Archived New in Position GSTL - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just got offered a GSTL position at another store (high volume too!). Just looking for some advice on what to expect, what my priorities should be as soon as i start. I know it's going to be a challenge and I've never been one to back down!

I'm very familiar with every logistics and salesfloor department, I just don't know much about the front-end of the store as I haven't really worked up there. (aside from checking out guests in Electronics often enough) I'm just curious as to what to expect. I've read the wiki on GSTL and it had some great info, just mostly asking for more personal experiences from you all.

How many weeks of training do I get? (i don't believe i'm training at my new store.) What kind of pay can i expect? (i feel like the glassdoor salaries aren't as accurate anymore. $11.10 as a team member right now 4yrs.)In your opinion, what makes a great GSTL?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help out!

I was a GSTL in a high volume store for just over a year. Priorities include keeping the front end brand, filling/setting check lane endcaps, and meeting guests needs. Learn to say "no problem" to your guests and your day will be much easier. Teach your team to be bold and make it happen for the guests. You shouldn't be called over every time a guest has an issue; empower your cashiers to make decisions that make amazing moments. And redcards. The dreaded redcards!!! Educate your team about redcards, teach them to talk about redcards with every guest, and hold them accountable to their results. If they aren't driving the results, have a documented conversation with them. Teach them how to talk about the card. Then hold them to that expectation. Ideally you are there to lead the team. The cashiers do the work. Speed weave your guests to shorter lanes and call for backup in a timely manner.

You know, I hear REDcards are pretty important.

A note on REDcards; encourage your cashiers to get REDcards for the team, not for you. Otherwise, you'll have cashiers copping attitudes faster than you can say "five percent." Cashiers, much like my old self, will begin to take things personally if you encourage them in weird ways, or say the wrong things.

I say this because different GSTLs at my store encourage in different ways, and I've seen what ruins people's days, and what doesn't.

Last edited:
One thing that I'll say even though I'm not sure if it'll help but it just might is to not only lead your team but to actually be A PART OF THE TEAM. One of the main reasons why I absolutely LOVE the store I'm at is because no matter how "high your rank" is (SrTL, ETL, etc.), our leadership truly knows how to not only lead but work alongside the rest of us.

I have seen on multiple occasions our ETLs, LOD, heck even our STL jump on a register for backup. Occasionally, I've even seen our STL walk around the lanes getting hangers, reshop, help clean up a spill, at GS, zoning in Hardlines, and I'm sure much more. You could definitely see that kind of behavior rub off on other TLs to the point where I saw one of our ETLs outside getting carts with the cart attendant one day. Yeah, you could say I was more than surprised when I saw that.

What I'm pretty much trying to get at is to not necessarily show your team that you're their best friend because after all you are the boss, but don't be afraid to show them that you're also one of them.

Im pretty much going to end this with the tl;dr version being:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 18
Also, drama. Lots of DRAMA!!!!!
OH MY GOD YESSSSS!!!!!!.....got coached because guest service said I didn't relieve them for a 15.....did she come and ask....NO....but you wanna complain to HR about it....WHEN I HAVE ONE CASHIER FROM 430 TO CLOSE AND IM HOPPING FROM REGISTER TO REGISTER TO FOOD AVE A 15 ISNT AT THE TOP OF MY LIST OF THINGS TO REMEMBER.....but I digress....:rolleyes:

I try to make all my cashiers feel comfortable and know that I'm right beside them getting guests out the store and pushing for Redcards. If im not gonna try my best and smile and lead them by example why should I expect anything from them.

Have you started your new position yet? How's it going?

In my limited experience running the front end, here's my advice:
- Build good relationships with your cashiers and train them well. Make sure they feel empowered to resolve guest price challenges on their own, so long as they're within $20/50%. Teach them the coupon policy and how to spot fakes or potential coupon abuse. Let them know you've got their back by responding to their blinkers, getting them change as quickly as possible, and jumping on a lane when it's busy. Take care of them by getting them an evenly spaced break schedule at the start of their shift. If your cashiers like you, they will vibe better with the guests and help you out by asking for redcards. Speaking of redcards, try not to pressure cashiers too much. It's one thing to expect them to ask every guest, it's another to tell them they need to get three by the end of their shift.

- Also build good relationships with the sales floor team. When fifty guests come to check out at once, you're going to rely on that team to put aside their work and come help you out. I like to personally thank people who respond to backup, as well as recognize them over the walkie. Try to have them take a register that will be easier for them to close (i.e. one that's more out of the view of the guests) so they can get back to their work faster.

