Archived New GSTL HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to Target, I was hired in as a Sr. GSTL. I am not having problems with my LOD shifts but when I was hired I was told GSTL is supposed to be at the front 90% of them time. I'm constantly told "this isn't your job but you have to do it" For example setting the end caps and putting out vendor frieght that I have been told is "supposed to be put out by the vendor but there is no room in the back so that vendor doesnt have a spot". I am constantly running around the store!
I have to do all the pulls for end caps and backstock or work into the departments what is taken down from the end caps (POG teams job)....I feel like I'm never there for my team because I'm always doing something else! If I'm not covering breaks at GS, Starbucks or Cafe (which is another thing I was told GSA/GSTL is not supposed to do.) I'm busy doing something else. How do you balance your time?! And when do you get to do YOUR job?

The TLs for the various departments should be making sure end caps are full and backstock is done. Delegate the checklane end caps and vendor stock to a GSA and recruit a cashier or even the CA to fill those. As a TL and particularly as a LOD you HAVE to delegate tasks. Wtf is the rest of the team (TLs/TMs) doing while your running around the store?

Luckily we have two GSTLs. We have one that does a lot with the team and is more a face for the front and I’m more of the process person and sets all the ECs and handles the coachings. I’ll do the ordering and make sure the front stays brand while my gstl partner handles the rest. It works out well and seems to be how it’s been done previously at our store.

I've never seen a Sr GSTL. It sounds like typical target putting externally hired leaders in the front because "it's easy" (their words, not mine). It's BS. The job is so much more than register and guest complaints. To make matters worse a speaker at Fall Nationals said so himself that GE's don't really do anything.

The whole point of being LOD is to be global while GSTLs are expected to rarely leave the front. Sounds like your leadership did not set you up for success. Look to transfer onto the salesfloor ASAP.

I've never seen a Sr GSTL. It sounds like typical target putting externally hired leaders in the front because "it's easy" (their words, not mine). It's BS. The job is so much more than register and guest complaints. To make matters worse a speaker at Fall Nationals said so himself that GE's don't really do anything.

The whole point of being LOD is to be global while GSTLs are expected to rarely leave the front. Sounds like your leadership did not set you up for success. Look to transfer onto the salesfloor ASAP.
Sr. GSTL isn’t uncommon. I think you’re misunderstanding what this person is having issues with. Seniors only have to really be global during their LOD shifts.

Develops your team. Always try to have someone that can watch the lanes while you’re there, so that you can feel free to step away when needed. Like @Humble TL said, delegate tasks. If your cashiers are standing at their register without a guest, they’re wasting time. Bring up a cart of vendor push, or product for end caps and have them work on it while they’re not busy.

Ask your BRTL for support pulling the product that you need for ends. Plan them out and set them over the week prior to them being due. Have your cashiers get familiar with the floor so they can work the product back to the floor.

Utilize your TMs and you shouldn’t have any issues.

Yes as with being an LOD I have the power to get people to do other things but when I'm GSTL I should be at the front lanes. I'm told by ETLs that I have to make sure it's done when I'm GSTL. I'm ok with that but if the POG team is supposed to be the ones technically responsible for setting my end caps then why am I doing it EVER?. My ETLs will tell me" you're not supposed to be doing this" followed by " you have to do it anyway". I get being a team player but since a GSTL is supposed to be at the front. The least they could do is bring up the freaking frieght !

Yes as with being an LOD I have the power to get people to do other things but when I'm GSTL I should be at the front lanes. I'm told by ETLs that I have to make sure it's done when I'm GSTL. I'm ok with that but if the POG team is supposed to be the ones technically responsible for setting my end caps then why am I doing it EVER?. My ETLs will tell me" you're not supposed to be doing this" followed by " you have to do it anyway". I get being a team player but since a GSTL is supposed to be at the front. The least they could do is bring up the freaking frieght !
How many GSA’s do have ?

