inefficient in your mind. I've helped out at 4 stores in my area, including early morning and overnight flow/backroom, and ALL of them use flats and tubs for pulls and backstock. Even the highest volume store in my area does it. Only one store put repacks on the tubs, which is definitely inefficient, and I'm not sure if they still do it that way.

Loose items go on top of the tub, separated by the dividers if necessary (almost never needed), and case stock goes on the bottom of the tub. Flats are used for bulky items.

Yeah, we're not allowed to use carts. For anything. Ever. ASANTS

This is pretty much company wide as of last year. Really no team members at all are suppose to be using carts for anything.

I'm sure a few stores here and there though don't care.

When they announced the no cart thing it finally made my store order more 3 tiers which we really needed

Best Practice is that Carts are for Guests. Only time they tend to be used for anything else is with Overnight for the Repacks and even then District is going to chew you out.

You should be using Tubs or Three Tiers. If none of your Tubs have Tops then it should be fixed, Not sure if that's a PMT side issue or a Logistics ETL side.

Because it takes longer, that's why I see it as inefficient. Doing pulls, I can bring the shopping cart into the backroom aisle and toss the items right into it. Doing push, I can take carts into the aisle with me and push from them, throwing the backstock on the bottom of the cart. When I'm done, I can take it over to a flat sitting in the main aisle and put the backstock in repacks. That's the fastest possible way of doing it. We've tried tubs, flats, three-tiers, everything. Shopping carts have always been the fastest and least amount of hassle.

If you're pulling with tubs or flats, you're either using a cart in the aisle and transferring everything over to the tub/flat or you're just walking back and forth. That time adds up. A lot. It's all wasted time. You're either touching everything twice (which is a major no-no in any logistics process) or you're needlessly walking to and from the tub/flat (also another no-no in any logistics process).

Same goes for pushing. Flats don't fit in the aisles and tubs take up too much space. At more store, we don't even have enough tubs to hold all the pulls we do, nor would we have enough space to store them (we don't even have enough space for SFS or three-tier carts).

Our tubs don't have shelves.
Order shelves and more tubs. If you're worried about efficiency, there is zero benefit to using shopping carts over tubs. I could go on and on about the advantages of using a tub over a shopping cart. If one of your arguments is that you can't find room on a tub for backstock from pull that is being worked, then fix that process. We can fill up an entire vehicle and get a handful of eaches for backstock almost every time.

Where do you put them? I know most stores barely have enough room for SFS to work from. Between flats, tubs, z-racks, and three-tiers, how do you have enough room to actually work?

Stores, by default, have room to store shopping carts. All the stores I've been to have no room to store anything else. It always gets in the way.

We try to keep as many 3 tiers as we can in light duty. Then there's probably 10 or so 3 tiers over by the SFS area that is only for them

I just listed benefits to using carts over tubs. There really aren't any advantages to using tubs. That's why most stores opted to use carts instead of tubs to begin with. That most of them didn't use tubs until told they had to sort of proves my point, yes?

And like I said, there is no room for more tubs. SFS is forced into a small corner of bulk because there literally isn't anywhere else they could fit, and that's SFS -- a major component of our sales. Outside of getting an expansion where we knock out our current walls and extend our property out another 20 feet, it just isn't possible to "order more".
Most stores use shopping carts over tubs to do pulls? Most stores used carts until they were forced to use tubs? Where are you getting your info from? What kind of store are you working at where you have no room for tubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back