Archived New technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At today's huddle one of our ETLs said that at that big meeting they all just had they said that there is going to be new technology for team members rolling out in the stores? She didn't really explain what but all she said was something about iPads and iPod touches and something about smaller PDAs...Anyone know anything about this or when all this is going to happen?

At today's huddle one of our ETLs said that at that big meeting they all just had they said that there is going to be new technology for team members rolling out in the stores? She didn't really explain what but all she said was something about iPads and iPod touches and something about smaller PDAs...Anyone know anything about this or when all this is going to happen?

Our STL told us on sunday about this new technology. He said it was discussed at this big STL meeting he had gotten back from in Minneapolis. Apparently there will be iPads in the fitting room and by infant hardlines for guests to interact with as well as us team members to help guests find stuff online (Im guessing these iPads will be all around the store, he didnt specify). He also mentioned that there's going to be a phone app for team members that lets you check your work schedule and it automatically updates if theres any changes to it, im looking forward on this one lol. I dont remember him mentioning anything about the smaller PDAs unless he forgot about it. Time wise he didnt give an specific date, he said it could be 6 months to 1 year or more, that it wasn't made clear at the meeting.

Our STL told us on sunday about this new technology. He said it was discussed at this big STL meeting he had gotten back from in Minneapolis. Apparently there will be iPads in the fitting room and by infant hardlines for guests to interact with as well as us team members to help guests find stuff online (Im guessing these iPads will be all around the store, he didnt specify). He also mentioned that there's going to be a phone app for team members that lets you check your work schedule and it automatically updates if theres any changes to it, im looking forward on this one lol. I dont remember him mentioning anything about the smaller PDAs unless he forgot about it. Time wise he didnt give an specific date, he said it could be 6 months to 1 year or more, that it wasn't made clear at the meeting.
That's pretty cool! Ipods would definitely help. I don't know how many times I need to look something up and have conflicted thoughts about taking my phone out to check for the guest.

From my understanding, Ipods are what we will be seeing soon... If you have been to an Apple Store they use them and they have cases and red lasers on them for scanning... They are faster than our PDAs/LPDAs and you can buy like 10 of them for the price of one LPDA...

From my understanding, Ipods are what we will be seeing soon... If you have been to an Apple Store they use them and they have cases and red lasers on them for scanning... They are faster than our PDAs/LPDAs and you can buy like 10 of them for the price of one LPDA...

I've actually never been to an Apple store, but that sounds pretty cool!

From another thread:

Right now there are 40 stores currently in pilot for the new Motorola MC9200's, and there are 100 more stores slated to be added to the pilot in June. After the pilot is over, all stores will convert to the MC9200's, effectively replacing the MC9060's and 9090's that the stores use. What's different about these? They run 10 times faster for Web applications (making search and application functions near instant) and also have a slight boost to RFAPP's. RFAPP's never really saw a huge increase to overall speed and performance to it, but that's because the eventual plan is to move everything to Web-based applications (way down the pipeline.) There is no laser anymore, they are LED-based cameras/imagers with cross-hairs that can read both barcodes and QRC's. The overall design/shape of the PDA has remained the same.

50x6SQm.jpg

This one I won't say much about as it is still in beta... lets just say it is the eventual replacement to your beloved LPDA's...

FRmvjHR.jpg

From what I have read spot is using a hybrid of Android.

I just don't understand why the PDAs have to be so freaking big. I wish we could just all have the LPDA types...It's such a hassle to lug the PDA around and I don't use those waist holster things because they give me killer muffin top(mostly a female thing lol)...But I've worked at Circuit City, Best Buy and Target and I've hated the PDAs/telxons at every one :/
From another thread:

Right now there are 40 stores currently in pilot for the new Motorola MC9200's, and there are 100 more stores slated to be added to the pilot in June. After the pilot is over, all stores will convert to the MC9200's, effectively replacing the MC9060's and 9090's that the stores use. What's different about these? They run 10 times faster for Web applications (making search and application functions near instant) and also have a slight boost to RFAPP's. RFAPP's never really saw a huge increase to overall speed and performance to it, but that's because the eventual plan is to move everything to Web-based applications (way down the pipeline.) There is no laser anymore, they are LED-based cameras/imagers with cross-hairs that can read both barcodes and QRC's. The overall design/shape of the PDA has remained the same.

50x6SQm.jpg

This one I won't say much about as it is still in beta... lets just say it is the eventual replacement to your beloved LPDA's...

FRmvjHR.jpg

From what I have read spot is using a hybrid of Android.

I actually work at a Pilot store and we can use these right now.... if we want...

None of us do because at the moment they do absolutely nothing... They are much smaller than even LPDA's about the size of a large Iphone.... Access to Target.com will be included for guests as well...

