Multiple pallet bands required

We were told headquarters is now requiring that we put bands on top 3 layers as well as bottom layer of freight. Any other DC’s get this change?

Yeah, the bottom layer pallet band is annoying. Carton Air TMs always leave it hanging off the back or side of the pallet, so when pulling full pallet it snags on the rack and pulls boxes off, or just ends up tangled in the pallet so you have to waste time freeing them when consolidating freight.

What is the mandate for exactly? To make pallets more stable? How about we start with forcing vendors to not column stack products on pallets. Looking at you Pampers. And while we are on that topic, force vendors to not use packing that is so damn slippery (bookshelves are another one). Bands dont don anything when the whole layer that is banded together slides off everything you stop or take a turn.

If they’d just train people in IB correctly from the start, pallet stability wouldn’t even be an issue.
There would still be the P&G stuff that’s column stacked, but almost everything I see built in ART is column stacked, built on the wrong side (who thinks putting shampoo on it’s side is a good idea?), etc.

We have it too. Unfortunately smalls are stacked, then bands are put on afterwards since the freight would slide around when trying to band a single layer without added weight on top. In theory the product stays on the pallets because all of them are banded. In reality one band goes across two pallets so when we attempt to do a rack put, the cartons are sling shotted off the bottom pallet when we lift the top pallet. And now the MBP rack side is full of hanging bands as well. Never was before since most smalls wouldn't really require them.

Oh, did I mention the best part? Not only are the pallet IDs blocked by tier rack poles because the pole is put in after the the ID is put on, but they also put the band on after the ID and block the ID with the pallet band as well! Or the cartons are so narrow, they don't have a choice.

I guess it sounded good on paper though. Like printing & picking small format separately. Why do we have empty pallets in the racks? Because the person in an order picker picking small format isn't going to risk their safety pulling empty pallets out of the racks? And neither is the carton air person that may come behind them? Call it a hunch.

Does anyone else have plexiglass on top of the RRs now?

Looking at the light glare off dusty plexiglass to a two inch pallet opening for the tip of my forks up three stories in the air is such a rush from ground level. My visual is so impaired.

All these things put together and it sounds like a recipe for raising prod because it's just not challenging enough. Yaknow? Ha.

Back