Archived Need advice about an incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other day a coworker was really rude to a guest. I don't want to go into a lot of detail, but I strongly feel that she was out of line. We were at the fitting room talking when the guest approached us to ask a question, and my coworker was extremely dismissive and rude with him right off the bat. He was asking whether we had something in stock and immediately my coworker just kept saying we were all out in this really dismissive tone and cutting him off until finally he left. As he was turning around she scoffed at him while he was still in earshot, so he could definitely hear her. I honestly have no idea where that came from and didn't know how to react so I just kind of stood there. Later on I overheard her ranting to another coworker about it and making it sound like she genuinely didn't understand what the guest wanted, but that's not what happened at all. Anyway.

I was really worried that the guest would go complain and we'd both be in trouble, but so far it looks like he hasn't. But I've heard of TMs being fired before for guest complaints. It's always the word of the guest over ours, and frankly I wouldn't blame him for complaining about the way he was treated. But I really, really do not want to be dragged into this, and I'm scared that I would be since I started to talk to him before my coworker interrupted and started being rude to him. I have really bad anxiety about getting in trouble and always have, so I can't tell if my fear is irrational or if I should be concerned. I don't know what to do. Did I do the right thing by not saying anything? Should I have done something differently? Am I overreacting by worrying that I'll get into trouble for this?

I hate when other team members do this shit.... I mean if you didn’t say anything to the tm or the guest you should be fine! Good luck with that! I can’t stand when team members have no idea how to interact with a guest like it’s your job to help the guest too! Espesically appreal at my store oh my gosh I can’t stand how they work or how they are with how their helping the guests! It’s sad because they act like that because they don’t wanna do their job.

Just out of curiosity (honestly, not judging at all), why didn't you jump in and offer to help the guest? If he had been offended by her bad attitude, you helping him out would not only save you from any possible reprimand but also might have earned you a guest complient if he had complained about her because you at least were doing your job and he may have mentioned that as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting into trouble. It's not like you can do anything about it now. Wait it out and see if anything comes of it in the next few days.

In all honesty, you should have jumped in to see if you could have helped the guest....but oh well, lesson learned. If something is made of this and you are called on it, then just be honest and tell them what happened. It's better to be honest and just get your knuckles rapped, than to lie and end up fired, especially before the holidays.

I mean, I was about to greet him, but my coworker kind of cut me off and took over before I could ask what he wanted. There wasn't really room to get a word in edgewise and I was honestly so uncomfortable I didn't even know what to say or do so I kind of just stood there awkwardly watching the whole thing.

Damn I didn’t realize we could get terminated if a guest complains about us!! Thanks for the heads up I’ll be taking that advice with me into work tomorrow

I didn't, because I don't think she cares. She's a bitter long-termer who pretty much does what she wants and has a shit attitude. She actually trained me when I first started. She's not overtly mean to me or other coworkers but she does not listen. I honestly thought of going to a leader to talk about it but I didn't want to be a tattle or rock the boat. Work is stressful enough without feeling like everyone is mad at me.

Ok,looks like you’ve gotten all the advice you need, best of luck.

Thanks. I think it'll be fine. It was just such a weird, uncomfortable situation.

In this situation I will often follow the guest and offer help down an aisle out of sight of the problem tm. Open with "hey I just found that item and we do/ don't have it..."

Gawd I hate those terms "jump into" and "real quick."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back