Archived Of marshmallows, allergies, and 3D batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this lady comes up to me while I'm doing my daily scan.

Guest - "Hi, can you tell me where the hot cocoa packets are?"
Me - "Sure, they're right over here."
Guest - *stares intently at the various choices* "Do you have any without marshmallows?"
Me - "Yeah we have a couple...here and here."
Guest - "It's for my daughter...she can't have cheese..."

At this point I'm having trouble trying to process this, but I keep a neutral expression.

Me - "Uh...ok but the chocolate is dairy."
Guest - "Oh that's fine, she just can't have the marshmallows."

Me in my head - "HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE MARSHMALLOWS AREN'T CHEESE YOU DICKWEASEL"

Me out loud "Ok well you'll find them right here"

I had to walk away. Just...ugh.
---------------------------------------------------
A couple months later, I'm stocking toys, right near the electronics boat. This is during the holidays, and a pair of ladies comes up to me with a wreath that has lights in it that takes batteries.

Guest - "Hi...do you guys carry 3D batteries?"
Me - "Um...wat"
Guest - "This thing takes 3D batteries but I didn't see them over there...."
Me - "I have never heard of 3D batteries..." *looking at the electronics guy* "Have you?"
Electronics Guy - "No...doesn't sound familiar." *looking at me with an are you fucking kidding me expression*
Me - "Do you mean...three of the D size batteries?"
Guest - "Umm...no I don't think so..."
Guests's Mom - "Wait I think it takes those square ones!"
Me - "Oh the 9 volt batteries? We have those."
Guest's Mom "No I don't think that's it."
Guest - "We have to go home and check."

*facepalm*

FWIW, chocolate isn't dairy. Most chocolate has dairy in it but not all does. Also the daughter could have been vegan which is what well meaning mom meant, which restricts both cheese (because it's from an animal) and marshmallows (which are typically made from gelatin, which is made from crushed animal bones).

After a while you learn to decipher customer speak.

Animal products in marshmallows my mind just boggled :eek: Explains the shelf life maybe?

FWIW, chocolate isn't dairy. Most chocolate has dairy in it but not all does. Also the daughter could have been vegan which is what well meaning mom meant, which restricts both cheese (because it's from an animal) and marshmallows (which are typically made from gelatin, which is made from crushed animal bones).

After a while you learn to decipher customer speak.

There's no way the guest was a vegan, it would have been the first thing out of their mouth

There's no way the guest was a vegan, it would have been the first thing out of their mouth
Unless she's like my mom abd never reneged the word but can regurgitate a portion of the definition.

So she couldn't tell you the person was vegan but she'd remember no eggs or milk plus no meat...

This mother-daughter duo comes in about once a week in their motorized carts. They are particularly loud and obnoxious, proclaiming what they want to buy, how to use it, and complaining about what we don't have. I try really hard to avoid them because I just can't deal. Today they got me! Asking which mascara doesn't contain bat guano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back