Archived Moving to Starbucks as TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuras

Starbucks Shift Supervisor
So I have been working in a high traffic Super Target for the past 8 1/2 years. I worked in the Meat Department as a Team Member and was promoted to a Food Assistant (Perishable Assistant/Perishable Expert...whatever your want to call it) in 2014. And promoted again to Team Lead last year, due to a team lead shuffle in the perishable departments. Things have been great, team is supportive, and all is well. I also have a 4 year degree in Marketing but clearly I'm going nowhere with it.

For the past 2 months I somehow got roped into dual-leading the market (frozen, dry grocery, household paper, pets, & chems) and the Meat Department. With mix results but overall leadership was satisfied. Come in yesterday to find out that the Starbucks Team Lead was stepping down and leaving the store. And I was asked if I would like to lead Starbucks.

Having worked at the same store for awhile. I know that Starbucks at my store has had high turnover rate with team members. With people constantly calling in and the constant rotation of team members. Which also makes your work schedule less consistant from what I hear from the current team lead. Team Leads usually last their 18 months and they either quit or step down from the position.

I currently have the respect of my team, low turnover rate, and little to no call ins. I have the luxury of writing my own schedule along side my teams schedule. More or less, my department is stable and I enjoy what I do.

I know this would be a good opportunity to lead another team (or what is left of it) and would look good on a resume. But keeping all that in mind. All I hear about Starbucks from within my store and on hear have been negative. Starbucks is like a blackhole. You go in, get your soul sucked out and you leave Target.

Anyone have any input?

[End Wall of Text]

Most things I hear about Starbucks on here are positive. I love my job. To the point where I actually don't want to take a long vacation and I want to go back if I have two days off in a row.

I don't know that it would look better on a resume, except for the fact that it is new to you and would show that you can lead different teams and build up a workcenter with high turnover.

I will say that it's a place that is largely ignored unless you go way above and beyond to show that you're a team player. In any free second that you have, doing something to get out of Starbucks is what will get you noticed (provided that Starbucks is doing well). Respond for backup, go get carts, cover a GSTL break or lunch, etc.

Most things I hear about Starbucks on here are positive. I love my job. To the point where I actually don't want to take a long vacation and I want to go back if I have two days off in a row.

I don't know that it would look better on a resume, except for the fact that it is new to you and would show that you can lead different teams and build up a workcenter with high turnover.

I will say that it's a place that is largely ignored unless you go way above and beyond to show that you're a team player. In any free second that you have, doing something to get out of Starbucks is what will get you noticed (provided that Starbucks is doing well). Respond for backup, go get carts, cover a GSTL break or lunch, etc.
That is largely what I meant as a black whole. You will go unnoticed. My huge concern is being stuck their, once I'm there. And the high turnover rate the department has and the call ins.

Let me ask you this: what do you want to get out of this? Looking for a challenge 'cause you like challenges or want to pad a resume? Or, are you being offered a significant pay bump for a lateral move?

There has to be some sort of benefit to make you leave what you've got right now.

That is largely what I meant as a black whole. You will go unnoticed. My huge concern is being stuck their, once I'm there. And the high turnover rate the department has and the call ins.
The way I dealt with high turnover and call outs was holding the team accountable for their attendance. That's literally all I had to do. Obviously you need to get a good grasp of the department and how it works but once you get settled, it only gets easier. I find my job and position really gratifying. I have a good team, I set high expectations and they strive to meet them. They will work for you as long as you work for them so to speak.

I think it depends on what you want from your relationship with Target. A paycheck? You are comfortable and cushy in your current role, why risk it. A resume? Yes, another department would look good on a resume, being global, cross-training, all that jazz. The third option will entail a much larger paragraph, development. Seeing as you started as a TM and worked up the ranks twice already, I'm going to assume you are not opposed to going farther up. Pay-grades 15, 17, Senior, keys, using that degree to become an exec, those sorts of things.

"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience, I will dispense this advice now."

