I'm Lost! No More GSAs...? What are they now?

Amaylyn

"THIS SUM BULLS-...eye."
So, I'm hella confused. I mean I THOUGHT we're all just Guest Advocates now and above us we have the SETL (ours hates being anywhere near the front). So, why are all the ex-GSAs still watching the front, performing GSA duties, and all that jazz? Do they just have a new title? When the changes happened my GSTL left to go over to SFS (I miss her so much), and the two strongest GSAs left to go to SFS, too (Oh GAWD do I miss them). Now we have a bitter ex-GSA who blatantly ignores us when we need help (computer crashed in the middle of payment, need change) and yells "I'm not a manager!" when he's watching the front and the newbies go to him with questions. We have another ex-GSA who had just become a GSA before the changes, she's pretty good but I can tell she feels pretty powerless. So if they're not GSAs anymore, but they're not quite down here with us Guest Advocates, what are they? Do they get paid more for closing registers, doing cash office and holding the key to the change drawer? Are they still obligated to stand around and watch the front? Are they in limbo?

they’re just advocates. whatever ego they may have is on them and no one else. we may ask them to watch the lanes on our lunches or open/close/do cash office bc there we know they understand how things work and it saves us from leaving someone inexperienced or nervous in role to watch things in our absence, but eventually the goal is to broaden that pool

they’re just advocates. whatever ego they may have is on them and no one else. we may ask them to watch the lanes on our lunches or open/close/do cash office bc there we know they understand how things work and it saves us from leaving someone inexperienced or nervous in role to watch things in our absence, but eventually the goal is to broaden that pool

Who is "we"? The SETLs? I've been super confused and everyone gives me different answers at my store.

Does that mean potentially all or any of the Guest Advocates could be trained and asked to do cash office, close registers, give change, and watch the front every shift without a pay raise for the new responsibilities?

Oh crap!

So, then, all Guest Advocates (new title, new responsibilities) can now be trained to take the responsibilities of the old GSA title, with supervisor numbers and access to the money, but no extra pay. As far as chain of command goes, we have only the SETL above us to call in case of emergency.

Am I understanding this correctly?

What about the Front of Store Attendants? At my store they cashier as well, can they, too, be trained to do cash office, watch the front, close registers, etc.?

Does that mean potentially all or any of the Guest Advocates could be trained and asked to do cash office, close registers, give change, and watch the front every shift without a pay raise for the new responsibilities?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

That's why I left. The majority of my store's GAs weren't competent enough to handle all of the necessary tasks. The few that were competent enough were rewarded with more responsibility... and not a penny more in the paycheck.

As far as chain of command goes, we have only the SETL above us to call in case of emergency.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, and in my store the SETLs don't start until 1 pm. So the GA in charge, usually stationed at the SCO, is royally dumped on.

@FriedTL @Hardlinesmaster @sunnydays @Times Up

Okie dokie! Thank you, guys! This is a lot more detailed than the three-word sentences I've been getting at work.
Yes, and in my store the SETLs don't start until 1 pm. So the GA in charge, usually stationed at the SCO, is royally dumped on.

Also this... this does not sound fun. Our SETL starts at 3 and sometimes leaves an hour before store closes but I don't know much else about that SETL's schedule as this person stays away from the front as much as possible.

Either way, thanks for the responses! I feel better knowing what's going on up here >.>

I’ll start by saying I never agreed with the GSA position - it was an “assistant TL” and were taught and told to do NOTHING but WATCH ! What a terrible lesson for any employee. The individuals developed attitudes and a power high that they were not ready for and could do nothing with. Our EX GSA’s now REFUSE to cashier, like it is somehow beneath them. Guests were visibly annoyed and often vocal when made to wait for backup, that often never came, when there was an employee standing there doing nothing. Capable cashiers was a GREAT idea, no GSA required.
Problem at our store now is the same as has been mentioned: since the SETL no longer NEEDS to WATCH and are absolved from TASKING, they don’t know what to do ! I think they should be speed weaving, greeting guests, getting change, being proactive for a backup need, answering questions, training and making the cashiers better, zoning, helping smooth things along by removing hangers, calling the cart attendant for catty-outs etc. But NONE of that is happening. MOST of the day for both of our SETL’s is spent at TSC - what good does that do ?? In fact, they often have overlapping schedules. Why do we need both of them here at the SAME time, mid-day, when neither is here early.
Years back we had 2 - one 7:00-3:30 and the other 3:30-11:00. Now we have one 9-5 and the other 12-8 ???

