Archived No training ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello , I'm new to Target So happy to be here ! Had my first day .I'm supposed to be training in Apparel . The girl that was scheduled to train me on my schedule , showed me a tour and than after that disappeared & when I saw her again she said she was doing another task elsewhere I was left alone in apparel and with no one to train me . I didn't wanna rock the boat or anything and rat her out or anything I'm not that type of girl . I work things out . I didn't go hunting people down , so I just pretty much did my own thing and straightened folded pants and put things back from dressing room .
I don't have much experience at all in retail and I'm worried this will happen again on my second day at work .
Do you know what my roles should be in apparel and what I should start doing ? Or how to handle this if it happens again and I'm alone , what I should start doing ? I don't mind taking the lead and doing things on my own if I knew what I was supposed to be doing , just was hoping I would get proper training . Kinda bummed
Thanks, in advance for any help you can all give me

Let your TL or ETL know that you will need another day of training. It's not about ratting someone out but you don't want to be held accountable for things you don't know how to do. It's also not fair for your coworkers to have someone not properly trained. They should hopefully give you a different trainer.

Let your TL or ETL know that you will need another day of training. It's not about ratting someone out but you don't want to be held accountable for things you don't know how to do. It's also not fair for your coworkers to have someone not properly trained. They should hopefully give you a different trainer.
Before you are left alone, any trainer assigned to you needs to make sure you have a comprehension as to what you are required to do. As @Mithrandir said, it's not about ratting someone out. You want to know exactly what your job is so you can do it without having anyone around. You are new to Target and like anything, there is a learning curve. You just want to do your job it sound like correctly. Your trainer should not be going to far away as you can't reach them.

When I let them know next shift ,should I explain why I need another day of training ? I am scheduled training my second day thankfully with someone else ,but will be again with the first trainer that left me on 3rd day .
My schedule on paper they gave me has the names of trainers I'll be with for that day ,for the next week of so .
Does ETL & TL change daily ? How do I find out who is mine on the next day of work ?
Thanks for all your help

tumblr_musi7k9eog1qgwefso2_500_by_accellerant-d7t1jbw.gif

Welcome to the Machine.

No you have an apparel TL and a salesfloor etl who are your permanent leaders until they leave. One probably interviewed you. Stores are required to post a picture of leaders in TMSC find out who yours is or ask HR

Some trainers either didn't know they had a trainee or don't care. You just need to let your leader know it didn't work out and they can find you a better trainer.

When I let them know next shift ,should I explain why I need another day of training ? I am scheduled training my second day thankfully with someone else ,but will be again with the first trainer that left me on 3rd day .
My schedule on paper they gave me has the names of trainers I'll be with for that day ,for the next week of so .
Does ETL & TL change daily ? How do I find out who is mine on the next day of work ?
Thanks for all your help

Just tell them the person training you got very busy with guests and tasks, and was not able to offer you much one-on-one time.

They'll get the message, and you won't come off like a snitch.

Hi Cat, welcome to Spot. Your training story sounds a bit like mine. When my trainer was called to another department, I found another SL staff member and asked to help them with their tasks. I also went to the Fitting Room and had the TM show me what they were doing. The other advice is good, ask who the Softlines Team Lead is for the day and check in with him/her and see what they want you to do. You should also learned how to check out a walkie so you can reach others in the store and they can reach you when you are working in the various clothing departments. And, don't forget to ask when you should take your breaks/lunch, as sometimes people don't ask you.

Thank you all for all your helpful advice. I'm going to like it in here You are all so very helpful . My 2nd day was a lot better .I addressed the last situation as 60SecondsRemaining suggested thanks , that was a great way of putting it without throwing anyone under the bus . I received some good training this time & it went smoothly . It was a good day !

The best advice I can give is to ask questions. LOTS of questions. From my experience, most TM's will be happy to explain, show, or tell you how and what needs to be done. Even after training, not everything will be known.
Use the radio (if you carry one). It is the lifeline to other sections of the store and a great way to get help when needed. This is especially true when a guest has a question about a certain product, but you are unsure as to where it is in the store.
While my training experience was different, I still don't know how to do certain tasks. Sometimes things are learned as you go.
Finding out who your TL is, will be helpful. Ask if there is anything more that you can do, anything that may have been forgotten, etc...
Doing your job well reflects well on you, your team, and your TL.
On my second week of training, I got called in for a 10 hour shift due to shortage. Ended up covering in hardline, carts, seasonal, register, and (my area) electronics/toys/MMB. Great way to learn the store.
Welcome to Spot!

I’m a trainer at the distribution center and I personally take great time and pride in training new hires the way I see it is if they fail or succeed I had a part in it, improper training or lack of training can cause someone to be written up, or make them not understand the job get frustrated and quit. I’ve told my managers not to refer to it as a “trainer” position in regards to me but a coach because to many times someone is trained up and shoved out on there own, but I also not only train the new hires but take time with the other team members who are struggling in production or job knowledge. It’s a position many don’t take serious enough a trainer has a big impact on individuals and the company as a whole. I train everyone the best of my abilities because that’s who I’ll be working alongside if they are trained properly everything flows better and makes my job and everyone else’s easier .... rant over sorry I know it doesn’t answer your question...

I’m a trainer at the distribution center and I personally take great time and pride in training new hires the way I see it is if they fail or succeed I had a part in it

You sound like a great trainer. This, however, is the reason why I am so against training people. I personally learn things differently and have since I was a kid. My ways work for me, but not for other people. So I feel like I shouldnt teach them my ways which usually don't work for them and then they blame me when they struggle. For example, when I zone at night I do one section at a time plus its reshop if time allows. Of course I return for touch-ups and things later. Other people can't do that and do a little bit in this section, a little bit in that.

I’m a trainer at the distribution center and I personally take great time and pride in training new hires the way I see it is if they fail or succeed I had a part in it, improper training or lack of training can cause someone to be written up, or make them not understand the job get frustrated and quit. I’ve told my managers not to refer to it as a “trainer” position in regards to me but a coach because to many times someone is trained up and shoved out on there own, but I also not only train the new hires but take time with the other team members who are struggling in production or job knowledge. It’s a position many don’t take serious enough a trainer has a big impact on individuals and the company as a whole. I train everyone the best of my abilities because that’s who I’ll be working alongside if they are trained properly everything flows better and makes my job and everyone else’s easier .... rant over sorry I know it doesn’t answer your question...
This is true ,cause that is exactly how I felt ...frustrated and was thinking I would of even quit if I didn't understand my job and what I was supposed to be doing .There is nothing worse for me than standing around and not doing anything cause I wasn't trained right and in fear I will mess things up .I want to feel assured I can accomplish my job eventually without having to have someone there with me .
You sound like you are a great trainer they are lucky to have you and your right it reflects all when one falls behind .

That's kind of poopy. I get that tasks need to get done, why not bring you with to do it? I'd talk to your TL on getting more/better training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back