Archived New and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been with Target for a whole 2 days now. I love the job, but am a little confused as to how the store is handling my training.

I worked for Target back in 2000/2001, in the stockroom. During the interview I told them that I worked in receiving for about a year and a half, so I was familiar with the procedure more or less, but that it's also been a while, and we both agreed that a lot has changed since then.

My first morning, my trainer asked me about my previous Target experience, so he obviously knew I'd worked there before. He showed me how to do pulls and takebacks rather briefly, then about a couple of hours into the training, left me alone to restock the shelves. I had to track him down several times when I had a question, mostly about the device and how to operate the apps. Because it's been so many years since I've worked here, I was naturally rather slow and had to pace myself to get the hang of everything. I felt like I was being rushed, and got the feeling that because I'd worked at Target before, they were expecting me to go a lot faster.

Well today, as I was doing my autopulls, a manager whom I'd never seen before approached me. He asked "Aren't you the one who worked for Target before?" Then he explained that the autopulls had to be done by 11 and he called my trainer into the backroom to take over, at which point he walked me around, and gave me a lot of information that had already been given to me. It's stuff I already knew, but for some reason, he said I needed "additional training."

I'm not sure what that is all about, but I am really wondering if I am going too slow for them, or if somehow they are disappointed because I'm not as quick as I thought they'd be. My TL left early today, so it was basically 2 hours of me asking random people in the backroom what I should do, or what is expected of me.

As I was walking around the store today, 3 different managers approached me and asked if I was doing alright.

I actually thought I was learning quickly and picking it up okay, but the fact that this manager took me aside for "special training" makes me think that perhaps they are expecting more from me than I am able to offer. Not only that, but I misplaced the blade they gave me, which isn't a good thing 2 days into the training.

At this point, I don't know how much longer they will keep me on board, which is sad, because I love the company.

Any thoughts?!

2 days? Don't stress to much. The various people you have met just didn't know what you already learned which is part of why they are giving you more information. After a few days, you'll have a better grasp of all the apps and stuff.

today was day one for me ... so i feel ya backroomman ... lot to learn, and the time pressure is real!

but I misplaced the blade they gave me, which isn't a good thing 2 days into the training.
Who cares it’s just a 🤬blade.
And you are stressing to much, and honestly what you knew in 2001 doesn’t apply now anymore ,not for the Backroom or receiving or unload . So make buddy with the receiver ask questions , learn his area maybe that’s something you can do on his days off or vacation . Ask the gmtl what should you focus on your spare time or after the leader leaves.

Definitely need to just get used to it. I worked for Target back in 1999/2000 as well, just started Target again last month, and it is a LOT different now. It just takes some getting used to, but after a few weeks, it'll be like clockwork.

That's the norm at my store. There is no communication between leaders. One tells me one thing and the other another thing. And there is literally no training for new TMs. I pretty much trained myself.
I would say your doing fine. Just don't call off. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back