Moving up

So I’ve been back to my home store since December now . As some of you know this wasn’t a transfer by choice and was the DTL requesting me back. Today I was pulled in the office by my sd , Etl and dtl. I thought ohh shit what did I do . I sit down and they start saying how they can’t believe I was able to bring the inbound to the new process in such a short time ( granted i termed 4 sorters and 2 a&a people within a month of being there ) and how the metrics are looking great since I came back, than the dtl proceeds to tell me that how he doesn’t want to lose me again and it’s time for me to move up to Etl and start training as soon as possible because he already has a store for me . I have a week to think about it . I said if I will make more than what I do now hourly and get to do inbound Etl which I love I’m down. It feels good to be appreciated for something I actually love.

No matter what their initial offer is, ask for more. If they don't make a counter offer, say thank you for the recognition and the offer, but you can be satisfied with your current role. Also, assume that the store they want to send you to is probably more f***ed-up than your current store was and you may not be given the resources to do what you need to do there.

Make sure you factor in time and half for all of those 60-70 hour weeks. There will be many of those weeks since you are likely moving to a store that's struggling. Plus, hours are slim this time of year so you may need to pick up the slack.

I say go for it. You will learn so much and grow not only as a leader but as a person. Yes you will have to work hard but you will be compensated. I’m assuming it will be for ETL GM which is essentially 2nd in command, so yeah, it’s not easy. Don’t let potentially inheriting a red process scare you away. You’re work ethic will take you a long way. Getting to ETL can really improve your station in life. And hey, if it doesn’t work out, it looks great on a resume.

For what’s worth I make about 26$ right now . So like I said it has to be more than what I make now if I’m gonna work more hours

Go for it. Have a number in mind and see what they offer. They want you. Don't give yourself away. Most likely walking into a shitshow, but they know you are the right person for the job. Make them pay for you! Congrats

For what’s worth I make about 26$ right now . So like I said it has to be more than what I make now if I’m gonna work more hours

I don't think they can afford you!
Or at least adequately compensate you for all of the additional time you will be putting in.

Staying at your store could be a good or bad situation depending on you and your team go about it. And as far as pay increase, I was making just over $17/hr as a TL and got an increase of 55%. Idk if that helps put anything into perspective for you. I’m in California.

So here is my update on this topic . I had my calibration review everything went great . Today I had my meet up with my Dtl I will only have 2 weeks left as an inbound leader . My next role will be Etl for Replenishment sad part is that they are moving my Etl and I’m staying in my store . So cheers 🥂

So here is my update on this topic . I had my calibration review everything went great . Today I had my meet up with my Dtl I will only have 2 weeks left as an inbound leader . My next role will be Etl for Replenishment sad part is that they are moving my Etl and I’m staying in my store . So cheers 🥂

Awesome! You deserve the promotion.

I'm still amazed they could offer you something that acknowledges all that you bring to the table as well as compensate you for working 50 to 70 hours a week.

Congratulations 👏

Last edited:
Good job!

Back