Service & Engagement No more signatures at checkout

Amanda Cantwell

Service Advocate
Target announced that no purchases will require signatures anymore (will go into effect later this month). Visa, Discover, MasterCard, and American Express all stopped requiring them, stating chip cards are secure enough to make requiring signatures unnecessary.

Makes sense since what's the point if you can just scribble whatever anyways since no one checks the back of the card (technically what you were supposed to do to ensure signatures match). obviously no one ever did that.

I'm really happy about this since it will make checkout go faster, since the card reader won't have to load the signing screen.

No changes to debit or redcard pin requirement, of course.

I think it went into effect at my store today. I wasn't sure if they just upped the limit again or what. Now I know.

I'm pretty sure it's in effect at my store as well. I noticed late Saturday night that guests who should have been promoted for signatures weren't.

Yea, I noticed this weekend. Guests always ask if they need to sign when payments happen "too" quickly and I was just about to be like "not if it's under 50... " When I realized the payment was over 50. I read about this happening and didn't realize it'd be so soon.

All those kids whose parents let them scribble will be so disappointed lol

I noticed that last night. Totally made no sense to me to let the guest sign the reader when they can just write anything they want! Good move!

Good. Guests get way too confused about the fact that they have to sign for some reason, especially at SCO and the light doesn’t flash just because some old person doesn’t understand signing in the white box

Good. Guests get way too confused about the fact that they have to sign for some reason, especially at SCO and the light doesn’t flash just because some old person doesn’t understand signing in the white box
Well a few months ago they updated it to have the big screen say “please use the card reader” and beep when it needed a Sig.

I thought the whole point of a signature is that it makes it a contract to pay back the credit company, not that people check it or anything.

I LOVE when old threads get resurrected. Interesting to read things from back in the day. Although the last posts on here before the regeneration were after I already started at Spot, so not that old, lol.

Back