Archived NCNS Swap shift board misunderstanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I signed off on a shift on the board Friday the 16th that was for today the 18th, and later regretted it because I knew it probably wouldn't be approved in time for today, I also checked the online schedule and it wasn't posted on there, so I assumed I didn't have to worry about it. Lo and behold, I get a call today from my TL asking if I picked up a shift for today? I screenshotted my online schedule before the time the shift was supposed to start, and I thought if it wasn't changed on the schedule it wasn't my responsibility. If they start coming at me saying I NCNS'd what am I within my rights to say/do? (Can I defend myself at this point?)

Apologize for the misunderstanding and accept the write up that you might get. But if they called you within 2 hours after the start of your shift, you could claim that you called off because you technically let them know that you weren't coming in.

If you know you are not coming for that swap shift. Please call the lod asap, so they can get coverage.
I think he was planning on coming in for it, but thought he wasn't approved to come in. There was a misunderstanding about how swapped shifts work.

I think he was planning on coming in for it, but thought he wasn't approved to come in. There was a misunderstanding about how swapped shifts work.
The op has been at spot to know the process works. Take the write up & please don't it again. Now, their store is down a person to close. I had three call outs who were closing tonight.

The op has been at spot to know the process works. Take the write up & please don't it again. Now, their store is down a person to close. I had three call outs who were closing tonight.
It was a four hour cashier shift that started before noon, they called me and asked me what had happened and if I could still come in, I told them that since I thought it hadn't been approved I was not able to...I had been in a similar situation before and called the store that morning and they told me that if it wasn't changed on the schedule that it wasn't my shift. I'll take the write-up of course, luckily I have my own TL that has my back because when they called me I heard her discussing the situation with the GSTL and she seems to understand where I was coming from.

From this point forward I'll call the LOD to sign off on it right then and there if I ever decide to take a shift, like we're all supposed to, but truth be told no one at my store ever does that....

So, what about the cashier you got the shift from? Now, they are in trouble too. Think before you take a shift, next time.
It was an honest mistake. He thought it had to be changed in the computer to be official. And at his store, that could be the case. Or even if it isn't, he could have still been told the wrong thing. The cashier that he took it from should still call the store in the morning to make sure their shift got taken. They can't just put a shift on the board and assume it'll get taken and approved.

The stores I've been at have generally accepted that if someone signs up to take a shift, it's as binding as if it were initialed by the TL. This isn't entirely the case, but I would have asked a TL or LOD or verify the shift was actually swapped. Signing it and then assuming you're not taking it because it wasn't initialed is a little lazy on your part.

From this point forward I'll call the LOD to sign off on it right then and there if I ever decide to take a shift, like we're all supposed to, but truth be told no one at my store ever does that....

I was going to suggest that especially if the shift is in just a couple of days. I am not a LOD but a HR TM and I usually sign off on the shifts and change them in the schedule but sometimes shifts get put on the board on my day off or after I leave for the day. Might be the same in your store. Always check with the LOD or HR to make sure it gets approved and changed in the schedule.

People at my store never get an LOD signature so we dont put in the computer.

That said if you say you are taking a shift and sign your name I think its best practice to own up to it. If you do not want it do not be afraid to say no, its better to be sure than to be flaky.

I've learned my lesson, I get it, but if it would've been on my schedule and if I hadn't been told that it's not my shift if its not switched in the schedule by an LOD before, I would not have thought the same applied to today.....I'm just curious to see what my punishment will be, a write-up? a coaching? idk

Last edited:
I've learned my lesson, I get it, but if it would've been on my schedule and if I hadn't been told that it's not my shift if its not switched in the schedule by an LOD before, I would not have thought the same applied to today.....I'm just curious to see what my punishment will be, a write-up? a coaching? idk

Your punishment could be a verbal coaching, written coaching or simply nothing, especially if your TL has your back. It was an honest mistake and maybe it will encourage Team Leaders to make set rules for the shift swap board and go over the rules with all Team Members.

Your punishment could be a verbal coaching, written coaching or simply nothing, especially if your TL has your back. It was an honest mistake and maybe it will encourage Team Leaders to make set rules for the shift swap board and go over the rules with all Team Members.
I wish we got rules lol Someone picked up a shift for someone on Halloween last year and then called out so there was no one to close guest services and they decided to just remove the whole swap shift board and now you have to talk to the LOD to get a shift changed. Which they almost NEVER actually put into the computer they're just like "yeah ok I will put it in" so you gotta show up and explain to that day's LOD about the change lol

At my store if you sign up for it you're expected to show up because the person giving up the shift would have seen that you took it and not show up. I was on the opposite side of this situation a few month ago where someone took my shift, had it signed off but not switched online (or so he claimed, I'm still calling BS since he was on the grid), so he didn't show up and went to the beach instead :rolleyes:. I think he just got coached and it was a NCNS. I'd definitely recommend calling the morning of the shift from now on if you're not sure.

Went in today for a 4 am, saw the ETL that I was told had signed off on the shift, he didn't mention a single thing about it, saw my TL that called me yesterday, she didn't mention a thing about it, saw the ETL HR that they told me over the phone would be notified about this incident, she didn't say a thing about it...maybe they'll wait for a day shift, or maybe i got off scot-free.......

the opposite happened to me a few months ago. i put a shift up, someone took it, i told the lod and they said they would approve it so i didn't show up the next day and got called because the lod never approved it and the girl didn't show up. i told them the lod said he would approve it so i didn't come in. the next time i came into work the lod apologized and told me i wasn't in trouble for it.

the opposite happened to me a few months ago. i put a shift up, someone took it, i told the lod and they said they would approve it so i didn't show up the next day and got called because the lod never approved it and the girl didn't show up. i told them the lod said he would approve it so i didn't come in. the next time i came into work the lod apologized and told me i wasn't in trouble for it.

Glad it worked out. The chance of an LOD remembering is next to nothing. Take the swap shift board with you so when they approve it they can sign it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back