New Merch Ops TL

That is more or less in line with how it is in my store as well. Definitely extremely challenging to execute consistently. Especially since they won't let this obsession with 95% PF goal go. If we kept it at 70, those evening fillers could do other things (backroom organization, pricing, findability tasks, etc.)

(As a side, everyone I try to train on instocks can't see inventory audit in myDay. Doesn't matter what they change their area to.)
Yep, my SD wants 100% for priorities & for them to push them all too so it’s been tough. I always have to sign in for team members to access inventory audits as well, idk how else to get them access

That is more or less in line with how it is in my store as well. Definitely extremely challenging to execute consistently. Especially since they won't let this obsession with 95% PF goal go. If we kept it at 70, those evening fillers could do other things (backroom organization, pricing, findability tasks, etc.)

(As a side, everyone I try to train on instocks can't see inventory audit in myDay. Doesn't matter what they change their area to.)
It may be based on job code still, for example Fulfillment Expert and seasonal roles can't access it.

Maybe roles outside of merch ops/presentation and TL+ can't do it anymore?

Also are you guys Region 200 then? The SVP is huge on 95% PF...

It may be based on job code still, for example Fulfillment Expert and seasonal roles can't access it.

Maybe roles outside of merch ops/presentation and TL+ can't do it anymore?

Also are you guys Region 200 then? The SVP is huge on 95% PF...
Yes and should come with finger wagging towards those gm tl s who tie sidecaps with no intention of actually physically setting them. They just wanna look good on paper and don't care about the TM that pulls all the redundancies just to waste time backstocking. So...I untie them asap.

Yes and should come with finger wagging towards those gm tl s who tie sidecaps with no intention of actually physically setting them. They just wanna look good on paper and don't care about the TM that pulls all the redundancies just to waste time backstocking. So...I untie them asap.
We have a lot of these, but, to be fair, we are sent more than we actually have space for and they do have to be tied and left for a certain amount of time before they can be broken. IMO there should be an "assigned" letter with aisles to which these can be tied and when we see that location we know that it's a "fake" endcap or sidecap and respond accordingly for fulfillment and pulls.

It's always been the case plano workload hours do not account for pulling, pushing, updating counts, or backstocking. The hours are only allotted for setting. Hours are not always accurate though and a lot of the time a pog can be set in less time it is given so doing the rest of those things is easier to fit in. But- that only works if you have people who know the work REALLY REALLY well; TMs new to setting will not be able to accomplish this with any finesse and hence, don't have time for that.
Where would a Team member be able to find where it states what the set hours account for? There is no way for them to be able to tell how over pushed, or unzoned our aisle are. I've always felt it was a estimate of how long it should take if everything was in the right place and if all the previous revision where done correctly or at all for that matter.

Where would a Team member be able to find where it states what the set hours account for? There is no way for them to be able to tell how over pushed, or unzoned our aisle are. I've always felt it was a estimate of how long it should take if everything was in the right place and if all the previous revision where done correctly or at all for that matter.
That is when you involve your sd .

Yeah, in my case I don't know how that would help. I've already gotten incorect information from my SD. Thank you anyway I'll just have to keep my head down and do as I'm told.

There are rumblings about changes to the pilot, has anyone heard anything?
This is true, my ETL spilled the beans to me today. Apparently my SD will be having a meeting with TLs next week but Merch Ops ETL is no longer, they’ll move back to S&E. Merch Ops TLs will still have this role but they’re changing what we own & the GM ETL will oversee us. This is all I have so far, but will know more next week.

This is true, my ETL spilled the beans to me today. Apparently my SD will be having a meeting with TLs next week but Merch Ops ETL is no longer, they’ll move back to S&E. Merch Ops TLs will still have this role but they’re changing what we own & the GM ETL will oversee us. This is all I have so far, but will know more next week.
Ugh... that stinks. Thank you for the update!