I occasionally get scheduled as an Advocate at open. (I’m an ex-GSA stepped in role until the new SETL finishes training.) When that happens, I tell whoever the opening SCO Advocate is to treat me like everyone else ... that they’re in charge until our one SETL arrives. I also let them know I’m happy to answer questions, etc. and act as a resource, but that they can own it and need to own it, because it’s the way things are now.

I don’t get the too good to cashier attitude. I’ll hop on register anytime someone asks. Better than someone venting their spleen on me because they have to wait.

I think they should be speed weaving, greeting guests, getting change, being proactive for a backup need, answering questions, training and making the cashiers better, zoning, helping smooth things along by removing hangers, calling the cart attendant for catty-outs etc.

this is very literally what they are supposed to be doing. it is spelled out very clearly in the modernization guide. stores that allow their setls to hang out in TSC or do any of this other shit are doing a disservice to everyone, team members and guests included

i'm the sole SETL at my store and in my absence, i don't have anyone "watching" the front like a gsa would do. guest services, self-checkout, and drive up will partner to help with occasional blinkers, but i expect my team to be self-sufficient. my openers and closers were starting to get uppity about cashiering (even though literally none of them were GSAs) so i shut that down real quick

I'm a GA. The former GSA will run the front which includes responding to lights, getting changes, handling problems, making sure the carts are full, etc. Only one former GSA can do the cash office. Running the front is not exclusive to the former GSAs though. Any of the cashiers who can handle it can do it. At our store, AP does not want the SCO leaving the SCO area so that person doesn't get to run the front. Consequently, some GAs are on power trips and some get upset because they weren't chosen.

So, I'm hella confused. I mean I THOUGHT we're all just Guest Advocates now and above us we have the SETL (ours hates being anywhere near the front). So, why are all the ex-GSAs still watching the front, performing GSA duties, and all that jazz? Do they just have a new title? When the changes happened my GSTL left to go over to SFS (I miss her so much), and the two strongest GSAs left to go to SFS, too (Oh GAWD do I miss them). Now we have a bitter ex-GSA who blatantly ignores us when we need help (computer crashed in the middle of payment, need change) and yells "I'm not a manager!" when he's watching the front and the newbies go to him with questions. We have another ex-GSA who had just become a GSA before the changes, she's pretty good but I can tell she feels pretty powerless. So if they're not GSAs anymore, but they're not quite down here with us Guest Advocates, what are they? Do they get paid more for closing registers, doing cash office and holding the key to the change drawer? Are they still obligated to stand around and watch the front? Are they in limbo?
Some stores obviously are ignoring corporate. Our GSAs are gone. TY Corporate. Those folks complained nonstop, avoided guests, and caused nothing but chaos.

Some stores obviously are ignoring corporate. Our GSAs are gone. TY Corporate. Those folks complained nonstop, avoided guests, and caused nothing but chaos.

SERIOUSLY! The former GSAs at my store just reinforced the culture I'm still trying to break that socializing with your peers/supervisors should take precedence over helping guests and you don't have to do something asked of you just because you don't feel like it.

SERIOUSLY! The former GSAs at my store just reinforced the culture I'm still trying to break that socializing with your peers/supervisors should take precedence over helping guests and you don't have to do something asked of you just because you don't feel like it.

this this this

i'm guilty of chatting occasionally but never at the checklanes and never in front of guests

Back