No more insurance for part time team members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more insurance for part time team members! Are you freaking kidding me? I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach! Maybe this will provide the incentive I need to go find something better. I've been here to many years and now this. Thanks Spot! You SUCK!!!!!!

In all fairness, it is really hard to fault Target on this. The vast majority of companies do not offer health insurance to part time employees. (yes, I know there are some companies that are exceptions.... but they are still exceptions) This was kind of an out of the ordinary "above and beyond" thing for Target.

But nevertheless, just goes to show what I have been saying for years now.... Target is slowly becoming a worse and worse place to work.... and they also dying a slow death that most people still don't realize....

So let's see here. A Law that was passed by Dems in the middle of the night, which Nancy Pelosi said famously "We'll have to pass this law to see what's in it". winds up not doing what people thought it would do.

Big surprise.

It was foretold by many, many people that the law would be a disaster. Not to mention the fact that the damn government website is so open to Hackers that it makes the Target breach almost difficult.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna go on that website and put in all my info...

Wow, Target dropping coverage for part time team members for those that can't meet 31.5 average hours? Yikes! I left the company at a good time! I had a feeling this would eventually happen. For those that are affected hopefully you guys can meet/sustain over 31.5 average hours. If not stay positive and look for other means of acquiring health insurance.

No more insurance for part time team members! Are you freaking kidding me? I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach! Maybe this will provide the incentive I need to go find something better. I've been here to many years and now this. Thanks Spot! You SUCK!!!!!!

I thought they put this in effect last year when they replaced the insurance with HSA/HRA's?

For folks who might be looking for part time jobs with health insurance
Barnes & Noble
Starbucks
Costco
Lands End
UPS
U-Haul
Wegmans

Most of these have different amounts of time you have to work for them etc.
Here's an article with more information.
http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/5752-part-time-jobs-with-benefits.html

As much as I promised myself I wouldn't do this I just can't help it.
When it comes down to the security on healthcare.gov, I've got some friends who are much better with computers than I am, they work in IT and security etc.
They tell me that with basic Google tools you can crawl the site and pull information about it that would allow you to introduce nastier stuff if you wanted to.
They also told me that more than 50% of the governments web sites are as bad or worse.
Some of them you might use on a regular basis.

This also applies to shopping sites and stuff like that.
Most of this stuff can be fixed and they said it probably will be soon.
At least I hope so, my friends aren't going to say anything, they prefer to stay anonymous.

So, Commiecorvus, you agree that perhaps going onto the website could be dangerous?

Something to consider...

Anybody remember the dependents purge they did a few years back?
I had to send off copies of my marriage certificate & birth certificates for my boys to keep them on my plan. I was one of the lucky ones. A coworker in a common-law marriage had to go to the courthouse & swear out affidavits attesting to her relationship & another had to attest that he was responsible for his stepkids' healthcare even tho he hadn't adopted them (father died, former in-laws wanted kids to retain his name).
All in all, spot shed a LOT of dependents just a yr or 2 BEFORE dropping HMOs & PPOs so they've cut a LOT of healthcare expenses in a relatively short time.
And it's still not enough.

Anybody remember the dependents purge they did a few years back?
I had to send off copies of my marriage certificate & birth certificates for my boys to keep them on my plan. I was one of the lucky ones. A coworker in a common-law marriage had to go to the courthouse & swear out affidavits attesting to her relationship & another had to attest that he was responsible for his stepkids' healthcare even tho he hadn't adopted them (father died, former in-laws wanted kids to retain his name).
All in all, spot shed a LOT of dependents just a yr or 2 BEFORE dropping HMOs & PPOs so they've cut a LOT of healthcare expenses in a relatively short time.
And it's still not enough.

Last year they added the dependent partner eligibility as well.

Barnes & Noble
Starbucks
Costco
Lands End
UPS
U-Haul
Wegmans

Barnes and Noble ended their part time health insurance at the end of the calendar year.

Sorry about that.
I knew they had them and Business News Daily said they still did.
That's another company that is having major issues.

Yup and Gregg made 23,000,000 in 2013, that is 2,000,000 a month or 500,000 a week!!!!! Those of us poor employees who wait every week with baited breath to see our upcoming hours posted so we can figure out our money and our bills while he sits back and enjoys the life of the rich and famous. I see my fellow team members working sooooo hard each day with a smile on their faces and saying they're just grateful to have a job. I admire them and I'm proud to work along side many of them. I see young people having bread with peanut butter day after day because it's "free" in the breakroom, never complaining, so they can use their money for necessities. Gregg needs to come down off his high horse and take a good long hard look around his "stores" and into the eyes of the people who keep getting more and more taken away from them.

Not really talking about Walmart here. What happens there doesn't concern me. But I do have a good friend who works there and loves it. Just saying.:excited:

I'm one of the 10% who uses the health care coverage and likes it. I checked into the ACA coverage in my area and it's substantially less expensive but also woefully inadequate in some ways. I wasn't impressed.

Barnes & Noble
Starbucks
Costco
Lands End
UPS
U-Haul
Wegmans

A Wegmans opened right up the street from my store. If I wasn't going cross country I would TOTALLY go to Wegmans. Their store looks AMAZING.

We hear about all these cuts at the store/district level... are there any going on at HQ? They laid off some a few years ago but surely there's more fat to be trimmed there.

Ha! They are just wrapping up a 33-million dollar addition to their north-metro HQ campus.

I want to strangle the people who decided that was a good idea.

How do we go about getting this $500?

