Archived Non-Rehireable question. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I worked for Target about a year ago. I was there for about 6 months. I ended up leaving without notice, so I assume I was marked non-rehireable. But it goes a bit deeper than that...

The reason I gave no notice was because I was depressed and suicidal and was unexpectedly committed to a mental institution by one of my family members for a week. By the time I got out I didn't bother to call and tell them, since a) I figured my job was already lost anyway, b) I wasn't even sure if I was going to be alive in the next few days, much less worrying about my job at Target and c) it's so f**king embarrassing to admit you got committed to a mental institution.

The thing is, while there I had a stellar record. All the ETLs liked me and praised my work ethic countless times. I never called out or was late a SINGLE DAY in 6 months and even came in to many shifts I wasn't scheduled when they needed me. They relied on me so much to the point where I was their first choice if they only had a single person in our department (aside from the TL obviously.)

Anyway, it's been about a year since then. Luckily my mental health is much better, and I'll be back in my old home town soon and I'm wondering if I have any chance whatsoever of getting my old job back. I really enjoyed it, my coworkers were cool, and the pay was relatively decent for the area. I would think the extenuating circumstances and the fact that I was a stellar employee would help my case, but for all I know there's no exceptions under any circumstances and I shouldn't bother wasting my time and bearing my soul by telling the truth (which will still be very embarrassing!) all for nothing. I read some threads here that said there's a time limit on nonrehireable, is that true? I've seen a lot of contradicting info on this. Thanks to anyone who can help!

I am glad that you are doing so much better. There have been lots of changes at Target in the last year, so you may want to read about them before you go back to talk to them. In the end, it is going to be on a store by store basis. Your best bet is to ask for a sitdown with your former ETL, STL, or ETLHR if any of them are still there. I'm sure it will be difficult, but just be straight with them. I cannot speak for your former store, but I would be inclined to take you back under these circumstances.

The best thing you can do is call the store and explain to HR what you explained here. It's up to them if they want to hire you again. Non-rehireable is always negotiable.

I am glad that you are doing so much better. There have been lots of changes at Target in the last year, so you may want to read about them before you go back to talk to them. In the end, it is going to be on a store by store basis. Your best bet is to ask for a sitdown with your former ETL, STL, or ETLHR if any of them are still there. I'm sure it will be difficult, but just be straight with them. I cannot speak for your former store, but I would be inclined to take you back under these circumstances.

Thanks! And luckily my ETL, the ETL-HR, and the STL were the three who liked me the best, haha. I'd really hope they would be willing to give me another chance. When I got out of the hospital I looked at my voicemails and my ETL left several saying they were worried and talking about how out of character it was for me to simply vanish. I felt bad but wasn't in any position mentally to speak to anyone about it, and was also very ashamed.

I'm just curious, what kind of changes have happened in the past year?

The best thing you can do is call the store and explain to HR what you explained here. It's up to them if they want to hire you again. Non-rehireable is always negotiable.

That's good to know, thanks. Do you think I should apply regularly, then call HR? Or call HR first? Or try to get in contact with my old ETL/STL first (assuming they're still there)?

I would contact the store first. It's possible that an HRTM would see your nonrehireable status and just send a rejection email out of hand.

As to the changes, read the end to end thread. If you were Softlines, you might want to check out that one too.

I read some threads here that said there's a time limit on nonrehireable, is that true? I've seen a lot of contradicting info on this.

No time limit, it comes down to discretion. Due to changes it depends on who is still at your store.

It is possible to get hired as non rehireables but it will require complete honesty on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back