Archived My time with spot was such a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hired for seasonal remodel, I made it clear from the start I was looking for a permanent position. I really enjoyed the couple days of training I did on dayside. Was told I would get close to 40 hours every week. Well that only happened three out of the six weeks. I worked hard, did everything that was expected of me. Stayed late everytime they asked. The other night the remodel etl told me they can't give any position to seasonal hire because they just don't have the hours and what little hours they have goes to the regular tm's. Tonight I go in and look at the schedule and see they're keeping three people and they're getting 40 hours next week. Only seven of us left out of over twenty from the start. The people they kept are all under the age of 24 and know people that work there. I feel liked I really put the effort in to get a position that was never intended for me. I should have just came In and flew under the radar like most of them and just make a paycheck

They should have been straight forward during the interview that it would only be seasonal. Especially with being hired specifically for remodel. And also whoever promised you 40 hours did not know what they were doing. Target never promises 40hours. Never.

Unfortunately, verbal promises are not enforceable particularly if there aren't other eyewitnesses. Target does not offer hourly workers any assurance of a minimum hours per week. During your six weeks, how many hours per week were you allowed to work? As for your observation "the people they kept are all under the age of 24 and know people that work there", it hurts but it's happened many times before. As you search for a better position with another company, embrace the notion that "I really put the effort in" and compile a few stories of successes during your time at Target. If somehow you can avoid feeling bitter about the experience and instead look at it as (hate to say this cliche) "a learning experience", you'll come out ahead with a better new job opportunity, perhaps with a company that defines "workplace diversity and inclusiveness" as including age inclusiveness - adult staff over the age of 30, over the age of 40, over the age of 50, even over the age of 60....

Ugh, I hate hearing that someone who wants the job doesn't get it. I'm a firm advocate of letting g people who are motivated stay. However, not everyone gets picked, and it's never easy to spot why, unless there's a glaring issue.

Just roll with it. Every job is a learning experience. You never waste any experience.

I don't know where you live if the nearest costco is 40 miles away, but get serious about your work search. State government-funded "worksource" or "job service" offices provide free workshops on how to self-identify your best skills, how to identify and pursue specific industries and employers in your local area, how to get a profile on linkedin, and so forth. If you live close to a target, there are bound to be a lot of other places if you want to work in retail, like best buy, kohls, walgreens, trader joe's, etc. Don't procrastinate, the longer your procrastinate the more discouraged and unhappy you will become (as well as $$ broke).

I went way over my 3 months, but they still called me to say my last day was in a week. I talked to several ETLs that knew me well and I was able to keep working there. It still says "Seasonal TM" on the sign out sheet though lol
The best thing about this is you have that as experience you can put on a resume and if they ask why you left, you can say it was just a seasonal position and you learned a lot from it etc.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you gave it your all, sorry that someone who counted didn’t see it . Please be proud of your efforts and move on knowing you did nothing wrong, it was spots loss. If you left on good terms, and you’re not too discouraged, keep in mind that you are rehireable when there is another opportunity open. Our store has LOTS of openings from the huge exodus of veteran employees lately.

Just remember that the only real "permanent" jobs in America are if you are lucky enough to be nominated as a federal court judge. The vast majority of jobs are "at will employment", meaning either you or your employer can end employment at any time. No matter what anyone says verbally, this concept is spelled out in bold print in the target team member booklet you are given at orientation.

A smaller number of jobs in America are under collective bargaining agreements, government civil service, or executive employment contracts. For those, there needs to be a written reason given to the employee for dismissal. Under at-will employment, no written or verbal explanation is required although many companies like target will do so after documenting all of your alleged failings as an employee. Since the OP was a seasonal hire, that step isn't necessary.

Just remember that the only real "permanent" jobs in America are if you are lucky enough to be nominated as a federal court judge. The vast majority of jobs are "at will employment", meaning either you or your employer can end employment at any time. No matter what anyone says verbally, this concept is spelled out in bold print in the target team member booklet you are given at orientation.

A smaller number of jobs in America are under collective bargaining agreements, government civil service, or executive employment contracts. For those, there needs to be a written reason given to the employee for dismissal. Under at-will employment, no written or verbal explanation is required although many companies like target will do so after documenting all of your alleged failings as an employee. Since the OP was a seasonal hire, that step isn't necessary.
Doesn't this vary by state. I was under the impression that after your 90 days they need to have a reason for letting you go (unless you signed a contract as a seasonal employee like me). That can be easily manufactured to just get rid of you, but I thought they needed to have a valid reason in some states.

Doesn't this vary by state. I was under the impression that after your 90 days they need to have a reason for letting you go (unless you signed a contract as a seasonal employee like me). That can be easily manufactured to just get rid of you, but I thought they needed to have a valid reason in some states.
In a few states mentioned in this linked article, they kinda have to make up a reason. In practice, Target will provide some sort of reason for dismissal for business and risk-management reasons. List of At-Will Employment States and states with some modifications and exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back