Archived Newbie Here Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesteph0459

Newbie New Hire
Today was my orientation day and to be honest I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! I thought today would be the standard orientation I'm used to with company videos and paperwork.

My day started with a short orientation video that I watched by myself since I was the only new hire. I signed some paperwork and was given a tour of the store and backroom. After my fifteen I was told I was going to start shadowing a few cashiers. That was all fine and dandy until after a few demonstrations my trainer had me do a few supervised transactions. I was pretty cool with that as I learn best through hands on experience. The part I wasn't OK with was when my trainer began to leave me alone after about twenty minutes. First it was a few minutes then went on to him taking a break to finally me being left alone completely. I was shocked because I literally just learned the system and really didn't want to mess up.

I don't know if this was a training technique but I definitely wasn't ready to be by myself on my first day ever! I was then asked to stay an extra hour to which I was outwardly OK with it by on the inside I was freaking out big time.

Is this a normal practice to do so much on my first day? I really think if a company wanted to avoid many newbie mistakes they would make sure you knew your stuff before going solo. As always thanks in advance for the help .

Yep no training anywhere in target. They give you a 30 second spheel and you're on your own unfortunately. It's scary yes but eventually you pick up things and most team members are helpful because they have all been there having to wing it and figure it out on their own as well. I was scared and annoyed with all that too but I've been there almost 6 months now and basically trained myself in 6 different areas. Don't be afraid to repeatedly ask things and come here to ask away.

Like I said we have all been there.

I'm kind of surprised they had you do all that on your orientation day though no one at our store does. It's orientation and then some "training" schedule.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do think they needed a cashier that day because I think someone called off. By the time I left at there was only two people there other than myself.

I did want to work in other areas but damn lol this whole train yourself can get daunting.

I'm definitely going to go back and try my best. Hopefully I don't royally mess this up :oops:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do think they needed a cashier that day because I think someone called off. By the time I left at there was only two people there other than myself.

I did want to work in other areas but damn lol this whole train yourself can get daunting.

I'm definitely going to go back and try my best. Hopefully I don't royally mess this up :oops:

You will be OK. Just don't rush if you're not understanding something. Keep asking. I learned alot more on this forum than I did with my "training" at work lol

Don't worry about messing up. I was always worried about that and it just gave me anxiety. You're new. They will understand but ask a million questions if you have to Atleast that shows you're trying to figure It out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back