Archived NKG Needs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKG

Nkg
Ok, I need help. I don't want this to be a "you suck thread" either. I have been on multiple TL interviews and I can't seem wow the other store into thinking I'm the right person to be their TL. I have passed the bench so obviously my leadership thinks I make a good TL but how do I convince other stores? I'm extremely crossed trained but that is not enough value. Any tips or advice is welcomed. Keep in mind Hardline TL positions are like unicorns. Never open up...so I have to apply for other positions.

How do you feel your interviews with the other stores went? Did you feel comfortable with them when you left?

Keep in mind that these stores could've already had a person from their store in mind before conducting other interviews. Also, make sure your personality shines in interviews just as much as your answers. Having perfect answers is great, but they also have to feel that you would mesh well with the store's culture.

Good luck in the future!

NKG.... you are clearly qualified to be a TL, no doubt in anyone's mind.

So, let's approach this from a slightly different angle...... as Spot is "evolving" into it's Modernization transformation, do you "speak" that language when interviewing? Let's assume ALL stores are struggling w/ E2E and Modernization, (and, truthfully, we are.... right??). When you are interviewing, do YOU possess the mindset, enthusiasm, and responses that indicate you can/will LEAD their store in THAT direction? Perhaps your answers are too "in the now" with Spot.
Maybe these other stores are looking for a TL that can truly take their store to the "next level". Maybe these other stores are looking for you to be their Knight in Shining Armor, their Cheerleader, their E2E Guru, etc......!! I know it sounds like a lot; but that's something that will definitely set you apart from the crowd. You've got to be better than the next candidate, and the next one, and the next.
And.... I've mentioned it before, READ the interviewer's "body language". You want them on the edge of their seat, ready to hear what you'll say NEXT. If they seem complacent after your response(s)..... you NEED to reel them back in! Tell them MORE, give them MORE. Be assertive, take charge of the interview. Be persuasive.... Tell them YOU are ready for this role. Tell them YOU will not let them down. Close the "sale", so to speak.

You have a lot of supporters in TBR that believe in YOU... and, are eager to celebrate when you get promoted ! I will bring the wine !

Using leadership experience I have outside of Spot, the best way to interview is to show you're adaptable. You can talk about past experiences to show that you know what you needed to do in the past, but they might be looking for someone who is confident with going in the direction the company is going. I've never done a Target TL interview, so it might be a little different. Confidence is also important, as mentioned. I feel that Spot is looking for leaders. One downside we have with a sales floor leader at my store right now is that he keeps "dropping" himself down to the TM level -- that is, tying himself up with TM tasks (pushing A LOT of truck) and as a result being ineffective as the Leader On Duty because he's working on something that is meant for his team. This also has led TMs to be able to slack off a lot more because if he's doing their work, why should they? I always try to read body language. I am shy, so I always try to smile and maintain eye contact. It makes me super nervous, but if it's something you're passionate about, it will shine through. Self-doubt is hard to work with, but I know that we all here know you're passionate about being a TL based on your TBR writings. If you feel like you're getting pushed aside, speak up to someone higher-up and make yourself stand out. The people at my store have known me for three years, but when I returned, I had to prove myself again because I had new leads and new coworkers. I let the people who knew me speak for me, but I also showed that I was capable of getting my work done to the best of my ability. Even though I'm only at Spot for a second job and until I finish college, I still care a lot about my store and the people I work with and for.

You need to come off as bubbly and enthusiastic. Every new-ish TL in my store is super enthusiastic and seems to be drinking Spot's Kool Aid. Also, really need to show them what you can do for them, sell yourself. What skills do you have that will help the leadership accomplish their goals AND make their jobs easier.

Are you looking outside of your current Region, Group, or District? How confident are you that your store backs you 100%? Talent is always discussed at district meetings, your name should be floating around to every other store in the district.

Never
throw anyone under the bus in any of your situational answers. Always put a positive spin on anything negative, even if it’s BS.

Also, the person interviewing you should be giving feedback to your store around your answers. Seek this feedback to make improvements.

How do you motivate your team to work for you? I'm not talking recognition either.

