"Online item"

DBZ

So at the Service desk when things come back from online, an online item sticker prints out. At my store we defect all these things out even if there is nothing wrong with the item. Do you defect these things out? Do DBOs like or dislike these items coming to their dept to sit on a clearance shelf?

Some TL's want them defected, others don't care. Regardless, they are put into reshop and the decision is that of the dbo and/or tl. I typically will give them a week to see if they can get another markdown and sell and if not I will defect them.

I scan the item under myWork, select Defect, and when it asks if I want to "remove from store inventory" or "defective" I choose remove from inventory and choose "not on file" for the reason for all online only items then Salvage/CRC the item.

Online only items just end up being flexed, they very rarely sell, and will still be in the store months later. They arent eligible for Ship/OPU so will just sit there.

Hmmm, makes me wonder about the “Back to College“ items from the amplified gifting cart that we still have hanging around, remember the multi-color fans/mugs/laundry bags ? Discontinued, no location, never went clearance that I saw, not salvage.
What did everyone DO with all that ???
We have moved it SO MANY times ! Is NOT selling AT ALL and taking up so much valuable space !

would it be OK to ‘damage-out’ to get rid of it - even though there is nothing wrong with it ??

We always sell them if it’s an item someone would buy. If it’s unopened and is in a box it would sell in then you are supposed to sell it. The sticker goes in a visible spot and you cover the other barcode with just a blank defect label. The item then just goes on the clearance area for the department it would be in. That’s how your supposed to do it according to some guide sheet at the service desk.

Could be a target plus item. They are returned back.
Online Items are different them Target+. Target+ items are not on file and will give no useful info (like a price) when scanned on anything. Online Items are things sold on target's site, but not in stores or not in our store. Online items don't scan at the register as is, but they can be given a rewrap/discount yellow sticker. I defect big stuff, but put the clearance stickers on small stuff, because I have always loved walking around target looking for a good deal. I know others do too. I should ask the GM TLs their opinion.

We always sell them if it’s an item someone would buy. If it’s unopened and is in a box it would sell in then you are supposed to sell it. The sticker goes in a visible spot and you cover the other barcode with just a blank defect label. The item then just goes on the clearance area for the department it would be in. That’s how your supposed to do it according to some guide sheet at the service desk.
Hmmm, so :
Step 1. SIM (force a single item markdown not on clearance workload) and put on clearance endcap

then what .... if not sold after 4 months ?

Hmmm, makes me wonder about the “Back to College“ items from the amplified gifting cart that we still have hanging around, remember the multi-color fans/mugs/laundry bags ? Discontinued, no location, never went clearance that I saw, not salvage.
What did everyone DO with all that ???
We have moved it SO MANY times ! Is NOT selling AT ALL and taking up so much valuable space !

would it be OK to ‘damage-out’ to get rid of it - even though there is nothing wrong with it ??

We defected all of that out months ago. Basically if it is in our way and discontinued, we defect it. Probably not best practice, but it makes working easier.

Goes back to the floor . If your SD is like mine people would get fired for defecting because you are causing a loss in margin. I’ve had patio furniture during bts being returned and a place was made for it.

So at the Service desk when things come back from online, an online item sticker prints out. At my store we defect all these things out even if there is nothing wrong with the item. Do you defect these things out? Do DBOs like or dislike these items coming to their dept to sit on a clearance shelf?
We defect it usually. How can I find a dpci if there's only a tcin available?

Goes back to the floor . If your SD is like mine people would get fired for defecting because you are causing a loss in margin. I’ve had patio furniture during bts being returned and a place was made for it.
Did it sell or did you salvage it at the end of the season?

Salvage it all as it comes in. I don't think anything prints out at my store when they're returned. They end up in my reshop carts and all of it goes to salvage (per my ETL).

ETA, this is for online stuff that doesn't have a floor location. Ain't nobody got room for that.

Last edited:
I believe the official rule for online items is that you do an additional markdown every time you would normally cycle through that department's clearance (per the old schedule, so like, stationery on Wednesday, toys/sport/housewares on Thursday, domestics/cosmetics/hipa on friday). I tend to immediately drop all curtains, furniture and rugs to 50 to 70 percent off though, because they dont ever look good on the clearance endcaps, but guests love finding the deal.

If it's some kind of screwball item or there is obviously no space, I salvage it. If it's something reasonable it goes in reshop. If it's questionable, I ask somebody on the floor (preferably a TL). That's what the ETLs want done and it makes sense to me. Never have read the rules on this though.

Back