- Take advantage of the slower times. I've seen one too many GSTLs stand in front of the registers twiddling their thumbs when it's quiet. Use that time to plan break scheduling, stock the registers' supplies, fill end caps, train/talk with cashiers one-on-one, and have your cashiers zone and clean up the lanes. When SHTF, you'll be glad you don't have to worry about finding a cashier a roll of receipt paper on top of everything else.

- Make speedy checkouts a priority. Figure out the best way to place cashiers so that guests can reach and see all of them easily. For my store, that's the back lanes, all next to each other. The lines end up not looking as long and it's easy for guests to find the shortest line if I'm not able to speed weave. I find that when I have front and back lanes close to each other open, the guests have a hard time getting past the line on the front lanes to reach the back. Don't be afraid to call for backup and jump on a lane if no one's responding. Communicate with your LOD if your lines are ridiculously long and they can personally find help to send.

- Finally, when everything is falling apart- your lines are twenty guests long, you've got two redcards for the day and someone just spilled all over the floor- take a deep breath, smile, and do your best. If your team sees you crumble under stress, you've lost everything. You've got to be a pillar of optimism and great guest service no matter what. So good luck, and never let them see you sweat!

Last edited:
Back up and more back up and more back up and oh ya Red Cards lots of them..good luck

I too was just offered a GSTL position and have the same questions as you as far as training and pay go. (Also, what's this GSTL wiki you speak of?) Have you started your new position yet? How's it going?

In my limited experience running the front end, here's my advice:
- Build good relationships with your cashiers and train them well. Make sure they feel empowered to resolve guest price challenges on their own, so long as they're within $20/50%. Teach them the coupon policy and how to spot fakes or potential coupon abuse. Let them know you've got their back by responding to their blinkers, getting them change as quickly as possible, and jumping on a lane when it's busy. Take care of them by getting them an evenly spaced break schedule at the start of their shift. If your cashiers like you, they will vibe better with the guests and help you out by asking for redcards. Speaking of redcards, try not to pressure cashiers too much. It's one thing to expect them to ask every guest, it's another to tell them they need to get three by the end of their shift.

- Also build good relationships with the sales floor team. When fifty guests come to check out at once, you're going to rely on that team to put aside their work and come help you out. I like to personally thank people who respond to backup, as well as recognize them over the walkie. Try to have them take a register that will be easier for them to close (i.e. one that's more out of the view of the guests) so they can get back to their work faster.

- Take advantage of the slower times. I've seen one too many GSTLs stand in front of the registers twiddling their thumbs when it's quiet. Use that time to plan break scheduling, stock the registers' supplies, fill end caps, train/talk with cashiers one-on-one, and have your cashiers zone and clean up the lanes. When SHTF, you'll be glad you don't have to worry about finding a cashier a roll of receipt paper on top of everything else.

- Make speedy checkouts a priority. Figure out the best way to place cashiers so that guests can reach and see all of them easily. For my store, that's the back lanes, all next to each other. The lines end up not looking as long and it's easy for guests to find the shortest line if I'm not able to speed weave. I find that when I have front and back lanes close to each other open, the guests have a hard time getting past the line on the front lanes to reach the back. Don't be afraid to call for backup and jump on a lane if no one's responding. Communicate with your LOD if your lines are ridiculously long and they can personally find help to send.

- Finally, when everything is falling apart- your lines are twenty guests long, you've got two redcards for the day and someone just spilled all over the floor- take a deep breath, smile, and do your best. If your team sees you crumble under stress, you've lost everything. You've got to be a pillar of optimism and great guest service no matter what. So good luck, and never let them see you sweat!
If this forum let me put the emojis I have on my phone in this reply I'd give u a hand clap emoji, the I'm crying Bcuz it wuz so great emoji, the praise emoji, and the running emoji lmao.....are you sure your experience is LIMITED ;):rolleyes::p:).....did wut I could with the emojis given lol

I was a GSTL in a high volume store for just over a year. Priorities include keeping the front end brand, filling/setting check lane endcaps, and meeting guests needs. Learn to say "no problem" to your guests and your day will be much easier. Teach your team to be bold and make it happen for the guests. You shouldn't be called over every time a guest has an issue; empower your cashiers to make decisions that make amazing moments. And redcards. The dreaded redcards!!! Educate your team about redcards, teach them to talk about redcards with every guest, and hold them accountable to their results. If they aren't driving the results, have a documented conversation with them. Teach them how to talk about the card. Then hold them to that expectation. Ideally you are there to lead the team. The cashiers do the work. Speed weave your guests to shorter lanes and call for backup in a timely manner.
BEST ADVICE I've read!!!

