Archived Online Coupon Scammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So - let's say that a guest tries to use a paper coupon for $0.10 off one item, and it doesn't work. So long as the coupon is not expired and the guest actually bought the item that the coupon was eligible for, the amount is so miniscule that I'd just take it off manually, and then I'd take the coupon and put it in the "redeemed coupon" drawer. No problem. But I've been curious about these online coupons. Let's say that a guest has a coupon in their email, or they texted a number to get a coupon on their phone. If I scan their coupon from their phone, there is no "redeemed coupon" drawer for their phone lol. So what people do is they use that coupon at one store, and then keep the barcode, and try to use it at another store (or on another purchase) and then say "I've never used it before, it should be working" to try and get one over on us. Do you guys get the GSTL over EVERY TIME that happens, or just tell the guest they can't do it, or just send them to the service desk? The reason I ask is that I don't want to get on the GSTL's bad side by always calling them over but I don't know what else to do if the coupon is for like $25 and I can't take it off manually due to the high amount

You can have them open their Target app in front of you to make sure it isn't a screenshot. If it still doesn't work there should be ads on the check checklane that you can scan.

I suspect OP is talking about some other form of online coupon, not Cartwheel. And per policy, "Manufacturer coupons are not accepted on mobile phones, with the exception of Cartwheel manufacturer coupons."

That said, I would refuse the coupon in the moment as being unredeemable, and explain to the guest that the system does not recognize it. It can't be scanned properly by POS and the policy as published at t.com specificially prohibits "coupons that require cashier intervention" among other restrictions. Per that policy, Target has the right to refuse any coupon for any reason. Then partner with GSTL regarding how to handle it in the future.

Coupons - http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Coupons&parentcat=Promotions+%26+Coupons

Edit to add: If a guest gives me a coupon for $25, there's absolutely no way in hell I would accept it, even as a paper coupon, without GSTL involvement.

Wow! I had no idea that the wording about coupons had changed on the web site. Was there any communication about us not accepting coupons that require cashier intervention? That's a really big change! I've been noticing a new error message that says we can't accept a coupon because it doesn't meet our coupon policy.

Edit to add: If a guest gives me a coupon for $25, there's absolutely no way in hell I would accept it, even as a paper coupon, without GSTL involvement.
The system most likely won’t let a TM accept a coupon of this amount anyway - I’ve had legitimate coupons for this high before (there’s a $25 off honest baby products one that’s a real coupon) and it prompts you to call for a GSTL anyway since the coupon amount is so high

Anyway, just don’t accept mobile coupons that aren’t in cartwheel or the target ones which are also the weekly ad. Don’t accept screenshots of cartwheel either. One exception I can think of is the redcard anniversary coupon which is mailed to the guest but that’s pretty much it

Article Detail Page - http://help.target.com/help/TargetGuestHelpArticleDetail?articleId=ka41Y000000EH23QAG&articleTitle=What+is+the+REDcard+holder+anniversary+offer%3F

I suspect OP is talking about some other form of online coupon, not Cartwheel. And per policy, "Manufacturer coupons are not accepted on mobile phones, with the exception of Cartwheel manufacturer coupons."

That said, I would refuse the coupon in the moment as being unredeemable, and explain to the guest that the system does not recognize it. It can't be scanned properly by POS and the policy as published at t.com specificially prohibits "coupons that require cashier intervention" among other restrictions. Per that policy, Target has the right to refuse any coupon for any reason. Then partner with GSTL regarding how to handle it in the future.

Coupons - http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Coupons&parentcat=Promotions+%26+Coupons

Thanks for the reply! Basically what I was getting at is this: there are some signs in the store (I've seen them, they're legit) that say something along the lines of "Text the word XXXX to XXXXX for a $25 coupon on baby items!" So they'll text the number and have the coupon in their text messages. The problem is... if it declines that coupon (odds are the guest is scamming and has used it before) that creates problems.

Thanks for the reply! Basically what I was getting at is this: there are some signs in the store (I've seen them, they're legit) that say something along the lines of "Text the word XXXX to XXXXX for a $25 coupon on baby items!" So they'll text the number and have the coupon in their text messages. The problem is... if it declines that coupon (odds are the guest is scamming and has used it before) that creates problems.
That coupon is also in the Target app, so have them get to the coupon through the app and scan it there.

Okay, yes. These are the same coupons that are in the paper ad. And yes, if you text the code to 827-437 (note, this is TARGET spelled out on a phone keypad), you get a link to a unique barcode that is single use and tied to your phone number. You can't even get a new barcode by sending a new message, you'll get a new reply with a link but the barcode will be rejected by POS because the guest has already used that coupon with that phone number.

In this specific case, use the hard copy in the sale ad that you should have at your register, or direct them to the coupons page in Wallet on the Target App.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back