One Hour Of Overtime, Am I In Trouble?

Hey all, so my schedule was recently swapped from a 3am-11:30am to a 2am-10:30am and today was the first of the new shift. Problem is, in my genius brain I'm still thinking I clock out at 11:30 (or a few minutes before to avoid overtime) and now I'm really concerned as I worked over 8 hours today, just shy of 9. I know my STL doesn't like overtime at all, and a few weeks ago I had gotten a few minutes of overtime for clocking out of lunch too early (unbeknownst to me). So I'm sure they're already not happy about that. I had also called out on the Sunday of Black Friday weekend after that, with no one able to take on my shift. My TL had spoken to me about that, letting me know that it wasn't a good thing, and to try and avoid that as best I can in the future. Evidently this was a "conversation" or more directly a warning, and I hadn't known. I assumed it was my TL just giving me friendly advice and watching out for me. That TL is also the one who let me know I hit overtime the week prior and to watch out for that too. So was that little sentence also a "conversation"? If so does that mean I've accrued two warnings? And if that's the case, does that mean that this soon to be discussion with my STL will count as a third warning? Is there a three strikes and you're out type of policy? Or is this going to be my true first warning? And what kind of consequences can I expect from this? I'm beyond freaking out, I know I screwed up big, I wasn't paying attention and got so wrapped up in what I was doing that I lost track of time and I don't want to loose this job because of it.

Oh, and I also learned discussing work related things while off the clock in punishable by termination, and I don't personally agree because who else am I gonna talk to about this and these kinds of questions, and how else will I let my STL know that I know I messed up and explain myself before the actual on the clock sit down? Like, I don't want this to fester without being able to talk about it. So now I need to wait till I go back to work a day from now to be able to have the talk, and that sucks. I want to be able to do it now and clear the air, and make sure I know whether or not I'm safe.

Sorry for the large rantiness of this, I'm just on a massive train wreck right now

Do you think I'll still get in trouble for almost working 9 hours?
No. Also those “conversations” do count if they were documented. You need many conversations to get a corrective action. 3 corrective actions and you’re fired. It’s extremely hard to get fired for performance at target. Don’t worry you’re fine. Just talk to your TL about leave 30 minute early 2 days this week.

Thanks everyone, this really helped to calm me down and clairfy some stuff

Any time an asshole TL tries this "conversation" nonsense with you they're trying to fuck you over, and don't forget it. Some are too stupid to even realize what they are doing and pull this power trip garbage. Some, maybe most leads are decent people but you WILL run into a prick....male/female/young/old/experienced/inexperienced. Likely if they have a shitty life, baggage, nonsense etc they will pull the old Schadenfreude stunt. Tough to dance around this one, cover your ass with your ETL if possible. Trying to reason with someone like that is close to impossible as they are saturated with stupid and remember one thing: you can't fix stupid.

Everyone else already said it - this isn’t the huge deal that you’re thinking it is. Take a breath and relax, you’re going to be just fine. 😊

I would suggest that at the beginning of your next shift talk to your TL or ETL and own up to it. It can be a simple “hey I messed up my end time on Sunday and clocked out at 11:30 instead of 10:30, when do you want me to cut that hour this week?” If you don’t have 40 hours scheduled this week don’t be too surprised if they say don’t worry about it. It’s the week before Christmas and I’m sure they’re happy with having TMs show up 🙃

It's not overtime if you don't go over 40 hours worked this week. Overtime is counted as anything over 40 in a week, it is not calculated daily. Just shave the time from the rest of your shifts this week if you are scheduled at 40 hours for the week.
ASANTS. Some states mandate overtime for any time worked over 8 hours.

Any time an asshole TL tries this "conversation" nonsense with you they're trying to fuck you over, and don't forget it. Some are too stupid to even realize what they are doing and pull this power trip garbage. Some, maybe most leads are decent people but you WILL run into a prick....male/female/young/old/experienced/inexperienced. Likely if they have a shitty life, baggage, nonsense etc they will pull the old Schadenfreude stunt. Tough to dance around this one, cover your ass with your ETL if possible. Trying to reason with someone like that is close to impossible as they are saturated with stupid and remember one thing: you can't fix stupid.
That seems like an extreme overreaction.

you need help

Also, there's a good chance that there were a couple of callouts that day so payroll wise the store could afford that extra hour of yours.

and a few weeks ago I had gotten a few minutes of overtime for clocking out of lunch too early (unbeknownst to me).

Huh? Our timeclocks won't even accept an in-punch until 30 full minutes after you clock out for lunch.

Back