Archived My Opportunities: Developing Routines and Organization (CTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogisticsFox

Perishables Prince
Hey Everyone!

So, I have been over market for about 6 months (I've only been a TL for half of that) and I am finding that my biggest opportunities are developing a solid routine and staying organized. I guess my biggest question would be how do other CTL's stay on top of everything when it comes to vendor communication, working with your team and running an effective department? What is the best way to determine what vendor will go where when everything changes and how do you keep from dropping the ball and allowing something to be overlooked?
I guess part of my headache comes from having mini-seasonal and saver spot in my coverage so everything is constantly changing.

Also, what routines do you have? I feel like I don't effectively plan for weeks ahead and I don't really know how to do it since I have never really been paired with another CTL. I feel like I get lucky with some SP/cartwell swaps and sometimes I feel like I completely miss the mark.

And finally, organization.. It's really a skill I was never able to grasp in school but it seems important that I master it quickly. Do you have any tips that could help me out? I have been considering getting a table top file organizer for all the SPs, 7x11s, Redwires and sample schedules that normally clutter my desk. Perhaps getting a few binders for the long term papers? My ETL SF has gotten me started on using a pharmacy tote for all my odds and ends I typically use on the floor and I think it does wonders for keeping me efficient so now I just need to work on my off-stage game.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambles for now. Thanks for whatever input you can offer!

It is hard to plan weeks ahead if the information just isn't available to you. Make sure you print up the weekly soda update and partner up with your Presentation TL to get those pogs as they get them. I'll usually post them in receiving near the sign in sheet with their names on them. You'll run into an issue with routines though, depending on the hours and support you get from your ETLs.

Break things down by what needs to be done daily(Merchandising, 4x4's, zone, cafs, CLR, etc), weekly(Vendor plans, purging out the backroom, cleaning goals, etc) and monthly(red vendors, salesplanners, seasonal). At any given time you should know when your seasonal section is coming down, what is next, when salesplanners are resetting, what extra space you're giving vendors, shippers going up, your soda/pallet update, etc. You're bombarded with a lot of information so you should develop a routine where you can sit off stage for about an hour to go over all this stuff and plan out when you're going to address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back