New POS has GOT to go!

In all of my years on this planet I have NEVER encountered such a basket of bull as this new POS system. I would be so ashamed to be a part of the purchasing management team that implemented this so called "system" and I'd have laughed my way to tge bank if I were the company that sold them the piece of trash.

I have to tell you I'm a programmer and coder and know a bad system when I see it. This system appears to me to be running on an old Win10 OS older than dirt and they made no accommodation to make the keyboard functional as well as the screen. As a result 8 out of 10 guests get bounced a different register to have their entire order rung up again because there's no way to check them out.

With all the idiocy going on that they have people in those little plexiglass toll booths that act as heat amplifiers and humidifiers, wearing masks, the fact that the plexiglass is installed improperly thus rendering the usual placement of bags too low (unless you're short), has made the entire experience just a chore from hell.

If one actually wants to keep claiming, as Target does, to keep their stores so clean then how come every time I come in the check lanes are absolutely filthy?

Between having to clean up all the filth just to check in to a lane, then set the thing up, then find out that the screen is not working so I jumped to another one and find out that that one isn't working either so I took to another one and find out that that card reader isn't working so I jumped to another one and find out that that screen isn't working so I jump to yet the next one and find out that the drawer doesn't have any cash in it...to jump to YET ANOTHER one which the belt doesn't work on and yet to another one that some slob spilled some kind of sticky stuff all over so I have to send the guests back to pick out new items because there's nobody available to go get them for them and I already put them through the belt and set them on the end only to find out that everything's all sticky!

I've edited this three times because I keep forgetting how many times I have to jump lanes and why.

What REALLY pissed me off was right after I punched in the GTSL telling me to scan faster when I've always been the fastest person that they've had in the store UNTIL the terrariums, masks, misplacement of bags, and absolutely INSANE POS system.

I will no way, no how, work Black Friday. I can't even stand it for an hour a day now

It takes me almost 5 to 7 minutes to check out one guest because damn screens don't work. I say I'm sorry to guests so many times in a day it's like a broken record.

In the interim the GSTL is telling me to scan faster when I can't scan it all because damn scanner doesn't work because nobody bothered to clean out the slide-out tray that's caked full of dirt filth and glitter from the last year!

Am I the ONLY person to see this crap?

WTF!?!?

I USED to love my job there. I'm on verge of leaving because it's just too dirty and stressful anymore.

I swear to you... I literally used to love my job at Target.

Last edited:
And by the way I hope corporate is reading this. I'm sick of how they make their stupid decisions sitting in their ivory tower but they never bother to come down and see how real things happen.

OH! Their glorious little $15 an hour! I don't want to send anybody into shock but where I live that's poverty level. Besides that, not only is it poverty level where I live, but I'm very curious to know why Target keeps on insisting it's such a wonderful wage when they're paying me who has been working for Target for 5 years the same damn wage they're paying 17-year-olds that have no work experience at all?!

I started doing this for something to do in retirement. I really enjoyed going to work at Target every day and I feel sense of responsibility which is why I feel so upset that every single shift I work is living misery now and I can't wait to scram out of there at the end of my shift.
I hope corporate is reading this

Get away from the front end. That would make me miserable on the best of days.
I have considered that because I really loved working at Target. Many people that I've seen that work in different areas don't look so miserable as the people on the front. I'm not sure how to go about doing that though is they keep on rotating the management staff. As soon as I get to know one group of ETLs they fire them all or force them to quit. Seems very typical Target pattern to me. I don't know why but for some reason they fire the really great people. In any event I don't know if I can trust any of these new people.

I get tired of telling my story over and over and over again to people...to ETLs, that is.

It's a long one but a very serious one. I don't like reliving it.

Throughout the entire thing I kept working and gave Target my best.

Whoah there cujo
I guess I can be a bit passionate which is why I've always performed so well at my work throughout my life. But it seems that Target makes it impossible to keep up exemplary level of performance. They put an equipment that doesn't work and put an environment that makes a person sweat to death and have passed out at the registers. I have actually fainted twice from getting overheated.

Strangely enough as much as they micromanage they didn't notice when I flapped down right smack in front of the registers twice but the customers did.

Very weird.

My thought is that people at the local level don't want to take any responsibility for anything. In that case they shouldn't be managers at all. The managers that I knew in the past that did take responsibility for things all got fired.

That's the Target way.

