Archived New Transfer Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just transferred to a new store that's two and a half hours away from my old store due to a move for college. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I have to move back to the city (where my old store is located) for the summer, and won't be back until the fall. Right now, I'm probably thinking I'll have to just quit. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go on an LOA or transfer back to my old store for the summer, but I feel like they probably won't allow it since my transfer was just approved literally two days ago. Does anyone know? Will I just have to quit? Thank you!

Can you really do this? I tried to “transfer” to another Target about 11 miles closer to my house and the HR lead said I had to wait until an opening similar to my position. The bad thing is that the only position I have ever seen for that store is cart attendant, and I’ve been checking for a few months.

I just transferred to a new store that's two and a half hours away from my old store due to a move for college. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I have to move back to the city (where my old store is located) for the summer, and won't be back until the fall. Right now, I'm probably thinking I'll have to just quit. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go on an LOA or transfer back to my old store for the summer, but I feel like they probably won't allow it since my transfer was just approved literally two days ago. Does anyone know? Will I just have to quit? Thank you!
When you say your transfer has been approved do you mean you are working at the new store now or simply that they have agreed to accept you as a transfer? If it’s the former just see about an LOA, it’s going to be a lot of hassle for both stores to keep transferring you. If it’s the latter you still have time - talk to your HR asap about your desire to stay longer. They can reach out to the other store and see if they’re willing to wait a little bit longer for you to transfer out there.
Can you really do this? I tried to “transfer” to another Target about 11 miles closer to my house and the HR lead said I had to wait until an opening similar to my position. The bad thing is that the only position I have ever seen for that store is cart attendant, and I’ve been checking for a few months.
All your store would have to do is be willing to let you go and email the other store to see if they would accept you as a transfer. They exchange some information about you (what work center you’re in, what you know, attendance record, any documented conversations, and once the other store agrees they’ll likely share your phone number to reach out to you). Once they’ve agreed to talk to you the new store can either do a formal interview, a casual conversation in store, or just a phone conversation. At that point they’re just seeing if you’ll be a good fit at their store so please be genuine.

When you say your transfer has been approved do you mean you are working at the new store now or simply that they have agreed to accept you as a transfer? If it’s the former just see about an LOA, it’s going to be a lot of hassle for both stores to keep transferring you. If it’s the latter you still have time - talk to your HR asap about your desire to stay longer. They can reach out to the other store and see if they’re willing to wait a little bit longer for you to transfer out there.

The new store approved the transfer and I am now an employee at the new store instead of my old store, however, I don't have my first shift there until the 16th. I'm scared that they would be unwilling to let me go on an LOA since I haven't even had my first day there yet, and they'd simply tell me no and I'd just have to quit.

All you can really do is reach out to them and see how flexible they can be with your start date. They have a need for you by the 16th and they’ll have to fill it with someone else. By delaying your start they might not need you until later in the fall, around when seasonal hiring starts. Ask your new store as soon as possible. They’re going to be to the only ones who have your answer.

Just for the sake of full disclosure I do want to warn you that you’ll likely have an uphill battle at your new store. If this truly is out of your control or not all they are going to see is a small headache at the very least. When you do start be super impressive so they’ll feel you’re worth the wait.

All your store would have to do is be willing to let you go and email the other store to see if they would accept you as a transfer. They exchange some information about you (what work center you’re in, what you know, attendance record, any documented conversations, and once the other store agrees they’ll likely share your phone number to reach out to you). Once they’ve agreed to talk to you the new store can either do a formal interview, a casual conversation in store, or just a phone conversation. At that point they’re just seeing if you’ll be a good fit at their store so please be genuine.
So my HR lead is full of it?

So my HR lead is full of it?
Short answer, yes. Long answer? If it’s closer try going and talking to someone there. At a minimum HR should have office hours Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. Or even just call them. Let them know you’re interested in transferring and wanted to know if they would had room. The Evergreen Requisitions (God, I hate that name.) should always have a Guest Advocate position open, a Soecialty Sales position, a GM/F&B position, and two others I can’t recall off the top of my head so there will always be applicant flow. I’m not at all sure on how that works with a lateral transfer tbh. All it takes is your stores HR sending them an email to reach out and see if they’re interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back