I have 4 or 5 but it's the same for them. They are never at the front either. I leave them with instructions on what needs to be done when I'm not there. They do the same as I do, fill dollar spot, push candy ect. I want them at the front!

I have 4 or 5 but it's the same for them. They are never at the front either. I leave them with instructions on what needs to be done when I'm not there. They do the same as I do, fill dollar spot, push candy ect. I want them at the front!
Ok, they are filling dollar spot and filling checklane candy because thats their job, and its your job too. What exactly do you mean you want them at the front? Is your dollar spot and checklane candy located on the back wall of the store? No, its part of your work center and part of your job.
Are you saying you and the GSA fill checklane candies from sun up to sun down? Or do you think as a GSA and GSTL you just stand in a spot till a light blinks or you are called at GS.

I don’t exactly know what you are asking, what exactly Do you think a GSTL/GSA is suppose to do during their 6-8 hr shift?

Unless your one spot is in a weird spot, your GS TM should be helping zone too. When your slow do you need 3 cashiers standing at a lane waiting for guests? Pull one and have them carry a radio. They can respond to back ups. Cart attendant can't always be getting carts so utilize them to cover breaks at the lanes. Try cross training anyone that is interested in Starbucks, Cafe or GS. Honestly CAFE can go unattended for 15 or 30 minutes. I would utilize your store to cover those breaks. If your expecting, your GSA to literally just stand there 8 hours and still get their work done then those are high expectations. They need to partner with other TMS to pull the batches for them then.

In my house, PPTL does solely the CL essentials and candy resets. The GSTL/GSA/ETL-GE take care of endcaps because they always have, despite it falling under Presentation hours; I figured this was probably because 1) you make partnerships and relationships with vendors 2) owning the business at the front especially when you have visits- it’s better to know what’s going on at the front versus answering “well presentation set it there cause that’s what the adjacency calendar says.”
When the GSTLs/ETL-GE aren’t around, I showed the GSAs how to pull up the calendar to see what department they should be checking and what they should be resetting. I have the departments for cosmetics, paper, chem, otc, and stationary, and even though Plano may set the aisles, if it’s light and in PTM, I’m not going to sit with an empty aisle, I’ll reset the aisle if I have to versus flexing and creating more headaches for myself.

It’s good development for the front end team if they’ve only been at the front, being global etc etc. I have the same issues with the GSAs loafing, not being at the front for the wrong reasons, we performanced out those that did that, still a work in progress.

Ok, they are filling dollar spot and filling checklane candy because thats their job, and its your job too. What exactly do you mean you want them at the front? Is your dollar spot and checklane candy located on the back wall of the store? No, its part of your work center and part of your job.
Are you saying you and the GSA fill checklane candies from sun up to sun down? Or do you think as a GSA and GSTL you just stand in a spot till a light blinks or you are called at GS.

I don’t exactly know what you are asking, what exactly Do you think a GSTL/GSA is suppose to do during their 6-8 hr shift?
I mean if you want to get technical. GSA/GSTl should never be pushing/zoning/setting. They are to be on the beach/being the mayor at all times. If it comes off the truck and in a box it’s “inbounds” responsibility and all the sets are supposed to be Plano. It literally says in the GSTL JD that they should not be assisting with pushing bullseye, candy, snacks etc. while I don’t fully agree with that everything you just said is technically wrong and OP is correct that technically none of that is his/her job.

I mean if you want to get technical. GSA/GSTl should never be pushing/zoning/setting. They are to be on the beach/being the mayor at all times. If it comes off the truck and in a box it’s “inbounds” responsibility and all the sets are supposed to be Plano. It literally says in the GSTL JD that they should not be assisting with pushing bullseye, candy, snacks etc. while I don’t fully agree with that everything you just said is technically wrong and OP is correct that technically none of that is his/her job.
How do I become a GSTL?

How do I become a GSTL?
While I’m not saying that’s the reality of the position, it’s what is expected of us. We are to be available and basically wait for an issue to arise. You should be speed weaving and greeting guests inbetween blinkers and issues at GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back