I’ve had very few problems with the new POS that weren’t easily solved. If the screen doesn’t work, turn it off and turn it back on again. It comes back every time.

it sounds more like your store isn’t prioritizing correctly and isn’t calling in or partnering with their PML to get things fixed when things break. A lot of GETL’s panic about not always being at the front of the lanes, or they don’t care and want to hide for their shift. They have to address things and fix them when they break, otherwise you end up in your situation.

There’s inconveniences in the new POS, sure. I’d like a keyboard back too, but apart from it being something new and different, it’s not that bad. It’s a big improvement over the 30 year old buggy disaster we used to have.

They gave me a 4 hour cashier shift and I had to teach myself the new system. There are definitely flaws and its such a longer process to ring ppl up. Also fuck the myday app im getting carpel tunnel or arthritis from tapping and holding the device just to get it to backstock or do anything. Seemed much easier before.

I’ve had very few problems with the new POS that weren’t easily solved. If the screen doesn’t work, turn it off and turn it back on again. It comes back every time.

it sounds more like your store isn’t prioritizing correctly and isn’t calling in or partnering with their PML to get things fixed when things break. A lot of GETL’s panic about not always being at the front of the lanes, or they don’t care and want to hide for their shift. They have to address things and fix them when they break, otherwise you end up in your situation.

There’s inconveniences in the new POS, sure. I’d like a keyboard back too, but apart from it being something new and different, it’s not that bad. It’s a big improvement over the 30 year old buggy disaster we used to have.
I, too, found the old system buggy as heck BUT I've been at Target so long and know my way around computers quite well so knew how to "tame the beasts" with the keyboard. Can't do it with the new system. I tried everything I could think of including unplugging the screen and plugging it back in to reset and it just doesn't work right.

In phones and notebooks, which I customize, when that occurs (and it's happened to me twice on my phone customization in the last 4 years...I sent the client's phones back to manufacturer and got new ones) it's a burnt pixel that can't read touch. One can FORCE it to read by manipulation (a neighboring pixel may be sensitive) but the screens at Target can't be manipulated.

It's just a pure nightmare.

I'd take the OLD disaster back over this one any day. At least I could make that one work.

Last edited:
They gave me a 4 hour cashier shift and I had to teach myself the new system. There are definitely flaws and its such a longer process to ring ppl up. Also fuck the myday app im getting carpel tunnel or arthritis from tapping and holding the device just to get it to backstock or do anything. Seemed much easier before.
If I could post a photo of my hand after the new systems were put into place, without giving away my identity, I would.

I, too, had severe carpal tunnel syndrome caused by Target. I wasn't hired for cashier but thrown on it and got so many RedCards that I could never escape. I devised a method to make check out fast and easy and the carpal tunnel syndrome disappeared.

In the last month since the screen only system it has returned with a vengeance. My hand actually won't even open all the way anymore and I can't pick things up without dropping them. My whole right arm to my elbow is in severe pain and scrunched up like it's not even alive.

I cannot work with the new touch screen system. It seems to me that the idiotic nitwits that sold that system to Target should know have provided a remedy for this. Not everyone has huge hands and MOST people can type a lot faster that keep punching a darn screen like a monkey as the customer stands there for minutes on end.

They didn't even provide a magnetic pen, which is what ANYONE that uses such a screen often, uses.

Instead one has to stand there punching the screen over and over and over again.

I've never seen anything so idiotic in my entire life

As you know, there isn't a pain killer on the planet to stop the pain of carpal tunnel. I'm infuriated that I've overcome so much medically only to be brought down by carpal tunnel over the new and oh so improved and speedy POS (piece of shit) Target systems.

In all of my years on this planet I have NEVER encountered such a basket of bull as this new POS system. I would be so ashamed to be a part of the purchasing management team that implemented this so called "system" and I'd have laughed my way to tge bank if I were the company that sold them the piece of trash.

I have to tell you I'm a programmer and coder and know a bad system when I see it. This system appears to me to be running on an old Win10 OS older than dirt and they made no accommodation to make the keyboard functional as well as the screen. As a result 8 out of 10 guests get bounced a different register to have their entire order rung up again because there's no way to check them out.

With all the idiocy going on that they have people in those little plexiglass toll booths that act as heat amplifiers and humidifiers, wearing masks, the fact that the plexiglass is installed improperly thus rendering the usual placement of bags too low (unless you're short), has made the entire experience just a chore from hell.

If one actually wants to keep claiming, as Target does, to keep their stores so clean then how come every time I come in the check lanes are absolutely filthy?

