Archived New Incident Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
Team members are required now to report near misses/close calls with powered equipment to the LOD even if there is no injury or damage.

Where it's problematic is if you have one of these near misses you are no longer certified to use the equipment.

You have to be retrained on the equipment and recertified.

Last edited:
Team members are required now to report near misses/close calls with powered equipment to the LOD even if there is no injury or damage.

Where it's problematic is if you have one of these near misses you are no longer certified to use the equipment.

what exactly is a near miss? also I will second this:
No one is gonna snitch on themselves. This is dumb as hell.
Having the displeasure of working for the blue overlords in a store at in the midst of a civil war I agree. I used the power equipment there. Unless you knocked over a gondola, ran someone down, busted a hole in a wall (or ceiling) or dented the gate [sadly we got blamed when an untrained assistant mgr did with a forklift] no one knew anything was wrong. I dropped a grill from 14 feet onto concrete and no one said anything. No one saw anything either.

I could find anything on workbench. Do you know where I can find the communication on this?

I was surprised that my store let me back into FoodAve after my snafu.

My WAV training took ten minutes. I'm not going to be the idiot that reports the first near miss though.

What I would have liked was more refresher courses for the tms who rarely/never used equipment. Retrain if necessary. Waiting for an incident or near miss seems risky. Also might foster a "no tell" culture.

I agree. It seems like it would be better to do an annual (or semi-annual) audit of all TMs who have certification and whether their current position warrants it, and those who don't use them much can choose to go through recertification or have their certification removed. If they end up needing it again later, recertify.

That said, running into something isn't really a "near miss" or "close call" and if you're running into shit either you should be retrained or in situations like NoKiddies, where there are issues with the BR causing the safety issue, that should be addressed.

When pigs fly, I know, but one can dream.

I agree. It seems like it would be better to do an annual (or semi-annual) audit of all TMs who have certification and whether their current position warrants it, and those who don't use them much can choose to go through recertification or have their certification removed. If they end up needing it again later, recertify.

That said, running into something isn't really a "near miss" or "close call" and if you're running into shit either you should be retrained or in situations like NoKiddies, where there are issues with the BR causing the safety issue, that should be addressed.

When pigs fly, I know, but one can dream.
it's funny... we literally just ran through the backroom tm and followed up on training... some of them have been with us for ages... their training was definitely done.

The "no tell" thing is on point. After something bad happens it's panic mode and you think "oh fuck if I snitch on myself I'll get fired" or "oh fuck if I snitch they'll have a paper trail on me that totally won't get used opportunistically in the future to performance me out once I hit $15 an hour and payroll is down"....same as what happens with taking Zebras or keys home on accident. when you spend a lot of time in BR you learn how to bob & weave out the path of the Killdozer...uh I mean the Crown. I call it the Weirding Way. Omertà 4 life, yo.

Yeaaah. We have yet to have that in our Store and. It won't work. I genuinely don't. Even have anything to say as to why it might.

That'll go over real well in stores with small bulk rooms. "Why was the pallet so tall in the first place? Oh yeah because there's no where else to put the stuff."

what exactly is a near miss? also I will second this:
I've had pallets tip over while using the stacker. Nobody got hurt, so I think that would qualify.

Lol this is stupid. Anyone using equipment needs it and they are going to tell on themselves preventing them from getting thier work done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back