Archived Now don't you all apply at once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious based on that pic... it has non-IGS GSA/TL job categories. Is there a different job code for IGS TMs?

Damn! And here I quit drinking back in October!

Freak+Out+Gif.gif

I'm hoping our next remodel includes a liquor entrance. We sell enough to justify it.

I did that job for two years (not at Spot, though). Yea, the free samples from vendors were nice, but it's a LOT of work. I liked it up until the store hemhoraged employees and fell apart.

My state voted majority yes to loosen its liquor laws considerably on Election 2016 (allowing all retailers with alcohol licenses to sell liquor, instead of liquor stores only) and takes effect later this year if it doesn't get overturned by an ongoing lawsuit. So the earliest my store would get this is in 2019 sometime.

There's like 500 liquor stores in the vicinity already so it'll be interesting to see how they respond if Walmart, Target and the local groceries start selling hooch.

I don't know about training, but my MIL works at a (non-Target) liquor store and, yes, tastings and such with vendors is part of the job.

lol, there's a guy at the store I usually go to who always looks like he "samples" a few liters a day...

Is it worth the title to deal with liquor merchandisers all the time?
I never had an issue with merchandisers. It was the Corporate office's lack of understanding for the market or willingness to allow us to do the jobs they paid us for that I hated dealing with. They gave us direct store order capability for beer and a budget, then acted like right twunts when we actually put some thought into what we ordered. We were a more upscale, lower volume type of store, and couldn't compete price wise with Safeway across the street.

So we didn't stock stuff like Dos Equis, Corona, Guinness, or such big names. We stocked rarer stuff that fit our whole "we're totally an import store, honest" business model instead. In essense, we paid attention to what kind of clientel we wanted, and didn't fight a battle with Safeway we couldn't win.

Corporate routinely flipped a bitch when they couldn't find a cheap, generic lager that we charged $2 more for than the store across the street. So Corporate got their way, sales tanked, and then we got screamed at all the time because we "couldn't drive sales". A) fuck you, B) if we weren't supposed to make judgement calls, why did you give us the power to choose and order merchandise, C) how dare we actually pay attention to our business model and local conditions and order product accordingly.

That company isn't going to survive.

Last edited:
Just curious based on that pic... it has non-IGS GSA/TL job categories. Is there a different job code for IGS TMs?
IGS stores don't even get a "Service Desk" work center, so you have to ensure you have a trained TM available. It's a pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back