So stores that gained an ETL position are now losing one? What about mid- and high-volume stores?

There are rumblings about changes to the pilot, has anyone heard anything?
So stores that gained an ETL position are now losing one? What about mid- and high-volume stores?
not sure for those, all of the stores in my district didn’t gain one, we just moved our S&E over

Change the capacity to zero. That way nothing will pull.

So you didn't have an S&E ETL while they were MO? So for you it sounds like it went back to nearly what it was with a tweak in TL's responsibilities?

Our store hasn't said anything yet, but through the grapevine I hear another store has made MO entirely responsible for seasonal and toys and I believe they gave the backroom back to GM.
Can't wait to see what they do in the store I am at...

Last edited:

not sure for those, all of the stores in my district didn’t gain one, we just moved our S&E over
Could be that you're in a low volume group of stores, or maybe they're testing a variation of the pilot in your district. As far as I saw from the original pilot playbook, base and HV stores gained headcount for ETL for Merch Ops. Or maybe when the headcount didn't change, Merch Ops just took priority over having S&E?

Interesting either way as the op model has closing reporting to S&E directly.

Could be that you're in a low volume group of stores, or maybe they're testing a variation of the pilot in your district. As far as I saw from the original pilot playbook, base and HV stores gained headcount for ETL for Merch Ops. Or maybe when the headcount didn't change, Merch Ops just took priority over having S&E?

Interesting either way as the op model has closing reporting to S&E directly.
I am in a low volume store, we only do 40mil. Our SD owned S&E & the closing experience since we only have 4 ETLs (HR, GM, Specialty & Merch Ops, previously S&E). Most of the stores in my district are similar in volume minus 2 that do around 70mil.

So you didn't have an S&E ETL while they were MO? So for you it sounds like it went back to nearly what it was with a tweak in TL's responsibilities?

Our store hasn't said anything yet, but through the grapevine I hear another store has made MO entirely responsible for seasonal and toys and I believe they gave the backroom back to GM.
Can't wait to see what they do in the store I am at...
Correct, our SD oversaw S&E & the closing experience. We’re only a 40mil store with similar volumes throughout my district. Most of us only have 4 ETLs (HR, Specialty, GM & Merch Ops, previously S&E. I was really hoping to keep backroom as I was responsible for the entire boot camp & now I’m afraid it’s all going to get messed up 😅

Change the capacity to zero. That way nothing will pull.
Sadly that's always after the redundency. Here it's just total disorganization. Empty fixtures with no tie on sidecaps, no fixtures that are tied to ghost sidecaps. Endcaps are often the same. Open 5 years and can't get their shit together cause they don't know or are intimidated by the talent in house. They like to put people in boxes rather then let them grow while leadership continue to make the same mistakes week in week out. Store looks like glorified big lots after Christmas sale.

Sadly that's always after the redundency. Here it's just total disorganization. Empty fixtures with no tie on sidecaps, no fixtures that are tied to ghost sidecaps. Endcaps are often the same. Open 5 years and can't get their shit together cause they don't know or are intimidated by the talent in house. They like to put people in boxes rather then let them grow while leadership continue to make the same mistakes week in week out. Store looks like glorified big lots after Christmas sale.
That's really sad. Fortunately my store is well run by awesome management. Plus we have a Plano team that knows to zero out the capacities as soon as anything is fake tied.

That's really sad. Fortunately my store is well run by awesome management. Plus we have a Plano team that knows to zero out the capacities as soon as anything is fake tied.
We don't have a plano team. I was on one at a superstore but at a tiny target now....I suggested it, offered to jump in, ...naw they created " Presentation" yah ok ...work center and put the gmtl pet as ONLY, SOLE, tm to work it. Still, endcaps outdated ,junk shelves, take them all day. And they stand around it so proud. Sad really.

Does anyone know if this pilot will actually happen? I saw on Reddit that LA stores got rid of the Merchandise Operations pilot and going back to DBO model.

Back