Unless your store is drastically different than every one I have ever been in, Starbucks is a much smaller department than Consumables. And I am not talking physically smaller, but that too. You will very quickly see your impact on the store as a whole dwindle. Our goal for capture rate in Starbucks is one percent of sales (right?) You're very likely well ahead of that in market/meat, pushing 30-50% some places. You will be behind a counter, and you will have to fight to get out, if that is something you want. You'll get missed on brand walks, DTL visits, huddles. If you are looking to promote you will have to make yourself be seen, and not just because you're wearing a different color than everyone else in the store.
As for Starbucks as a department, I very much enjoy it. Most of the Starbucks Team Lead thread on here seems to as well. I knew walking in that I would enjoy Starbucks. I wanted out of that spotlight that was being a Flow TL, to be back behind a counter. I do feel my development is suffering because of it, but my work life balance and engagement are better than ever. But that is my own experience. Turn around what sounds to me like a red work center and when a new position you want becomes available you have ammo to take it with. Idle in a red work center and you will most definitely be parting ways with spot, on your terms or theirs.

I enjoy running my Starbucks. I am also a Senior, so I sometimes feel like I have to fight to get time IN my department. If you are interested in continuing to promote, make sure your leaders know. Tell them you are concerned about being stuck in Starbucks going unnoticed. Once you are up and running, there would be no reason you couldn't work in another area as well, or take on a special project. GSTL a couple days per week, be volunteer coordinator, etc.

When I took over, things weren't great. We were under staffed and there hadn't been a SBTL for months. Call ins were a problem for sure. I enjoyed the challenge of building a team. I focused on hiring willing, friendly, dependable team members--I can teach anybody to make coffee, but I can't teach them to want to. At this point, attendance is not a problem. We all look out for each other, and if someone is sick, she finds a replacement. I also enjoy having regulars, and find that by and large, Starbucks guests are nicer than many Target guests. Really.

You would still make your own schedule, and that of your team. You wouldn't have to wear red, and you aren't supposed to solicit Red Cards.

Blah, I'm still conflicted over this and I have until Wednesday to decide. They are really pushing for it, saying all the Food ETLs and the DTL are backing my up on this. A getting a $1 raise (I currently make $16.50). I just don't know still. Like I said, my Starbucks currently has a high turnover rate. Any person going in as a Team Lead in the past have left the company after 18 months (just quit). A team member quit the other day already.

My current department is great, I have a great team, all is good. I'm just scared if I say no, it will block me from future opportunities. Any other department, I would jump at but Starbucks has so many reasons for me to just say no.

On top of that, I've never drank coffee in my life lol...

Last edited:
:eek:. That's OK, I'm pretty sure I drink your share. Lol. My last DM never drank coffee before working for Starbucks--he does now :rolleyes:.

Sounds like you will have some real support if you decide to move. I doubt it would hinder your chances for other opportunities if you say no, but it is possible, I suppose. Mostly, don't turn it down out of fear. You have built a terrific team already, and you can do it again. In a way, I think my team is more cohesive than others in the store because there are only a few of us who can do the job. We all genuinely enjoy working together and looking out for each other. Mind you, it did take a little time to get there.

That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your decision, and I'm sure you will be fine either way.

Blah, I'm still conflicted over this and I have until Wednesday to decide. They are really pushing for it, saying all the Food ETLs and the DTL are backing my up on this. A getting a $1 raise (I currently make $16.50). I just don't know still. Like I said, my Starbucks currently has a high turnover rate. Any person going in as a Team Lead in the past have left the company after 18 months (just quit). A team member quit the other day already.

My current department is great, I have a great team, all is good. I'm just scared if I say no, it will block me from future opportunities. Any other department, I would jump at but Starbucks has so many reasons for me to just say no.

A buck more an hour....that's all??? For basically creating a new team and turning around a red work center. If you're looking for a big challenge cause it's alot of extra mental and physical work for an extra 40 bucks a week.

I would give it, a try. Starbucks is a great place to network. Do what @CoquiAzul did in the sbxtl thread. They got the store from a flaming red to a glowing green, with great sales & at least 3 folks behind the counter, almost everyday.

I would take it, I took it when it was offered to me. It's a lot of little tedious objectives in SB but it's easily maintained with a routine. That's what the entire department is about, also depending on the volume / hours the store your going to is getting you basically have time to do whatever. I'm currently having issues with hours in a high volume location but that's besides the point. I took this specifically for the challenge and I get to make my own schedule no questions asked.

