Archived New Version of VML

Status
Not open for further replies.

RightArm

2 Many Hats...
Anyone been hired under the new changes in the VML position? What's your experience like so far as store visual merchandiser? Are you being allowed to focus on the visual areas of the store or are you getting pulled into other work centers to the detriment of the job you've actually been hired to do. And if you're willing to share, how much have you been offered as starting pay? The position is opening up in our store again as our former VMTL is leaving.

Fwiw, my store has had a regular VM since the position was created earlier this year. Her job hasn't really changed at all. She just goes around doing projects in softlines and domestics and coordinates with the softlines TL and ETL. She doesn't seem to get pulled away often, but it does happen just like it happens to other TMs and TLs.

Anyone been hired under the new changes in the VML position? What's your experience like so far as store visual merchandiser? Are you being allowed to focus on the visual areas of the store or are you getting pulled into other work centers to the detriment of the job you've actually been hired to do. And if you're willing to share, how much have you been offered as starting pay? The position is opening up in our store again as our former VMTL is leaving.

I don't know if this will help since I've been in the role for 2 years now; but my role has been redefined (favorably :)) since the "TL" was removed from my title.
I focus purely on Adjacencies and "launches" (P62, Hearth & Hand, Amplified Gifting, etc.) My daily routine consists of a quick zone of all mannequins, feature/focal tables, a few endcaps/T-walls in A&A, Trend Runs, and Furniture/Crib focals. Then I take care of most of the Adjacencies ( I'll arrange for a TM to help in advance if it's a big workload). If there's no Adjacencies that week, I look for areas of opportunity to fine-tune. I base those decisions on the "appearance" of the department, or as I look at business $$ and re-merchandise accordingly to drive sales.

I share my observations about zoning opportunities w/ the A&A Team as they are in their departments. And if the Team has merchandising questions as they push Truck, etc.... they come to me for solutions. Other than that..... the remainder of the A&A tasks; and the rest of the HL tasks, fall onto the TLs of those depts.

As you know, each store is a little different; but this is the role that my STL has defined for the VM. I enjoy my role, and the impact it has on the Guest. And NOW, I can focus on perfecting the responsibilities that I "own".

Having recently transferred from a different part of the country, it’s been interesting seeing the differences in this role (and others, for that matter). Here the VM gets pulled a lot more into other work centers. That may be store specific, but in my old group there was a very clear directive in all stores I worked in NOT to pull them.

They also had a LOT more autonomy around merchandising. For instance, there the VM had full discretion on manequin dressing, to include accessories/jewelry and even relevant hardlines items. Sunscreen, a beach towel, and some good summer reading made it into one memorable display. This is in stark contrast to my current group where direction is very much old sch0ol Target mentality to see picture, do picture. Our DTL/GTL react negatively to any deviation or extras in that area.

I do think Target as a whole still wants the autonomy in place. My old assignment (ETL-LOG, but I had my hand in a lot of other work centers and still do) was much closer to corporate and seemed to have a much more accurate read on the pulse of the company, partially due to frequency of senior visits and partially just due to a higher level of standards.

Is my store the only one who has never had a VM set the adjacency? Even before end to end, we've always had a SL TM do them. VM & I (SLTL) walk them for accuracy, but she's never set one.

So...what do I do at this point? We are about to embark on a remodel, and from what it seems, when it’s completed the VM will actually play an even more important role (i.e. be responsible for more points in the store), which gives me some hope...but it doesn’t mean the leadership’s attitude toward my position will change, or the number of hours we get will increase, so will I just be right where I am now but with shinier floors?

Hi SpeedwalkDonna! I (personally) know a few VMs that are in a similar situation as yourself. Their STL sees no value whatsoever w/ the role. But, it IS a role in our structure; and w/ that role comes responsibility. If you do get a district/group visit (magically, sometime), there is a huge focus on "modernization" and if your VM responsibilities aren't completed.... the finger-pointing will begin. So......

It sounds like you may have an ally w/ your Style ETL. Ask for a sit-down w/ them specifically. Share your concerns of ALL your VM responsibilities and ask for a "working time-line" to get back on track. ( Especially since you're about to go thru a remodel.) Ask for ONE day a week (for now) that is purely VM.....but, still offer to help A&A with your remaining time (because we all know it's a beast right now). Let your ETL know that you NEED their support to get back on track little by little to the VM role. One day a week; then two days; then three....... little by little, but always "offer" to be helping in A&A.

If at all possible, attend the weekly planning meetings in your store. It may help the ETL Team "see" how much workload is on a VMs plate.

Good Luck.....
Sprinkles. :)

Hi SpeedwalkDonna! I (personally) know a few VMs that are in a similar situation as yourself. Their STL sees no value whatsoever w/ the role. But, it IS a role in our structure; and w/ that role comes responsibility. If you do get a district/group visit (magically, sometime), there is a huge focus on "modernization" and if your VM responsibilities aren't completed.... the finger-pointing will begin. So......

It sounds like you may have an ally w/ your Style ETL. Ask for a sit-down w/ them specifically. Share your concerns of ALL your VM responsibilities and ask for a "working time-line" to get back on track. ( Especially since you're about to go thru a remodel.) Ask for ONE day a week (for now) that is purely VM.....but, still offer to help A&A with your remaining time (because we all know it's a beast right now). Let your ETL know that you NEED their support to get back on track little by little to the VM role. One day a week; then two days; then three....... little by little, but always "offer" to be helping in A&A.

If at all possible, attend the weekly planning meetings in your store. It may help the ETL Team "see" how much workload is on a VMs plate.

Good Luck.....
Sprinkles. :)

It sounds like you are getting A&A 2.0, if you are, definitely ask for this to start, after the remodel, (but before the remodel begins, you will literally be wasting time, as everything changes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back