Archived New Softlines TM

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! I recently just got hired as a softlines team member. I had my first day of training yesterday. Shockingly they didn’t have me trained as a cashier which what I have heard is that your first day is always learning the register. Anyway, my trainer was kind of rude. She had that attitude where like she didn’t want to train me at all. She toured me to the back room and all the softlines department. She talks very fast and I barely caught up on things. I still feel so lost. I just have few questions for anybody who has been a softlines tm that would help me in this process. Any advice too is welcome.

*how do you talk/speak using the walkie talkies? I personally am really bad at conversating. I just need some pointers on what to say when I need to look for somebody, or talk to the LOD or letting th LOD know I’m going to take my break and lunch.

*if you were hired as an apparel and accessories tm, is being a fitting room operator part of your responsibilities? I am scheduled to train next weeks

*how do you know when you are scheduled as the FRO of the day?

*when I take break or lunch, do I take my walkie talkie with me?

*how many closers are there usually for softlines?

Thank you! I probably will have more questions but I will post them later since I cannot think of anything yet.

Hi Cookie, I've only been with spot for a few months so others will also chime in. Training is very it and miss. One of my trainers was a little grumpy too, not at me, just because she didn't know she would be training that day. Walkie chat usually goes like, 'LOD, this is beachlover going on my 15 or lunch or LOD this is beachlover returning from break/lunch. Getting other TM's usually goes like - 'Cookie do you copy?" Or Electronics do you copy? Then a short conversation like, you have a phone call or please come to the FR. Longer calls go to a different line.

Fitting room is a SL responsibility and is noted on the schedule. Take you walkie everywhere in the store, even on breaks. In my store there are usually 2 closers and 1 FR operator, although we've also had 1 and 1.

Good luck and ask away. I've learned more from reading this board then during any Target training.

You'll learn walkie etiquette fairly quickly. In my store, SL tms do not call out our breaks to the LOD, but if you do you would just say "LOD, this is so and so taking my break." I let the TL know if there is one on the floor or if not a fellow tm. When we need to find somebody we ask "So and so, what is your location?"

Yes, fitting room duties are part of your job. As beachlover said, the schedule will tell you you are FRO but in my store, the TLs will decide each day who is working the FR. I take my walkie on break but other tms do not. Some leave theirs at the FR.

In my store, since we started our new End 2 End process, we have three closers: one fitting room and two sales floor. But now that it's getting busier, 4. We used to have 5 on weekends.

hello! I recently just got hired as a softlines team member.

Welcome Cookiemonsterx! :)

*how do you talk/speak using the walkie talkies? I personally am really bad at conversating. I just need some pointers on what to say when I need to look for somebody, or talk to the LOD or letting th LOD know I’m going to take my break and lunch.

Walkies have four channels:
- Channel 1 - default channel; everyone in the entire store can hear whatever you say on here
- Channel 2 - go here if you need to reach backroom TMs (or whichever work center occupies this channel at your store)
- Channel 3 and 4 - use for longer, more private conversation (note: keep in mind that anyone who switches to these channels can eavesdrop on you)

Like @Leo47 said, the best way to learn how to talk is to listen to how other people speak on the walkie at your store.

Let me help you out with some starter basics:
- "Good morning, LOD! This is [insert your name] clocking in for the day. What would you like me to work on?"
- "LOD, this is [insert your name] going on [my 15 / my first break / my lunch / my second 15 / my last break]."
- "LOD, this is [insert your name]. I am back from [my 15 / my first break / my lunch / my second 15 / my last break]."
- "LOD, this is [insert your name] clocking out for the day."
- "LOD, do you copy?" *LOD responds* "You have a call holding on 228#." (This line is used by operators.)

You can ask for anyone in the store by saying, "___, do you copy?" Once they confirm that they heard you, let them know what you need to say. If you are aware that you will need to go back and forth a lot, ask the person to go to channel 3 or 4 to continue the conversation. Don't hold up channel 1.

If anyone walkies for you, answer them by saying, "Go for [insert your name]."

*if you were hired as an apparel and accessories tm, is being a fitting room operator part of your responsibilities? I am scheduled to train next weeks

Yes. Fitting room is part of A&A. The work centers that handle operator duties vary store by store; it could be any combination between A&A, Electronics, HR, and Guest Services.

*how do you know when you are scheduled as the FRO of the day?

Like others have said, check the Daily Schedule Grid. It will say something along the lines of "FR" or "FRO" next to your name.

*when I take break or lunch, do I take my walkie talkie with me?

Yes. If you put your walkie back, someone will probably take it and you might not have one anymore.

One thing to remember is to turn your walkie off during your breaks and lunches. Do not respond to any walkie calls. Using the walkie counts as working off-the-clock so you can get in trouble for doing it.

*how many closers are there usually for softlines?

All stores are not the same. It depends on factors like store volume size, sufficient staffing, sufficient payroll hours, etc.

Hope this helps! :D

Last edited:
Thank you everybody! I just finished my second day of training and it is much better than my first day. I am actually getting the hang of things. I had a better trainer and she basically went over mostly everything I needed to know about closing shift and also how to use the walkie talkies. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back