Archived No transfers during Q4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bathtubblues

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I made an account just for this question. I have worked at Target, at the same store, for four years. Perfect attendance, no coachings, all around a good asset to my team. I recently asked to transfer for personal reasons. I moved (within the same city) and now live much closer to a different Target. ETL HR originally told me, "Yeah, no problem! What start date would you want?"

Today, they pull me into an office and tell me something completely different. "We don't do transfers during Q4. Our store isn't staffed enough for this, you have to wait until next year." Meanwhile, the store I want to move to (in the same city, the same district) is saying, "That's not true. That isn't at all how this works. You should report that to the hotline because they just blatantly lied to you to get you to stay there."

What is the truth, if you are familiar with this? If someone needs to transfer for personal reasons (I need to work closer to home and I need to work in an overnight store), should that be denied? Why am I being held accountable/punished for my store doing badly?

There is no corporate policy against fourth quarter transfers, and I see it happen at least once a year at my store. But there may be an individual store policy about it. I don't know if they are required to let you transfer, but I think it's pretty crappy they are giving you a hard time.

I have two transfers coming in this week. So definitely not true.

They just don't want to lose a body for 4th quarter. That's all it really is.

Thank you for the input! I have now talked to two separate HR teams and both have told me the same, that transfers for personal reasons should never be denied, no matter what. I will be taking this issue to my HR again tomorrow. Thank you! :)

Target is a company. Not a person. It has no feelings, emotions, or caring. Now, there are people who work for Target that care. But the only goal is to make money. If you aren't furthering that goal, then it's a hard battle. Of course there are policies and whatnot, but those truly are secondary.

I don't think there are any transfer rules. It's probably because your store is not staffed enough for the holidays so they won't let you go. The store you want to go to probably wants trained staff for fourth quarter and will take you in a minute.

Corporate lies, not just at target, though I have seen it there more then anywhere else. I have seen it in stores also when people want to go to different departments. It's always whatever is best for the company at the moment they need it.

Our store denies transfers unless you have a really good reason (moving out of the district, transportation changes, etc.).

Transferring because another store is more convenient is always denied, year round. My STL told me flat out that it's too difficult to hire and retain TMs at our store to let anyone transfer.

Our store denies transfers unless you have a really good reason (moving out of the district, transportation changes, etc.).

Transferring because another store is more convenient is always denied, year round. My STL told me flat out that it's too difficult to hire and retain TMs at our store to let anyone transfer.

Then that's a culture problem your leadership has to work on. Instead, they take the lazy way out and screw over the TMs.

Today, they pull me into an office and tell me something completely different. "We don't do transfers during Q4. Our store isn't staffed enough for this, you have to wait until next year."

They never said its a company policy.

They didn't "lie" to you. They made a decision not to allow transfers out this close to thanksgiving. They have a business to run. They have the right to delay transfers. Just keep your head high, positive attitude, and stay on their good side so they approve it in January. If you make them mad or they hear you complain, you're screwed.

We had a different situation at our store. We had someone who wanted to transfer and our store was willing to let her go. VERY WILLING. The problem was her conversion was so bad that the other store didn't want her.

I feel like they lied to me because three other team members have had their transfer approved within the last two weeks. I have been talking about transferring, with my ETL-HR, since before that.

I suppose we'll see how things pan out now. The other store is still communicating with me. Since they are in the same district, they should have the same information. My store is saying no, the other store is saying that a transfer looks better for the company's versus someone quitting.

I'm just venting a little. It's pretty stressful and this time of year is stressful enough on its own.

Well, this situation keeps escalating and I'm losing hope quickly. To make it perfectly clear, I never reached out to the other store or contacted them first or "mishandled" the situation. I went to my ETL HR, as I mentioned, and hashed out all of the details with them. Four days later, the store I want to transfer to called me and asked me to come in to fill out an internal application. As I'm leaving the store, their ETL HR tells me they haven't heard from my HR but they will contact my store that same day. I wouldn't have done the app if I had known they hadn't talked to my store. They knew that it was supposed to be HR to HR and I shouldn't have been involved at all until it was approved.

My STL, ETL HR, and my ETL were apparently involved in a group call about my transfer because of what the other store did. The other store even told them that they messed up and I was not to be blamed at all because I only did what they told me. The leaders I listed above are now retaliating against me. My STL has been ignoring me every day since and we used to be on great terms. I asked to speak with HR and while they initially agreed and set up a time, I arrived at that time and waited for ten minutes only to be told that she had left for the day. And now, to top it all off, the new schedule just came out and my ETL cut my hours pretty significantly.

I am happy to provide any more details that may clear up/answer questions but I am curious. Is this worth going to the hotline over? I feel pretty hopeless and just want to know how I can fix a pretty bad situation, that I didn't even create.

All the hotline will do is call your Stl and tell them to work it out. Then your leadership will be more mad. You just need to confront the situation. If you know the Stl is in the office, go knock on the door.

Tell them you love working there and only asked for a transfer because of mileage, family hardships going on, or whatever. And you never would have went to the other store but they called you and led you to believe that that was the next step in the process.

One way to help you out is applying on ehr at the other store for starters. Then, the battle begins, with both hr's. Tell old store hr your end date. Talk to the new hr about end date & applying online. That solves the issues. Calling the hotline is not a good idea.

Your home store can deny a transfer. Unfortunately you don't have a "right" to a transfer. You can call the hotline all you want, but it won't do anything since the ETL-HR and the STL can do what they want. You can quit and get rehired at the other store if you want, but then you'll end up back at square one. Plus, the STL at the new store most likely wouldn't go through with the hire, since it's a slap in the face to your old STL.

I'd put in your time at your old store, not make a fuss, help fulfill the "needs of the business", then transfer out right after christmas. Then ask for an exit interview and let your old STL know how absolutely disrespectful it was to lie to your face and pettily deny your transfer.

My guess is that you are a good employee. They both want you!
Just like your current store won't let you transfer because of staffing, the new store wants you for that very reason.
Nothing personal, just business.
Depending on current pay vs starting over, current store's treatment of you (cutting hrs & allowing prev transfers) may determine whether you simply cut your losses & put in your two weeks in.
I'd make one last effort to talk to the STL or HR. If nothing changes, put in your notice & let the other store know in case your store tries to mark you as non-rehireable.
Why should you be loyal to a store that 'delays' your request, cuts your hours, doesn't show for an appointed time & otherwise treats you so shabbily?

I am finally supposed to talk to HR this week so we will see. I am very, very unhappy and disappointed in the way this was handled. I know I shouldn't, given how things are usually handled by big business, but I thought my store would handle this better. The final straw was today when several people (team leads and team members) approached me to ask why I am trying to transfer. I have not talked to anyone besides HR, ETL, and STL about transferring so someone is going around the store and spreading this information.

Thank you for the suggestions and support with this situation! I am so lost and have a game plan of how to handle this now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back