Archived Nobody yells at the ETLs! That's my job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

talan123

Team Member/Troll
A recent walk through by a higher up caused a stir at our store. We are a D volume store so we have no hours for sales floor and so I put two spider wraps on the 3DS's. Apparently that was a gigantic No-No according to our new DTL.

The problem is that when I first started working in Electronics, literally my first day, we had a big visit from corporate and the guy who was in charge of AP for the entire company was there. I had been forced to set up an end-cap with Flip camcorders and I was VERY concerned about the theft. The guy said not only could I do it, it was a good idea.

Anyways, long story short. The DTL humiliated our STL by yelling at him in public and then making him take off all the double wraps. I have to start planning my revenge...

I don't understand why they got mad... was it because of the 2 spiderwraps? I just spiderwrapped some Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcons yesterday when I was stocking in toys and I noticed they were $139.00!!!

I can't imagine anyone objecting since i spiderwrap things for less than that in Electronics every day. They should appreciate the fact that you cared enough to do it!

I don't understand why they got mad... was it because of the 2 spiderwraps? I just spiderwrapped some Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcons yesterday when I was stocking in toys and I noticed they were $139.00!!!

I can't imagine anyone objecting since i spiderwrap things for less than that in Electronics every day. They should appreciate the fact that you cared enough to do it!

legos are expensive! I'm not really sure why...

theres a list of everything that is approved to be spider wrapped on workbench under the ap tab. we get into trouble too if stuff is wrapped that's not supposed to be. especially with our new daptl (or whatever theyre going by now).

I've noticed in our store it isn't so much the price of the item if it gets spider wrapped, more so if it's a high theft item. There are items in our store with a higher retail that don't get spider wrapped. Along those same lines we have the locked pegs. (Is that the right terminology.) I noticed a few months ago that we now have the calligraphy pens on locked pegs. The sets are only about $20 for four. (If memory serves me correctly.)

I'm a Star Wars fan and at that price even i wouldn't buy it unless it was made gold. I think that unless it is lifesize then no lego set should cost more than $30(I even find that price a ridiculous)

I'm a Star Wars fan and at that price even i wouldn't buy it unless it was made gold. I think that unless it is lifesize then no lego set should cost more than $30(I even find that price a ridiculous)

I totally agree!

I do know about the list of spiderwrap items because its on the side of the cage but i can't read that tiny little writing haha, sadly we have no ap tl or ap etl...i think we have 2 guys on ap right now total plus our undercover guy

theres a list of everything that is approved to be spider wrapped on workbench under the ap tab. we get into trouble too if stuff is wrapped that's not supposed to be. especially with our new daptl (or whatever theyre going by now).

True, but I am pretty sure a DS, 3D or otherwise should be on the list. I don't spiderwrap ours because they go in a locked case.

At my store the DS are behind the locked glass sliding doors so they aren't spiderwrap. And if someone wants to buy it they either have to purchase it at Electronics or someone from salesfloor will walk to a front lane and give it to a cashier to hold onto until the guest is ready to purchase.

your DTL is a ****ing moron. Why he would be so petty, or short sighted is beyond me. Considering the fact that most hourly low wage workers I knew at my store were better at their job, and holding the store together than the ETLs it doesn't surprise me this happened. The district that I worked in disallowed having any game systems open, spider wrapped, etc on the floor. Everything is to be locked up. If it weren't locked up for ANY reason, it would be spider wrapped AT LEAST once. Most likely it would be pulled off the floor and put in the stock room, or locked behind the electronics counter.

I feel bad for your STL.

Yeah 2 spider wraps is stupid, I don't care how expensive the merchandise is.

2 spider wraps isn't going to stop a booster from running past the item sensors lol.

pointless IMO.

So I looked at the the chart on the cage and at the bottom it says you can use extra spiderwraps for items that may be high theft, at the stores discretion. Also about the systems being behind glass...we have Wii's on an end cap and when we had a AP ETL he instructed us not to put them there and to flex that area but now that he is gone we have them there and no one says to remove them so I stock them
there.

That's how it usually goes at my store. This was a special endcap however.

A coaching for what? Doing something that has been done in the store for years? Yeah, that doesn't have stupidity written all of it.

I didn't do anything other than follow the instructions from headquarters, the VP of AP (felt so wrong and yet so right while typing that). Our TL AP guy also ok'ed because he was there with me when I asked about it. T

Because of those two spider wraps, we didn't lose a single FLIP camera to theft.

Instead of using 2 spider wraps on 1 item how about you send my store the extra ones! We never have enough of the small ones.

Wait, you used two spider wraps on a single item? You either have no clue how to use a spider wrap, or you have no idea how spider wraps work. Or, well, both. I would have ***************ed you out for doing this as well, and quite justly, because you only need to use one. If it's an item that isn't listed in the devices that need to be wrapped? Don't wrap it. Following best practice and getting a bad score seems to be more "target culture" than doing anything common sense, which results in what you just experienced.

NEVER use more than one spiderwrap per device, and in my opinion if your DTL behaves like that just _don't put high risk items on a shelf_. We leave shelf locations empty because we aren't allowed to spiderwrap those items, and it ends up working out.

A coaching for what? Doing something that has been done in the store for years? Yeah, that doesn't have stupidity written all of it.

I didn't do anything other than follow the instructions from headquarters, the VP of AP (felt so wrong and yet so right while typing that). Our TL AP guy also ok'ed because he was there with me when I asked about it. T

Because of those two spider wraps, we didn't lose a single FLIP camera to theft.

This is just so asinine though... how in the world are two spider wraps going to be any more effective than one spider wrap in protecting a dumb flip video camera? If you can cut through one, you can cut through a second one. And you can still cut through the box enough to wrestle the product out. There are tiny, easily-pocketable boxes of diabetes testing kits up in HBA that retail for more than a flip camera, and there are no spider wraps on those.

Furthermore, don't you live in bumbletown, Iowa or something? I seem to recall you live in a fairly rural area. Obviously theft is everywhere, but that's not quite a "high-risk" store profile...

The point of the two spiderwraps is to stop people from cutting the box open and taking things out of the box. With two spiderwraps, it's twice as hard as one.

Our store is between two major cities (albeit sixty miles in each direction) which vastly increases any victimless crime statistic (seriously, our property crime rate is double the national average while our violent crime, until recently, statistics are half).

This two spiderwrap thing has me total befuddled. They would be on top of each other...literally. It is NOT twice as hard to get into the package.

I think this is the general idea of two spiderwraps - to expand the coverage of the box's edges, as opposed to a single spiderwrap which would usually be wrapped around the center of the box's edges. Still though... dumb IMO.

View attachment Untitled.jpg

I think this is the general idea of two spiderwraps - to expand the coverage of the box's edges, as opposed to a single spiderwrap which would usually be wrapped around the center of the box's edges. Still though... dumb IMO.

View attachment 49

Thanks FS. I was not using my problem solving skills. That actually is much harder to get into. Still not a fan. Its just as easy to clip 1 wire as it is to clip 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back