Barnes & Noble
Starbucks
Costco
Lands End
UPS
U-Haul
Wegmans

As much as I promised myself I wouldn't do this I just can't help it.
When it comes down to the security on healthcare.gov, I've got some friends who are much better with computers than I am, they work in IT and security etc.
They tell me that with basic Google tools you can crawl the site and pull information about it that would allow you to introduce nastier stuff if you wanted to.
They also told me that more than 50% of the governments web sites are as bad or worse.

This also applies to shopping sites and stuff like that.
Most of this stuff can be fixed and they said it probably will be soon.
At least I hope so, my friends aren't going to say anything, they prefer to stay anonymous.

Keep in mind you do not need to sign up on healthcare.gov! That is a myth!

All healthcare.gov does is merge all the various health insurance companies on one convenient site. You can still sign up directly through the health insurance company without going to healthcare.gov!

Here are some links to sign up directly with the health insurance companies and bypass healthcare.gov:

http://www.uhc.com/
http://www.bcbs.com/
http://www.aetna.com/
http://www.cigna.com/
https://www.humana.com/

These are the direct web sites for same health care providers on healthcare.gov. These are the companies own web sites, that are managed and run by multi-billion dollar companies with the cash to hire high skilled IT people. The government has never touched these corporate web sites and I promise you they are secure. The only downside is that you will have to go to each one to get the rates from each company. (much more time consuming than healthcare.gov, but you can be sure it will be secure)

And if you still don't want to go on their web sites, you can also call the company directly and sign up over the phone.

Official Target press statement on the health care cuts is out!

http://t.money.msn.com/business-news/newsarticle?feed=AP&date=20140122&id=17281167&symbol=TGT

NEW YORK (AP) - Target Corp. says it will no longer be offering health care coverage for its part-time workers.

The discounter is citing new options now available through health care exchanges under the Affordable Care Act.

Target, based in Minneapolis, said the majority of its part-time workers who have been eligible for its health care insurance coverage don't enroll. In fact, less than 10 percent of its total employees of 361,000 take advantage of the part-time plan. It said it will stop covering the part-time workers beginning April 1.

Other large employers including UPS are scaling back health coverage by dropping spouses from their employee plans if they are able to get insurance through another employer.

"Health care reform is transforming the benefits landscape and affecting how all employers, including Target, administer health benefits coverage," Jodee Kozlack, Target's executive vice president of human resources, said in a corporate blog post Tuesday.

"Our decision to discontinue this benefit comes after careful consideration of the impact of our stores' part-time team members and to Target, the new options available for our part-time team, and the historically low number of team members who elected to enroll in the part-time plan."

Target said in the post that by offering its part-time workers insurance, it could actually disqualify many of them from new subsidies that could reduce their overall health insurance expenses.

Target says part-time workers who are enrolled in the health care plan and are losing coverage will be given a $500 cash payment.

The Affordable Care Act created insurance exchanges that customers can visit to shop for coverage and compare policies. Some people also qualify for income-based subsidies or tax credits to help buy a plan.

The law requires that companies with 50 or more workers offer full-time workers — defined as those working 30 hours or more — health coverage.

Target said that employees who average between 20 and 31 hours per week will continue to be eligible for other benefits, including vacation, dental, disability and life insurance. Its part-time employees also will still qualify for store discounts and its 401(k) plan.

Separately, Target said Wednesday that it was laying off 475 employees across the company's operations. It also said that over the past six months it has closed about 700 open positions across the entire chain.

"As an organization, Target continually assesses our operating model to ensure we are well positioned to adapt to changing business needs," said Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman, in a statement. "We believe these decisions, while difficult, are the right actions as we continue to focus on transforming our business."

The move comes almost two weeks after Target lowered its fourth-quarter profit outlook as it grapples with the fallout of a massive security breach. Before the breach, the discounter has had uneven sales growth as it navigates a still difficult economic environment.

Target shares slipped 22 cents to finish at $58.98 in trading Wednesday. They are down 4 percent over the past year.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I moved your post in here because a) I posted a link to this in this thread last night, and b) I'd prefer to keep the health insurance discussion in one place.

Yuh. It has been written about. Some other guy already came out about it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...idnt-steal-70000-records-from-healthcare-gov/

There's allegedly a paper application, though.

I just did the online one. I live my life pretty hakuna matata-like compared to many people though.. except when it comes to anything that leads to a webmd search. Then, hakuna matata gets thrown out the window.

Also, Target's reason for dropping it is dumb. Some of the people who don't enroll might have insurance already from a first job, a spouse's job, a parent's job (like me and other under 26 people and a bunch of the teens that work pt at Target...)

I don't think I was gonna enroll this year, but I still think it's shitty of them.

Insurance is one of the things I'm not knowledgable about, soo, question: if more people were enrolling, would Target have been spending even more on it?

*whispers* I don't get why so many people still think Target is soooo great when compared to Walmart. And everyone thinks they're doing some great deed by choosing Target.

It's has finally happen. First got rid of traditional insurance. They moved into HSA accounts and now? They decided to gut health insurance completely. This should have been expected. Target is using Obamacare as an excuse to haste the process of offering no insurance.

Target excuse that only 10% Target workers got insurance is just an horrible excuse. They know because of the new law. Everyone is going to sign up in April and Target doesn't want to pay for 100% of the employees.

Also Target had four years notice of this was going to happen and decided not to do anything. This clearly shows that Target doesn't care for their workers. To them we are just cogs of the corporate machine and not human. We are just commodity to be exploited and thrown away when not needed.
Us workers need to work together and fight this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back