-- What excites me the most is that I was told by my ETL that they will also allow Team Members to connect DIRECTLY to guest calls using their PDA as a phone instead of a Call Box (YAY!!!!!)... so no more getting asked if we have something... walking 50 yards back to the phone... only to be asked how much the other comparable items are...

--- I am still waiting for the PDA's that can teleport me directly to call boxes.

From what I was told (Or from what I can remember) Our store would be getting them mid to late October...

Also the Size and shape HAS changed... and the ones my Team Members and myself got to play around with are about the size of an Ipod

Last edited:
Glad to see we are still sticking with Motorola. I hope my store gets those! I wonder though which Moto the new ones come from, as the second image looks similar to a phone. I know the PDA's are supported by Motorola Solutions, but that second image looks like it's made by Google owned Motorola.

they will also allow Team Members to connect DIRECTLY to guest calls using their PDA as a phone instead of a Call Box

Oh my god, really?! Some of the phones in my store don't even work (the one in domestics is flat out missing) and I would be SO EXCITED about this.

As an aside, I've noticed that the LPDAs at my store have buttons that look like a green phone handset and a red phone handset. Are these things designed to take calls, if they're programmed to do so?

It is important to keep in mind that most of these devices are currently in Proof of Concept phases, with the exception being for the MC9290 that is coming to the end of pilot very soon. Most of these devices will probably not leave POC due to another device competing for an alternative position that ends up doing the same task/functions as the other, only better. Backroom Headsets for example, hasn't even entered POC yet as the overall architecture integrated with Telnet and Naurtech is still extremely limited and dormant in capabilities.

The 9290's were originally planned to be out by now, but a critical problem was documented on the most recent Fusion patch that delayed the final image from being uploaded onto the thousands of PDA's ready to be deployed to stores at the DRC. To be frank, applications were doubling input on both WebApps and RFAPP's, so your number would be entered in twice or input would become 'stuck'. Narrowing down the source has been... tedious as it appears to be a mix of both hardware and application. Rest assured, deployment is still slated for this year.

Target Canada has been a great guinea pig using the new Chrome-based applications for their devices. One of the main reasons WebApp's performs slowly in the US is because it is still Java based. Perhaps a complete overhaul is in the future, eh? RFAPP's has been slowly making its way out the door for a complete WebApp's submersion as you may have noticed applications slowly leaving RF and being converted over into a Web App. The next major application to take place soon is removal of SUBT from RFAPP's and move it into WebApp's.

Obviously, this year is a massive push for technology innovation and upgrades, and again it's important to not become tunnel visioned on what is presented as it might not be the final product, only to be surprised with something else completely different. Some things that are confirmed for release are new POS's, new Vodafone card readers, new Kodak kiosks, just to name a few.

A teaser? Perhaps this: Motorola walkies will one day be a thing of the past; no more exposed antenna's stabbing team members.

We are also a test store for the new IPod Touch devices. Honestly, it's no different than whipping out my iPhone and looking up a movie or book on the target app that way, in fact it may be slower since Target didn't do anything about the fact that you have to log into its Wi-Fi each time you turn on the phone (I rely on my 4G LTE for that exact reason). It's a good idea for some people, but all of us in electronics already carry around our phone with the target app because it's just so much faster.

...in fact it may be slower since Target didn't do anything about the fact that you have to log into its Wi-Fi each time you turn on the phone (I rely on my 4G LTE for that exact reason).

Target's equipment runs off a different WiFi network that doesn't have that restriction.

I think we are a pilot store. I are supposed to be getting new pda and lpdas really soon.

...in fact it may be slower since Target didn't do anything about the fact that you have to log into its Wi-Fi each time you turn on the phone (I rely on my 4G LTE for that exact reason).

Target's equipment runs off a different WiFi network that doesn't have that restriction.

I'm talking about the new iPod Touch devices my store is a pilot for. There is practically nothing different about them than one you buy at the store except they come in a durable battery backup case. You still need to log into the guest wifi whenever you turn on the phone. All it has is target apps and the Red laser app you can download anywhere

That's probably why we have the report where you can see who last signed in. Granted, if someone stole an iPod without logging in then it would look like whoever had it last lost/stole it.

I'm talking about the new iPod Touch devices my store is a pilot for. There is practically nothing different about them than one you buy at the store except they come in a durable battery backup case. You still need to log into the guest wifi whenever you turn on the phone. All it has is target apps and the Red laser app you can download anywhere

Gotcha!

Oh man, I hope my store doesn't go back to trying to lock equipment up if we get new stuff. We tried that last year and TSC is just too undermanned to do it effectively. You end up with a ton of closing TM's waiting around for an ETL to come over and get you equipment, and the weekend's forget it lol. There is nobody at TSC on weekends at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back