Archived Moved to a new store and my new team is stonewalling me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I transferred to another Target store a month ago as a backroom TL. I am already missing my old store. The backroom TMs do work hard for the most part, but they have an argumentative side. There are some things that they are not on process and the ETL-LOG has let slide in the four years he's been there.

I have brought up my concerns to the ETL-LOG and he tells me that the backroom is a well oiled machine and as long as stuff gets done safely and on time that we don't need to "nitpick" at every little thing. Trouble is, those "every little things" I am "nitpicking about" are Target's policies that are set in place for a reason. I'm not micromanaging, I'm just looking at closing the gaps where time/efficiency, safety, organization and process continuity are concerned. It may seem like that I am a micromanager because the last TL didn't really "lead" and shot the breeze with the TMs 90 percent of the time, according to the GSTL who has been the most helpful resource in the store to date, despite being under different responsibilities in a different department, and told me that they probably aren't used to having "structure".

Whenever I bring up the opportunities that need to be addressed, I usually get push back. I almost want to start coaching but I feel that since I am not getting any support from my ETL, why would that change if I started the coaching process? I am feeling like I would be opening a can of worms if I started coaching.

There is an older guy that's been there a long while that seems set in his ways and is resistant to change. In fact, when I stressed the importance of keeping the area in front of and near the compactor free of boxes and pallets (as walk ways were getting crowded) he actually threw a tantrum! He raised his voice and told me that's the way it is done here and if the ETL is okay with it, I should be too. I calmly walked away from that situation, cooled off and spoke with the ETL. The ETL basically confirmed what the older TM said and told me that I should pick my battles carefully.

This attitude of complacency seems to have propagated throughout the whole Logistics team, including flow and the ETL-LOG is letting it happen. I brought my concerns up with the STL and she just told me, in no uncertain terms, that I should work with my ETL. (That's why I am in your office in the first place!).

What do I do? I can't go back, my old store is 100 miles away. Don't know if I should approach the DTL at this point.

Last edited:
I transferred to another Target store a month ago as a backroom TL. I am already missing my old store.

As someone who has worked at multiple stores stores. Let me just say that it's difficult adjusting. Every store has it's own culture but you have to stop comparing one store to your old one.

as long as stuff gets done safely and on time that we don't need to "nitpick" at every little thing

He's partially right. I am currently in a LV store and there are plenty of things not done "by the book" but done in order to survive. No point in fighting it.

may seem like that I am a micromanager because the last TL didn't really "lead

Those are always tough acts to follow but I have always believed you should spend your first several weeks getting to know the team and understand their culture before making changes.

The ETL basically confirmed what the older TM said and told me that I should pick my battles carefully.

This quote right here settles it for me. You need to adjust your leadership style based on the kind of etl you have. If he wants his team run that way you would be wise to oblige within safety reasons

It's easier for one lead to adjust to a team then a whole team to adjust to one lead.

My old store had a ge who was all about red cards and so our gstl kept the focus there, coaching tms not asking every guest.

When she left and we got a new one, the focus switched to guest experience so she stopped obsessing over red cards.

Don't know if I should approach the DTL at this point.

I think that would be a huge mistake. Target has a no retaliation policy but knowing your dtl would go straight to the stl, it could really backfire.

As long as your team is
A) safe
B) getting the job done
C) not stealing

You really shouldn't stress about this. For once I agree with @jb08045, they don't pay you enough to try to change what seems like a green process.

Last edited:
Yup HRZ is right.

As long as work is getting done safety, and reletivly quickly you shouldn't care

Not all target policies are relevant. Like, we aren't lift anything with a team lift sticker alone but we all know as Backroom you can't call for help with every heavy item

If you're ETL doesn't care, you shouldn't either

It sounds like you think the target way is best way which isn't always the case. We will sometimes block the compactor areas because there isnt any room or time to move the shit. As long as it gets moved eventually who actually cares?

I am a backroom tm. I know that in the past we have had new etl log and sometimes br tls who come in and everything we do/did is wrong. We didn't dump the trash the right way . we didn't answer the walkie the right way...the list could go on and on. As a tm, I didn't like someone coming in and telling me what I was doing was wrong. However, there were sometimes I could take a step back and see where the new leadership was coming from. IF your br is getting the work done and your backroom scores are where they need to be...then it sounds like you have a good team. Maybe, instead of looking for things they are doing wrong you could focus on what they are doing right. Basically, don't come in with guns blazing. Give it a little a while .THEN, once you have built at least somewhat f a relationship with them... start slowly changing things. Some people are afraid of change but there are people who don't mind change as long as its not crammed down their throat . I will also add that Target policies aka best practices are not a one size fit all. Things that may work in a larger store may not work in a smaller store etc. Best practices may look great on paper but they don't always work so well at the store level. So, there are some where there has to be some wiggle room. Going the dtl...I wouldn't even think about it .Yes, Spot has a no retaliation policy but we all know that isn't how it works ( at least most of the time) I would just give it some time let your team adjust to you and you adjust to them and take it from there.

Yup HRZ is right.

As long as work is getting done safety, and reletivly quickly you shouldn't care

Not all target policies are relevant. Like, we aren't lift anything with a team lift sticker alone but we all know as Backroom you can't call for help with every heavy item

If you're ETL doesn't care, you shouldn't either

It sounds like you think the target way is best way which isn't always the case. We will sometimes block the compactor areas because there isnt any room or time to move the shit. As long as it gets moved eventually who actually cares?
For once I actually agree with everything you say.

Ask your ETL what he expects from you as a TL and go from there. It seems obvious that he doesn't want you coming in and telling him and everyone else that they are doing a bunch of little things wrong.

Ask your ETL what he expects from you as a TL and go from there. It seems obvious that he doesn't want you coming in and telling him and everyone else that they are doing a bunch of little things wrong.
Best advice is to Listen. Sounds like you mean well and over all objective is to work together. Many of us, (guilty of this myself), forget that this is not about one person, but what's ultimately the best way to be productive. We all have to work TOGETHER to achieve this. If one person is going against the team, whether it be a person in leadership, or a team member, you will ALL fail. People don't just see @tizga44, they see TARGET. Just remember at the end of the day, you are all on the same side. Good Luck!

As everyone else has said, cool the jets a little.
Any time you come in as the new kid on the block, you need to observe what they're doing & work WITH them (barring catastrophic safety violations) until they accept you.
Otherwise you're a loose cannon who totally disregards the job they've been doing the WAY they've been doing it LONG before you came on to the scene.
Sometimes you have to see WHY they're doing something a particular way before trying to demand change.
You need to develop serious cred with them before they'll listen/follow any direction you give.
Else they can sabotage you & you'll be gone before you even started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back