Archived Not being able to work at two licensed Starbucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came into my store today to go shopping on my day off. Afterwards I went to Starbucks to see my coworkers. My HR guy came up and told me in front of her “Oh since you’re here I just wanted to tell you that I’ve been talking to my boss and we’re not sure that you’ll be able to work at this Starbucks and another licensed Starbucks location because it can be a conflict of interest” we might either have to move you to another department or you won’t be able to work here anymore”. Does anyone know if there’s any truth to this? I already texted my district Starbucks manager to see what he has to say about it.

I got two jobs since the hours have been really bad. I love what I do so I applied for another Staebucks in a grocery store. My Starbucks district manager is aware of it because he saw me and he didn’t say I couldn’t. Maybe my HR is just trying to find a reason to get rid of me? It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve been doing both jobs and all of the sudden he’s trying to tell me something? And not even in a office while I’m on the clock?

If it’s two different Corporations, then why would it matter? Many team members at my store work another job because they can’t get enough hours through Target. How could it be a conflict of interest when you have Target and they have a set of rules and you have another grocery store and they have another set of rules? Target isnt even technically classified as a grocery store, it’s a retail establishment, that just so happens to sell groceries but Even Macy’s and JCPenney’s sell some sort of specialty chocolates..food items...are they grocery stores too? And can HR approach you on your day off and want to talk to you about this? Just because you came in to go shopping? I find that unethical. And was this in front of other TM’s. If so...then that’s not right either.

I’m not sure about policy but during my softlines days that issue did come up when I went to work at another small clothing retailer. My response to both managers was, “If we have it here I am going to offer it. If we don’t I am kindly going to suggest similar items or somewhere they can find it and not have these poor customer running around. It makes someone seem informed and better than offering nothing.”

Staebucks in a grocery store.

There’s your problem. You’d probably be ok if you worked at a stand alone Starbucks, but you’re working for a competitor where Starbucks is licensed for another company. You can’t work for competing companies.

If you can prove your SBux in the grocery store is a corporate leased SBux then you should be OK, but if it’s like Target where you’re an employee to the grocery store then it’s a no-no.

They’ll probably ask you to prove if you’re employed by the grocery store or by Starbucks by providing a Starbucks pay stub.

That seems really ticky-tacky. For the other clothing retailer, yeah I can see how there might be risks of a TM "cross-selling" or stuff like that, but are you going to tell customers that come in to the Target Sbux that they have better lattes at the grocery store one? That's kind of ridiculous.

There’s your problem. You’d probably be ok if you worked at a stand alone Starbucks, but you’re working for a competitor where Starbucks is licensed for another company. You can’t work for competing companies.

If you can prove your SBux in the grocery store is a corporate leased SBux then you should be OK, but if it’s like Target where you’re an employee to the grocery store then it’s a no-no.

They’ll probably ask you to prove if you’re employed by the grocery store or by Starbucks by providing a Starbucks pay stub.
Lol what? I work for Target and a grocery store. I've done it for years and they both know about it.

If the grocery part of the equation was the problem then they wouldn't suggest that working in another department at Target would fix the problem unless the other department was softlines or electronics.

Target is still Retail (despite having groceries) the other is classified as Grocery store. Two different entities when it comes to the incorporation of either corporation.
Target cannot dictate who has a second job or not, grocery or retail, both are different. The Starbucks is mearly just another department within both establishments.

Pretty sure conflict of interest rules, with regards to working at competitors, were relaxed several months ago.

But how would they be competitors? Target is a retail store. The other is a grocery store. It’s simply just a department in the store.

Smoke blowing is all it is walmart is a competitor you technically are working for the same company with red tape dont let the idiots bully you quite frankly working for an out of store shop is better for your future than the in store bucks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back