Archived New GSA looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

julyblues

SETL
Just a bit of background info: I just started at Target 2 weeks ago, and was hired on directly to GSA, though I was interviewing for cashier and GSTM. I'm 23, and have never held a management position, I have a bachelor's degree and was working in special education previously. I feel comfortable covering the duties associated with GSA, and have opened, closed, and ran the front with minimal or no supervision/intervention from my GSTLs for my past few shifts.

I feel like I am having some difficulty getting all of the team on board with me, which I understand. It can be frustrating to have someone from outside the store/company come in and immediately be put into a front-end management/supervision role when there are people within the store who were hoping to be promoted to GSA. In addition, some team members have commented about my age, even though there are 2 other GSA's around my age, as well as another GSA who is younger than I am. I feel like I am struggling to have some parts of the team work together, especially when I ask the self-checkout cashier to hop on register to cover a 15, or cashiers turning off their light to take a bathroom break when we have backup on...

I understand that some team members are more willing to work and be flexible, and that some team members will never like me, and that some just need time to see work ethic. I do not have any training shifts left with my GSTLs, but have brought up some of these issues with them before. They suggested that I just need to stand my ground with team members, and let them know that I am in charge and that I can run the front efficiently.

I don't want to control or "take over" the team, but I want to assert my authority so that the team doesn't walk all over me, but is still willing to work with me. So far I love the culture at Target, and want to continue the friendly atmosphere that most of the team brings. Open to criticism and suggestions, thank you all!

It’s only been 2 weeks and it takes a little time to gain the respect and trust of your team even if you are doing everything “right.” There are most likely people who are a little hurt that they didn’t get the job themselves, and that they hired someone externally, as you have mentioned. I would just keep chipping away at things and I think everything will fall into place? You seem to have a good head on your shoulders!

@Dog is right -- even with an internal promotion, it took my former peers a bit to warm up to me-as-GSA. Your GSTLs are right: stand your ground. Also, recognize people for a job well done (especially those passed over, if warranted, of course) and positively develop those who need it. When they see you have their back without losing your spine, they'll come around. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back