Archived New bereavement pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the new pay and time off is for a death in the immediate family?

• Short version from last year.
  • Bereavement time will now include funerals, reading of wills/final documents, and making final arrangements for family members. TM's will be eligible for 3 days of Bereavement time for the loss of close family members and 4 hours for distant family and close friends

Last edited:
What publication is this taken from? (updated 12/7/15)
All of our various pay and time off benefits are conveniently located in a single PDF, buried deep in the bowels of the benefits website.

You can get to it this way:
- targetpayandbenefits.com
- Menu
- Pay & Time Off
- Time-off Program Guide for Non-Exempt Team Members (near the bottom)
- Time Off (near the middle)
- Time Off Program Guide for Non Exempt TM

Thank you. I find it interesting that it states "By continuing your employment at Target, you agree and acknowledge that the old time off policies, and any other agreements related to time off/vacation are no longer in effect and that the new time off program is the entire, and only, agreement regarding your time off at Target." yet nobody ever said this or gave us a copy of it.

Does this mean part time team members don't get any paid bereavement time?

That's what it says exactly (see page 17 of the above document).

I averaged over 30 hours a week for two years. I got 16 hours (it was all that I asked for). I considered myself part-time, although Spot thought that I would work 6 days a week forever.

Last edited:

The guide says, "Non-exempt store team members with average hours of 20 or more are eligible for bereavement pay from the first full pay period after the first of the month following 6 full months of service." If you meet this criteria, then you qualify for it.

If your average hours is under 20 or you haven't worked long enough, then no.

Last edited:
The guide says, "Non-exempt store team members with average hours of 20 or more are eligible for bereavement pay from the first full pay period after the first of the month following 6 full
months of service." If you meet this criteria, then you qualify for it.

If your average hours is under 20 or you haven't worked long enough, then no.

While all that is true Ive found its somewhat to store HRs discretion. We have a team member who averages 9 hours a week lose both her father and mother in the same accident. I gave her bereavement for two full weeks [7 shifts] and it all went through

While all that is true Ive found its somewhat to store HRs discretion. We have a team member who averages 9 hours a week lose both her father and mother in the same accident. I gave her bereavement for two full weeks [7 shifts] and it all went through

I wonder if they are more lenient on the average hours requirement. I usually enter bereavement pay whenever it is requested just to give it a shot. I've gotten e-mails on at least two occassions telling me that the Team Member doesn't qualify for bereavement pay because they haven't worked there for long enough.

Miscarriage at 20 weeks or more? Seriously? Wish I hadn't read this...
I think they are differentiating between a miscarriage and a stillbirth. Miscarriages are more common. At 20 weeks actually it's unlikely that a child would survive so it's generous of Target to consider that a still birth. 22 weeks is where there is a slim chance of viability.

Unfortunately they have to draw the line somewhere. I'm sure a leave of absence could be requested in the case of a miscarriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back