Ok but how do you get them to complete the truck in a manageable time. How do you motivate

Run a unload contest. After 12 days of getting truck unloaded on time, the whole flow team 15 people get bagels and donuts brought in, not Target stuff. The flow tl figures out based on size of truck and boxes per minute. Minutes are added if we have a bad spill, gun shits the bed or whatever. We are killing the unload. Breakfast on Monday for the third time. Obviously a successful unload sets you up for a timely wave.

Firstly, I try to motivate my team to work with me, and with each other. If there are a few tasks to be done, offer the choice to others, and take what is left (almost certainly the worst one, lol). I'm not suggesting you always give the choice, it's not always possible or advisable, but doing it occasionally helps to build a team.

You can't leave recognition out. Real, meaningful recognition, not the cards. I promise you that if you are able to see the good things your Team is doing, and give genuine thank-yous regularly, they will respond. And recognize them upwards-make sure your ETL and STL hear about the great jobs your tms are doing. I have been known to be a real pest to ETLs about recognizing my team.

Stay calm, and keep negative thoughts in your head (or here on TBR). It can be hard to not jump on the complaint train, but it ultimately hurts the team when it's leader complains openly about how things are. I'm not telling you to drink the kool-aid, but if your plan is to lead at Target, there will be change. You will not agree with all of it, but you cannot motivate a team if you aren't onboard yourself.

This article may be interesting for you. I have seen way too many X types in my time at Target. Obviously, you would need to adapt some of the Y behaviors to Target, but it's doable. Also useful for life outside of Target.

Reading: McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y | Introduction to Business - https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmintrobusiness/chapter/reading-douglas-mcgregors-theory-x-and-theory-y-2/

How do you motivate your team to work for you? I'm not talking recognition either.
Here’s the old school way: Observe your team. If you have a strong team with productive TMs and good teamwork where people communicate and back each other up, you are in luck. Just tell your team what needs to be done, assign tasks, and monitor progress. Treat your team the way you would like to be treated. Earn their trust and never betray it. If someone has a problem, go to bat for them. Have your teams’ back, help them out when they need it and let them do their thing when they don’t. Mentor them. If someone makes a mistake, tell them about it kindly and show them how not to make that mistake again. Leave corrective action for serious infractions committed with intent, not for honest mistakes. If you are new to the team, observe their process. If the team is hitting their timelines and metrics, let them do their job the way it works best for them. Change for the sake of change can lead to demoralization and a loss of productivity. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. When changes are needed always explain the “whys” behind the changes to ensure TM buy-in. If you have old timers that you trust, listen to their advice, listen to your TMs ideas and problems and make everyone feel valued. Say thank you to every TM every day, and make sure everyone knows that your door is always open. Bring food and drinks for the team and have food celebrations for milestones. Tell them that If metrics are green for a month (or whatever standard you need to have met) that you will get them pizza or whatever. Always deliver on your promises. Show your team that you work as hard as they do, and that it takes everyone’s hard work to make a successful team. Look out for your team and they will look out for you.

Here’s the old school way: Observe your team. If you have a strong team with productive TMs and good teamwork where people communicate and back each other up, you are in luck. Just tell your team what needs to be done, assign tasks, and monitor progress. Treat your team the way you would like to be treated. Earn their trust and never betray it. If someone has a problem, go to bat for them. Have your teams’ back, help them out when they need it and let them do their thing when they don’t. Mentor them. If someone makes a mistake, tell them about it kindly and show them how not to make that mistake again. Leave corrective action for serious infractions committed with intent, not for honest mistakes. If you are new to the team, observe their process. If the team is hitting their timelines and metrics, let them do their job the way it works best for them. Change for the sake of change can lead to demoralization and a loss of productivity. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. When changes are needed always explain the “whys” behind the changes to ensure TM buy-in. If you have old timers that you trust, listen to their advice, listen to your TMs ideas and problems and make everyone feel valued. Say thank you to every TM every day, and make sure everyone knows that your door is always open. Bring food and drinks for the team and have food celebrations for milestones. Tell them that If metrics are green for a month (or whatever standard you need to have met) that you will get them pizza or whatever. Always deliver on your promises. Show your team that you work as hard as they do, and that it takes everyone’s hard work to make a successful team. Look out for your team and they will look out for you.

THUMBS UP !!! Excellent advice.... couldn't agree more ! :):):)

I have a specific question about my situation but I don't want to air it out here. Anyone that can help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back