Archived New to guest services

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m new to the break room and new to target in general. I’m a junior college student and just started at my store for the summer a couple weeks ago. They’re primarily keeping me in guest services and I’ve just found it’s taking me a longer time to get things down.

I understand simple returns, exchanges, drive up/pick ups, etc. but can get really lost when it comes to unique customer situations. I feel like I am always asking the workers around me for help and think I’m starting to seem slow/incompetent to them since everything seems so natural to them. I know I’m new and it takes time to learn, but i feel like my window of getting confused is getting smaller when it comes to annoying my coworkers.

I was hoping for some advice anyone has for working at guest services, especially any about certain scenarios to expect/functions on the register to know how to utilize

Learning by doing really is the best way at GS. You'll get it. Just observe their interactions and pick up tips. GS has a lot of moving parts sometimes and scenarios will be wildly different from day to day and store to store.

Hi, and welcome! Search for "guest services" in the search function. I did when I became a new GSTM, and bookmarking those threads was truly a lifesaver.
Also take a look at the "Can I Speak to a Manager?" thread. That has a lot of great information about the changes taking place at the Service Desk.
You can always feel free to PM me, too! I'll be happy to do what I can to help.

PLEASE don't feel like you're annoying fellow GSTMs. GS is probably the hardest work center to learn how to do (maybe Starbucks), because every day has a new situation. Your fellow TMs are here to help in person and on this site. We'd rather you ask 100000 times and get it right than guess and get it wrong.

Ask questions here, in person, and my DMs on this site are open too (and many other GSTMs on this site as well I'm sure would be happy to answer)

Yes yes yes to what everyone else is saying. Guest Service is difficult to learn because every situation is different. Whenever I'm training someone new at the service desk one of the first things I tell them is that you will always run into situations where you need a second opinion. I've been over there nearly two years now and there are still times when I ask another TM for their opinion on something. Keep in mind that everyone who is trained once was in your shoes second guessing themselves. You will make mistakes. You will feel lost. You will need to ask someone for help. It's all part of the learning curve.

Yes yes yes to what everyone else is saying. Guest Service is difficult to learn because every situation is different. Whenever I'm training someone new at the service desk one of the first things I tell them is that you will always run into situations where you need a second opinion. I've been over there nearly two years now and there are still times when I ask another TM for their opinion on something. Keep in mind that everyone who is trained once was in your shoes second guessing themselves. You will make mistakes. You will feel lost. You will need to ask someone for help. It's all part of the learning curve.
^^^^ this. I still turn to fellow GSTMs too after 2 years. Even ones who have been there for less time, just for another set of eyes on the problem. Teamwork is crucial

Honestly for me tech comes naturally so learning POS was easy, but it took MONTHS (not exaggerating) for me to figure out like where defectives went and what symbol meant what and what bin was what. Also took a while to learn cart numbers (since when I started we had bins no carts, then switched back about a year ago)... though now cart numbers are defunct :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back