Archived New ETL Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

So I've been searching this forum for weeks to find any and all information I can regarding external ETL hires and the adventure I'm enbarking on. I've been reading forums since I originally got recruited and throughout my interview process.

I ended up getting hired as an ETL salesfloor in a 50 million dollar store. We don't have ETL'S in hardlines or softlines, so the whole floor will be my responsibility.

I am in my first week of business college and my trainer is awesome! I feel like I have learned a lot from her, although obviously some days are more training oriented than others. We already had a DTL visit on my 3rd day and I definitely feel like she was there to prove a point in regards to modernization.

I have 8 years of retail management experience and honestly wasn't looking when I got recruited, but the salary bump they gave me convinced me to give it a shot.

I am looking for any advice from TM's, TL's, SRTL's, ETL's or STL's when it comes to making the most of my training and carrying that over to my new store (already determined).

I have read enough to understand what TM's amd TL's are looking for. Be willing to learn and adjust, get your hands dirty, be in charge of your own training etc.

I am really looking for an inside look at processes, how we operate, as well as anything else that people find important. It is definitely different than my previous retail processes so I know there is going to be an adjustment process. Clarification on job responsibilities, flow, zoning time frames etc. would be much appreciated.

I am excited to take on this new role, and also feel like my trainer is equipped to train in all these areas. Just trying to use all my resources as I realize 6 weeks isn't very long.

Also, I've seen the forum favorite "before you sign your life away". Don't need to see it again.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to give solid input that is currently relevant!

I can handle chaos. Can you elaborate on the reasoning and why you would "run"?

This is such a difficult answer right now, because stores across the company are all in different phases of modernization. Do you know what time your store will be unloading the truck and/or how many people work on unloading it? That could at least give us a start on what you’re getting into.

My training store is still on the overnight schedule, soon to change. The store I will be assigned to is already on the 4am schedule.

I understand the nonsense of this, but am also looking for advice to be SUCCESSFUL, not just the shit I will have to deal with.

I can handle chaos. Can you elaborate on the reasoning and why you would "run"?

They keep changing how they want to do business how they want to present the company and how it works and following through on nothing nor sending support to actually make that idea actually work.

I have worked in places that are chaos, the difference with now, is that those places functioned no matter what to keep the freight flowing, keep the money coming in with basics - get product on the floor and in place to sell.. Now at Spot they don't care if trucks are finished, product backstocked or its on the floor to be sold. Just get in the face of the guest and make sure you sell stuff to them, even if you have idea where it may be in the store..

There are about 8 overnights at my training store. Not sure about my assigned store.

If you have weak TLs, start by developing them and your VM. They took the "Leader" out of the title, but the good VMs are leaders for sure. Your TLs/VM should be leading, teaching, training, observing, coaching--not tasking so much. Our very excellent VM always sets VMGs alongside TMs, for example. The TM can break off to engage with guests, while the VM continues on the VMG (unless more guests arrive, then she helps too). In this way, the TM is being taught VMG/merchandising, observed selling, and coached to improve when necessary.

It is also important that your TMs know how to do all of the basic parts of their jobs. I supported another store, and one of the HLTMs didn't know how to make a sign. Not a newbie. I almost flipped my lid. This is typically a sign of a TL who is too busy tasking to teach. A definite red flag.

If there is a culture of sitting in Starbucks/office/break room as a leadership team, try to avoid getting sucked in. This can be tough, as you will need to fit in and gain the trust and cooperation of your peers, but if it happens alot, it can be a morale killer. I usually tell my team what I'm doing if it takes me off the floor for very long. Do you owe them an explanation? No, but I think it creates trust.

Yetive,

I appreciate all the insight! That is the kind of information I am looking for!!!

Couple of things I'll add. Very basic and if you have a good bit of retail leadership experience they should be already on your radar.

1. Work WITH your team. You will absolutely need them to perform for your store to be successful and this involvement will be crucial. However, always keep in mind that while you don't want them to think they just work for you, you can never forget that you DON'T work FOR them. I've seen plenty of new ETLs fail miserably by not standing their ground and allowing veteran team members to essentially do whatever they want.

2. Be flexible. Spot changes gears and priorities quickly. This is where a lot of team members will say the company jumps into an idea without knowing the outcome. While that is true, it's exactly what retailers need to do in today's atmosphere to remain in business. Some rollouts are great, some are a shit show. Your job is to get your team to buy in and give whatever idea is out there a chance. Realistic feedback on why something works or doesn't work will earn you respect from your leaders, but refusing to try new things will end your career quickly.

3. If you tell your team that you are going to do something, make sure you do it. From small things like having food in the breakroom to jumping in to help with huge POG workloads, you can bet that if you tell your team that you'll do something for them, they will 100% notice if you don't follow through.

Mr. ETL, dont pay attention to the nay sayers.
Working for Target is truly what you make of it. Yes the company is going through major changes, but there is nothing wrong with that. Change is inevitable in retail and commerce in general.
Target is trying to adopt to the changing landscape, and is entering an uncharted territory of online shopping/same day delivery and other services tailored to attract the ever changing demographics and their spending/shopping habits .
Target is currently on a learning curve.
They are trying out processes ,which if implemented properly will cut down cost and will result in a better educated, more robust and adaptable workforce.
The current pool of workers that are employed ( I am not saying all , but a sizable chunk) are rightfully afraid and resisting this change.
However if you are someone that can adapt to dynamic circumstances and tackles challenges with an analytical point of view, you will survive.
It is not hard to achieve results in an environment where things for the most part are dormant.
Good luck, it wont be easy ,but if you are a hard worker and take pride in your work, you will enjoy every moment of it.
Pay attention to your training, ask questions. Learn policies. There is only so much you can learn from an online forum, real learning is on the ground in the backroom and in the aisles.

