Archived On the Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm about to turn in my two week/voluntary resignation notice, but last stub shows I have 10 vacation hours and 40 sick hours. How are those consumed? It was never explained since I haven't called out since starting, but will I be paid for regular hours if I call out, say, this week?

As for the vacation hours, should I use those as paid time off needing TL/ETL approval?

Vacation or sick leave might not be paid out to you depending on your state.
From the handbook.
What about termination, what happens then?

Accrued but unused vacation time. If your employment is terminated for any reason, all unused vacation accrued after January 1, 2016, will be forfeited unless you work in California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, or Rhode Island, or employment ends due to retirement or death. If you have any unused vacation prior to January 1, 2016, that vacation will be paid to you upon termination—regardless of the state in which you worked or the reason for which your employment ended. Any payment of accrued and unused vacation required by law will be paid in a lump sum.

Accrued but unused personal holiday time. Personal holiday hours earned but unused will not be paid to you upon termination, unless you work in California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, or Rhode Island. Any payment of accrued but unused personal holidays required by law will be paid in a lump sum.

Last edited:
Going through the handbook I was given, there's no mention of vacation hours or sick leave at all, and it was never brought up at orientation, thanks for the info.

I am in California, so I think the vacation hours are set, but my own research seems to show that sick hours won't be paid out.
There is no requirement under California law that an employer pay accrued sick leave upon termination. An employer must pay a discharged employee at the place of discharge. (Labor Code § 208)

Does that mean I just randomly call out during my final two weeks? Won't that also be transparent once I turn in my two weeks that I'm just using the hours up since I haven't ever called out?

Last edited:
Does that mean I just randomly call out during my final two weeks? Won't that also be transparent once I turn in my two weeks that I'm just using the hours up since I haven't ever called out?

Likely. You can use self service to try to use sick pay for previous weeks where you were under average hours.

Likely. You can use self service to try to use sick pay for previous weeks where you were under average hours.
Sick pay isn't available in self-service. We have to fill out a paper form for HR to input. (and at my store they are strict about it only covering absences)

That said, the point stands with regards to unused vacation/personal holiday. You can go back up to 6 weeks and use as much as possible.

Sick pay isn't available in self-service. We have to fill out a paper form for HR to input. (and at my store they are strict about it only covering absences)

That said, the point stands with regards to unused vacation/personal holiday. You can go back up to 6 weeks and use as much as possible.

Good info, you can go back more than 6 weeks. We had a TM quit with lots of vacation and we went back like 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back