Between having to clean up all the filth just to check in to a lane, then set the thing up, then find out that the screen is not working so I jumped to another one and find out that that one isn't working either so I took to another one and find out that that card reader isn't working so I jumped to another one and find out that that screen isn't working so I jump to yet the next one and find out that the drawer doesn't have any cash in it...to jump to YET ANOTHER one which the belt doesn't work on and yet to another one that some slob spilled some kind of sticky stuff all over so I have to send the guests back to pick out new items because there's nobody available to go get them for them and I already put them through the belt and set them on the end only to find out that everything's all sticky!

I've edited this three times because I keep forgetting how many times I have to jump lanes and why.

What REALLY pissed me off was right after I punched in the GTSL telling me to scan faster when I've always been the fastest person that they've had in the store UNTIL the terrariums, masks, misplacement of bags, and absolutely INSANE POS system.

I will no way, no how, work Black Friday. I can't even stand it for an hour a day now

It takes me almost 5 to 7 minutes to check out one guest because damn screens don't work. I say I'm sorry to guests so many times in a day it's like a broken record.

In the interim the GSTL is telling me to scan faster when I can't scan it all because damn scanner doesn't work because nobody bothered to clean out the slide-out tray that's caked full of dirt filth and glitter from the last year!

WTF!?!?

I USED to love my job there. I'm on verge of leaving because it's just too dirty and stressful anymore.

What type of development ability do you have?

Many, many years ago, when we still had LRTs and PDAs, I built some functional demos and storyboards for the team on applications we could build to make our LRTs/PDAs more functional.

Target does offer an API which you could use to build a mockup of a POS system, if you feel the system isn't working, build something to show them how it could be better. You can reach out to corporate (Target Computing Systems) and possibly get some information on accessing the internal API, but the public facing one would probably be fine to build a mock-up.

As you know, there isn't a pain killer on the planet to stop the pain of carpal tunnel. I'm infuriated that I've overcome so much medically only to be brought down by carpal tunnel over the new and oh so improved and speedy POS (piece of shit) Target systems.
There is, gabapentin. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

So sorry you have it so bad. I feel mine developing and sucks because I plan to crochet for my grandkids in my older years. I am doing everything I can using the gun accessory and even alternating to my left hand at times.

WTF!?!?

I am sorry, the registers are dirty? Why don’t you clean them? Would like us to hire you a bagger? a geisha to fan you because the plexiglass is not made of a breathable material, like chicken wire?
How about a calculator so you can tabulate the guest order faster, and cash only so you don’t have to deal with the agony of modern technology and its pitfalls.
You sound so burned out, its time to punch out.

They brought the 'new' POS to our Starbucks; biggest pain in the ass.
Guests can't swipe giftcards or their goldcards; they have to be keyed in manually & not all giftcards have scan codes.
The menu layout is very convoluted & several add-ons aren't included on all the drinks.
Receipts print out for every. single. transaction. We are burning through receipt tape like crazy & tossing nearly all of it.
Pretty sure they didn't consult with baristas at all while designing this app.

Sadly, the PML is no longer allowed to fix the front end. The SETLs (or GSA type of TM) can request that the registers be via the My Help app on the zebra. There are a few things that require calling 701, but most everything can be arranged on the My Device. It sounds like the SETLs at the OPs store don't know this. Mine didn't, so I started requesting things get fixed and taught the SETL to do it. Now, all our registers appear to be working!

What type of development ability do you have?

Many, many years ago, when we still had LRTs and PDAs, I built some functional demos and storyboards for the team on applications we could build to make our LRTs/PDAs more functional.

Target does offer an API which you could use to build a mockup of a POS system, if you feel the system isn't working, build something to show them how it could be better. You can reach out to corporate (Target Computing Systems) and possibly get some information on accessing the internal API, but the public facing one would probably be fine to build a mock-up.
I've 2l years tenure as a programmer for Microsoft. The issue is that many of target's cash registers simply do not work as they are not well maintained.

It's quite surprising to me that Target employs no IT department (at least not from what I've seen in the last 5 years).

I've 2l years tenure as a programmer for Microsoft. The issue is that many of target's cash registers simply do not work as they are not well maintained.

It's quite surprising to me that Target employs no IT department (at least not from what I've seen in the last 5 years).
Since the major breach and the push to the PCI-DSS most POS systems that try to get to fancy end up getting bogged down in implementation for precisely the reason you mention, they're not being maintained. They look nice, that's about it.

Sadly, the IBM/Toshiba front end software, as awful as it is, tends to be much faster due to it's more simplistic implementation.

Back