I already have the freedom to write my own schedule and my team's as a Meat TL in a High Volume Target. I get the freedom to roam and help other departments. I spent 2 months running market (frozen and dry grocery) and meat. I just don't know if $1 is enough to make me want to go to a department. That in the 9 years I've been with Target. Had high team member turnover rates and Team Leads not lasting more than 15 months. And the constant call ins. And with call ins, the current team lead had to do 16 hour days frequently. Because no one outside Starbucks can cover. Or they had to close Starbucks down all together when the TL is out.

I already made up my mind with it. I'd like to stay with Target. I don't want Starbucks to be the thing that finally breaks me. I've seen too many people go in and have left Target. I know it is what you make of it. I don't believe I have what it takes to turn the department around.

Writing your own schedule is a big deal to me. When I worked at Spot our Consumables TL was pretty much the only team lead in the store who got to write her and her team's schedule, and it worked perfectly for her because she had school full-time. For me I would say losing the ability to write my schedule might be a deal breaker, because I think that's such a powerful tool to have, but obviously it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of leaving and decide if what you'll gain from transferring is worth what you might lose.

I personally would not do it.

I already have the freedom to write my own schedule and my team's as a Meat TL in a High Volume Target. I get the freedom to roam and help other departments. I spent 2 months running market (frozen and dry grocery) and meat. I just don't know if $1 is enough to make me want to go to a department. That in the 9 years I've been with Target. Had high team member turnover rates and Team Leads not lasting more than 15 months. And the constant call ins. And with call ins, the current team lead had to do 16 hour days frequently. Because no one outside Starbucks can cover. Or they had to close Starbucks down all together when the TL is out.

I already made up my mind with it. I'd like to stay with Target. I don't want Starbucks to be the thing that finally breaks me. I've seen too many people go in and have left Target. I know it is what you make of it. I don't believe I have what it takes to turn the department around.
Ultimately the decision is up to you but you make the experience in Starbucks what it is. You create the culture that the team will have. You seem to already have identified the main issue in that work center, attendance. That's something that is easily addressed. I took over a high volume Starbucks without really being asked as a TM, and then it took them months to get me interviewed to become the TL. I was dealing with attendance issues daily, having to make sure the schedule was written properly with no access to my time, address performance gaps with the team as their peer, have DSVs with my Starbucks DM and communicate expectations to them. THAT was hard because I wasn't a TL at the time. You have the advantage of already being a TL and knowing what kind of team you want and what to do to get there. You can do it, don't let it be the reason why you don't venture into new areas of the store. You can be the one that turned around that entire work center and man, wouldn't that be an awesome answer to an interview question ;)

@Asuras congratulations on making your decision. I'm sure your mind is easier now. Your leaders may be disappointed with your decision, but keep doing a great job, and they will be happy. Will you continue to run both meat and market?

And for fuck's sake, fill milk back up

./signed every PA ever.

Sorry but its true.

I also loved my SBTL.

And for fuck's sake, fill milk back up

./signed every PA ever.

Sorry but its true.

I also loved my SBTL.
Actually yes, I try to do that! If I take 20 gallons, I try to put back at least 12-16, or occasionally even more than I originally took. And I rotate the half and half and heavy whipping cream because the milk driver gets FUCKING PISSED if I take the milk that expires in 7 weeks and leave the milk that expires in 6 weeks on the shelf. That guy would have a point if he ever took a single expired quart back, but whatever.

Take Starbucks has an opportunity to out of spot. Others have done & moved up to store mgr in no time at all. @Sickofspot

Sorry, I was having issues getting into this site again.

I completely agree! SBTL opened the doorway to my current career at Starbucks. I promoted extremely fast with this company. You do not need a degree to be a store manager-I am living proof of that. I love this company!!!

Said no a week or so ago. Went on vacation and came back today. My STL talked to me today. He, the HR ETL, and Food ETL are still pushing for me to take the position. They again gave me until Friday to decide. Ultimately, outside of high turn over rates and call in. I'm afraid I won't remember how to make all the drinks. Hell, I don't even drink coffee, tea, or milk. I can't even pronounce half the drinks. I run my current department just fine and talk to guest for the most part. But making small talk is not my thing.

I pretty much started as a part time Team Member, became a PA -> Team Lead of meat and worked with my team for a number of years. So I had their respect already and gaining the respect of new tm was easy. Just so much to procress but I guess I just have to take that leap of faith?

Any last input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back