"how many weeks of training"

....haha....weeks

Yup. If you're lucky and your store has the time/people to spare, you might get a week of training. Most likely you will just get maybe 1-2 days of training to run the front end, and general vague advice from your ETL-GE about your responsibilities off stage.

If this forum let me put the emojis I have on my phone in this reply I'd give u a hand clap emoji, the I'm crying Bcuz it wuz so great emoji, the praise emoji, and the running emoji lmao.....are you sure your experience is LIMITED ;):rolleyes::p:).....did wut I could with the emojis given lol
I've been doing it for a few weeks now. Luckily I have a fabulous HR ETL and received two weeks of training for GSA, partially in the cash office. I can't imagine how you'd be expected to run things well after training for just a day or two. *shakes head

As a sales floor team member we have two different GSTLs and the way they interact with non-cashiers is very different. I know the GSTL is in charge of the front so mainly cashiers, but I think its still important to have a good rapport with non-cashiers and one definitely doesn't.

One GSTL calls for backups a lot more than the other and often when I go up I help like one person and then struggle to find a second person to checkout. When it actually is busy she won't help get sales floor team members off the lanes and since some people feel uncomfortable telling guests they are closed then we basically are up there being cashiers way longer than needed for the backup. She also has made comments like "the front end is the most important part of the store and that is why I call for backups even if I know its just for one person". When the cashiers aren't busy she allows them to just stand there. About a month ago I overheard a TL ask the GSTL to send one of the five cashiers to help me fold tables in girls because there were literally zero guests checking out at the moment. The TL walked away and she never sent anyone to help me out and for the time I was in girls at least two of the cashiers were just standing around at any given time.

On the flip side the other GSTL seems to only call for backups when needed; although sometimes I do get up there and there is only one or two guests to help, but it doesn't happen as often. This GSTL will often stand behind the line of guests and help us get off the lanes. Also if she has cashiers standing around she will have of them help out in a nearby area and even if its just for five minutes before it gets busy again its a really nice gesture in the eyes of sales floor people. This GSTL often thanks the backup cashiers as well and being thanked doesn't seem like a huge thing, but it goes a LONG way especially at my store.

I just thoughts I'd mention this because sales floor TMs have built up resentment for the first GSTL especially after she started saying the front end is the most important part of the store to some non-cashiers. So even though you are running the front end of the store I think its important to have a good working relationship with the rest of the store. Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
I think its still important to have a good rapport with non-cashiers and one definitely doesn't.

This. I started as a cashier and transitioned to sales floor, so I can understand front end needs. We have two different GSTLs with very different styles. One is very much like the one you described when calling for backup and doesnt like when she is asked to do something by anyone, fellow TL, TM, SrTL, ETL, doesn't matter. The second is much calmer and won't leave a backup cashier up for there for hours. She also always makes sure to thank the backups. The first one sometimes does, but not always.

When I am working sales floor (rare as I am usually fitting room/operator) you can guess which of the two I will respond to for backup. Bottom line, treat everyone in your store with respect. They will respect you more and work harder for you as a result.

When I am working sales floor (rare as I am usually fitting room/operator) you can guess which of the two I will respond to for backup. Bottom line, treat everyone in your store with respect. They will respect you more and work harder for you as a result.

Exactly! When the one GSTL calls for backups people aren't very quick to respond because either they will get up there and help one person or be trapped up there forever. It seems like everyone is waiting for someone else to go up. So when she actually does need help she has to wait longer for it. One time she called for all available backups and I was in market at the time. She called me out by name and I said I had a dairy pull and would need to put it back and she told me to do that. After pushing it back into the cooler I walkied her and asked if she still needed me and she said "yes, I need you up here to help" so I got to the lanes about twenty seconds later and there wasn't a single person for me to checkout. She kind of giggled and said "I guess it cleared up" and didn't even thank me. So even if it isn't 'right' I feel myself starting to respond slower to her requests for backups in hopes someone else that is closer will respond (unless I am right near the front) because I don't want to walk across the store only to not be needed.

But people tend to respond fairly quickly to the GSTL that doesn't call for backups very often because we know she actually needs helps and will help us get back to the sales floor because she understand helping guests on the sales floor is still important. So by respecting the rest of the store she actually helps out the front end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back