Archived New softlines TM- New job anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

I’m a new softlines TM, and I’m new to Target. I have done my 16 hr training. Today is my 1st actual shift. And I still feel nervous! I think I don’t get trained enough. I haven’t worked in FR, shoes, accessories and infant yet. What I did during the training was learning how to turn off the call buttons, computer training, cashier, doing zoning and doing reshop in Ready-to-wear, Mens and Girls. That’s all. I work primarily in the evenings. So is there anything else that I supposed to know?

And could anyone give me some advices on how to overcome the new job anxiety please? Even though my co workers are friendly, I still feel strange and feel that I don’t belong to this place... I also feel nervous if I’m slower than others...

Last question, my store has 2 floors, so there’s an escalator for shopping carts. What is that escalator called?

Thanks for reading my post. I really appreciate any advices from you!!!

Hi everyone

I’m a new softlines TM, and I’m new to Target. I have done my 16 hr training. Today is my 1st actual shift. And I still feel nervous! I think I don’t get trained enough. I haven’t worked in FR, shoes, accessories and infant yet. What I did during the training was learning how to turn off the call buttons, computer training, cashier, doing zoning and doing reshop in Ready-to-wear, Mens and Girls. That’s all. I work primarily in the evenings. So is there anything else that I supposed to know?

And could anyone give me some advices on how to overcome the new job anxiety please? Even though my co workers are friendly, I still feel strange and feel that I don’t belong to this place... I also feel nervous if I’m slower than others...

Last question, my store has 2 floors, so there’s an escalator for shopping carts. What is that escalator called?

Thanks for reading my post. I really appreciate any advices from you!!!

So I can see that you’ve already had several shifts now since you posted but I still wanted to offer some words of encouragement.
First and foremost as long as you are doing your absolute best you’re going to be fine. Its those team members who come in just lazily move about the zone that make us crazy. You show your team and your leaders that you are trying, and they are going to be more than willing to work with you. If you feel like you need additional training in an area, ask for it. Especially at the fitting room. Every SL team member should know and feel comfortable with the fitting room and the phones.

I’m sorry you haven’t had a chance to work in some of the more....problematic areas. What typically happens is we put our trainees with the RTW team member because that’s usually the strongest team member in the SL zone. But even those “stronger” team members sometimes struggle when you put them in the post apocalyptic battle ground that is shoes.

Shoes and infants are areas that I try to spend at least two shifts with my new team members in so that they can get a feel for both the hardlines and softlines areas of A&A.
Since you don’t have much experience in those areas you may want to start with them when you are assigned to zone them. That way you can get used to it and since you have had experience with with the other areas you will have a better idea of how to pace yourself when it comes to completing you zone. At least in theory.
Move with a sense of urgency, but don’t kill yourself. And ask questions. Some of your peers may have their own tips and tricks to getting through certain areas quickly while maintaining the zone. I had a few tms who refused to zone in an area where guests were. Because "they are messing everything up". Naturally at the end of the night theirs were the zones in need of the most work. But I have one who does not leave her area just because guests are in it. Her areas are usually great. I think that is because she is there to assist those guests who otherwise would be left alone to “heavily shop” her areas. She is usually the first to finish and is available to help out in other areas.

As for the nerves and anxiety. Just breathe and have fun. We work at Target, we are not saving lives. At the end of the day, we sell toilet paper. If you want to put in SL terms...underwear...we sell underwear.
Hope this helps. Welcome to Softlines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back