Moving out

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
So I may finally be moving on out from the mainland in to a apartment. I just reconnected with a buddy who I lost contact with around my freshmen year. We both are gonna be roomates and split the rent. Went apartment hunting today and found one that is right on the light rail and bus line and near pretty much everything. Its also a secure buliding too so only people who go in are the ones who live there and their guests.

so we both are pretty excited. I'm starting to apply at some new jobs just in case this temp doesn't go though. If it does I may ask for a transfer to a location closer to the apartments.

Cool man, I see some awesome parties in your near future. :tehe:

I'm living with a friend of mine at the moment too, some advice for you though, give it a few days as a tester first.

You say you reconnected after a while, are you 100% sure you guys can live together? Being friends, and living together, are two totally different things. What's to say you wont get sick of each other after just a few days? Some people just aren't compatible when it comes to living together. Just trying to play a bit of devils advocate here. Could save you a major headache down the road, if you can't get out of a lease for a year and you guys can't stand each other. Not saying it will happen, but it can happen.

Be careful, but if it all works out, go for it. Independence is a great thing.

OP
OP
Guest Attendant

Guest Attendant

@theissueoftissue

We are gonna try it out. We have things in common regarding our past. (it was rough, with out going in great detail but we both moved past it and been doing well. both working separate temp jobs with hopes to get on full time. Surprising both of our bosses seem to like us) He is tring his best to prove to his ex that hes changed so he hopes to win her back. Do I have some doubts? of course. but I'm gonna give it a try since I always took it easy in life and never really did something like this before. you only live life once so I'm just gonna take this "risky" move and see where it takes me.

@Redeye58

Yes he does. Hes seeing a therapist right now. I talked with him about this and he has mixed fellings about it but is glad to see me wanting to move out. I'll still keep in contact with him though.

But when we do move is when we will have the full time jobs. We won't move when we are in our temps. We both agreed on that,

GA, another thing to consider is your friend's situation with his ex. You said he is trying to win her back. Would this create a problem if he did? Would she be moving in with you also? Would she be added to the lease? A friend had a roommate & he moved his girlfriend in after about 6 months. She wasn't on the lease, & never helped with rent or groceries. A wise move waiting till you both had full time employment. I wish you the best.

OP
OP
Guest Attendant

Guest Attendant

Thanks for the concern. I got a call from him this afternoon and she ended it complelty with him. He was disappointed but he seems to be taking it well. The move is still on in a few months. I'm still working my temp job but walmart gave me a call wednesday night for an interview for an over night stocking. I went in and had the interview. They contacted my references and i should be getting a call for an job offer. I'm gonna take it as I can't wait another month to see if they keep me on at FM. Thats why I went and applied at other places this past week.

as for him. His temp job ended today. I gave him some ideas on where to apply and he went out after we hung up and applied.

Another thing to add, living on your own gets expensive very quickly. Not sure about where you live, but here in CT, a decent 2 bedroom is at least $1000-$1200/month, not including utilities. You'll really have to watch your spending, unless you're making really good money. Little things add up so fast, it's stupid, then to have to pay rent, utilities, car insurance, gas, etc.

Again, not trying to put a damper on anything, just throwing my 2 cents in. It really is great to be on your own, but if the circumstances aren't right, it can be extremely stressful.

OP
OP
Guest Attendant

Guest Attendant

Well it costs that much here too, if you move in some expensive apartments and there are some in the area. We plan on doing some shopping like at Costco and get things in bulk or shop at a place down here that offers groceries for less 9its just the meat, dairy and bakery goods we both do not trust from them) I don't have a license and not sure when I will get one. I keep putting it off. My friend is working on getting his.

But like I said I'm going in to Walmart tommorow for a job offer and for a drug test. I like working at Fred Meyer but it is only a temp job and when I asked if I'm gonna stay on they said they were not sure. I'd rather have a job then to find out that I'm not being put on full time and then I'm unemployed.