Don't micromanage your team. Trust them to do the tasks you assign and don't ask them "where they are on that task" and waste their time. Physically go check up on them, even if all you do is eyeball them from 100' away. Don't run the store from your walkie. Learn the TM you can leave alone and learn the ones who need extra supervision.

And don't run the store from your walkie!

Did I already say that?

Please don't basically shut down walkie traffic for 5min for a redcard or "let's get out by 10:15!" spiel. Please don't let the fact that Spot calls assistant managers "executives" get to your head to the point that you embroider "SPOT EXECUTIVE" on your jacket, like one of our ETLs did.

Don't micromanage your team. Trust them to do the tasks you assign and don't ask them "where they are on that task" and waste their time. Physically go check up on them, even if all you do is eyeball them from 100' away. Don't run the store from your walkie. Learn the TM you can leave alone and learn the ones who need extra supervision.

And don't run the store from your walkie!

Did I already say that?
THIS!!!! We had an ETL once who would constantly keep asking where you were on a task. I am talking every five minutes. I felt so bad for the poor people who were constantly being walkied. They would probably have been farther along in their tasks if they didn't have to constantly respond on the radio. Know your people and let them do their jobs.

Mr. ETL, dont pay attention to the nay sayers.
Working for Target is truly what you make of it. Yes the company is going through major changes, but there is nothing wrong with that. Change is inevitable in retail and commerce in general.
Target is trying to adopt to the changing landscape, and is entering an uncharted territory of online shopping/same day delivery and other services tailored to attract the ever changing demographics and their spending/shopping habits .
Target is currently on a learning curve.
They are trying out processes ,which if implemented properly will cut down cost and will result in a better educated, more robust and adaptable workforce.
The current pool of workers that are employed ( I am not saying all , but a sizable chunk) are rightfully afraid and resisting this change.
However if you are someone that can adapt to dynamic circumstances and tackles challenges with an analytical point of view, you will survive.
It is not hard to achieve results in an environment where things for the most part are dormant.
Good luck, it wont be easy ,but if you are a hard worker and take pride in your work, you will enjoy every moment of it.
Pay attention to your training, ask questions. Learn policies. There is only so much you can learn from an online forum, real learning is on the ground in the backroom and in the aisles.
Did you not say this not three days ago in the Market thread? I am confused on the sudden upbeat.
Spot has figured out a way to be more profitable, it has also discovered a great source of waste. Its employees.
See if spot doesn’t pay alot of employees, they are saving money and thus being profitable.
Those who spot does employ are modern day slaves, getting paid just enough to eat and have shelter. With no prospect of achieving anything in life.
This new business model will surely sink Target. The writing is on the wall, its only a matter of time. We all see it during our shifts, that things are only going downhill everyday , with no prospect of improvement at all.

Hey All,

So I've been searching this forum for weeks to find any and all information I can regarding external ETL hires and the adventure I'm enbarking on. I've been reading forums since I originally got recruited and throughout my interview process.

I ended up getting hired as an ETL salesfloor in a 50 million dollar store. We don't have ETL'S in hardlines or softlines, so the whole floor will be my responsibility.

I am in my first week of business college and my trainer is awesome! I feel like I have learned a lot from her, although obviously some days are more training oriented than others. We already had a DTL visit on my 3rd day and I definitely feel like she was there to prove a point in regards to modernization.

I have 8 years of retail management experience and honestly wasn't looking when I got recruited, but the salary bump they gave me convinced me to give it a shot.

I am looking for any advice from TM's, TL's, SRTL's, ETL's or STL's when it comes to making the most of my training and carrying that over to my new store (already determined).

I have read enough to understand what TM's amd TL's are looking for. Be willing to learn and adjust, get your hands dirty, be in charge of your own training etc.

I am really looking for an inside look at processes, how we operate, as well as anything else that people find important. It is definitely different than my previous retail processes so I know there is going to be an adjustment process. Clarification on job responsibilities, flow, zoning time frames etc. would be much appreciated.

I am excited to take on this new role, and also feel like my trainer is equipped to train in all these areas. Just trying to use all my resources as I realize 6 weeks isn't very long.

Also, I've seen the forum favorite "before you sign your life away". Don't need to see it again.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to give solid input that is currently relevant!

What point was the DTL trying to prove in regards to modernization?

Did you not say this not three days ago in the Market thread? I am confused on the sudden upbeat.
I try to be supportive, if you are going to stalk me and dig up my history like a pervert, look up my other classics like :-

Spot is great.
I am so thankful to have a job.
Hey you! quit bitching and push.
Take pride in your work.
Cart attendant is a coveted position.
Don’t you F ing call out.
I wanted to be a pilot but working at target has fulfilled all my dreams.

This honestly feels like a witch hunt, and I feel like I have been treated very poorly.

Last edited:
We all PMed him to stalk you. Go figure...

aee26a22e0379f13e34a870afcb32b11.jpg

Sorry for the long delay in response, just got done with another day of training!

Got some good stuff done today, learned a couple things, nothing too crazy. Also found out today that come week 3, I will be taking over LOD shifts and getting coached throughout the day. That should be fun with 2 weeks under my belt..

I'm not so much worried about the leadership aspect or anything along those lines. It's more who to assign to what and when. Target prioritization, processes, etc..

I'ts slowly starting to come together and today marks one full week, but definitely don't feel like I know enough to run the show yet. I guess we will find out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back