ONLY TL’S

I’ve been a TL going on 2 years before that I was a team member for 3 years.
I use to love my job but now not so much Because I’m not really doing TL stuff I’m not observing my team I’m not coaching my team hell I don’t have time to take a piss… I’m always jumping into the e-pics, always jumping into drive ups, going to get carts, cleaning carts & doing tons of other shit that’s not in my job description don’t get me wrong I don’t mind helping out but this seems to be a constant issue. I try to be the voice of my team members in our meetings and see how they are burned out and understaffed and overworked, but it doesn’t change anything. Everybody going on LOA, on demand, staffing shortages, people calling out but mainly not giving us enough hours to cover shifts. I’m also pretty sure I’m the TL with the lowest Hourly pay(not because I got shitty reviews either) I’m frustrated! & burnt out! I need more money per hr to make me stay. Don’t know if I can go thru being an “essential worker” again this year.
DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL LIKE THIS?

Last edited:
This is exactly (and not just relevant to Spot) why I am perfectly happy in Receiving and will never take another leadership position.... At least you learned quickly.

I use to love my job but now not so much Because I’m not really doing TL stuff I’m not observing my team I’m not coaching my team hell I don’t have time to take a piss… I’m always jumping into the e-pics, always jumping into drive ups, going to get carts, cleaning carts & doing tons of other shit that’s not in my job description don’t get me wrong I don’t mind helping out but this seems to be a constant issue. I try to be the voice of my team members in our meetings and see how they are burned out and understaffed and overworked, but it doesn’t change anything. Everybody going on LOA, on demand, staffing shortages, people calling out but mainly not giving us enough hours to cover shifts. I’m also pretty sure I’m the TL with the lowest Hourly pay(not because I got shitty reviews either) I’m frustrated! & burnt out! I need more money per hr to make me stay. Don’t know if I can go thru being an “essential worker” again this year.
You are NOT alone. I have voiced my frustration that :

1. There is NOT enough tm coverage -
-for cashiers without constant back-up
-for the GM team to complete their areas : zone/push/backstock/price change/SPL/help guests/backup cashier
-to finish transitions correctly with all pull and push done, ISM complete and data accuracy entered
-to unload the trucks timely
-for guest service to help guests and run drive ups within 2 min.
-for fulfillment to complete orders while maintaining a green INF

2. That TL do not have time to :
-check in with tm’s the required 3/4 times per day
-read/answer and send the update emails they want
-have and document conversations
-fix backroom errors and keep up with BRLA score boards in the backroom
-validate that all work is completed
-assist guests and vendors
-plan, train, solve problems and answer questions
-complete audit/check dates/PCV
-wait at front door to let tm’s in before store open

However, whenever I voice my “shortage” concerns I am told to only plan, delegate, monitor and validate - I am TOLD to STOP tasking !
I cannot see success by adding to my tm’s burden, I feel like with the skeleton payroll I NEED to help pull/push/backstock/set/complete price change !

I’m sorry I have NO solutions for you - I am in the SAME situation. Burnt out with nowhere to turn and no relief in sight.

^^ And this is why I see no value in jumping up to TL for $19/hour. Not worth the added stress and the low pay. Managers really should be making significantly more. I have been asked repeatedly to become a SE-TL. Nope.
Target wants to pay the BARE MINIMUM to get someone to be a TL regardless of any retail experience.

They just look at "hey we are paying you more than a TM so it's a great offer"!

This is why I have always thought you need switch companies to ever get paid more in any industry.

As a TL I am always able to speak to my business by:
*Looking at the schedule when posted and identifying gaps.
* Setting realistic expectations based on the schedule with my ETL/SD and then my team.
*Always having a contingency plan.

Failure is not inevitable as long as there is forward momentum.

OP, do you have forward momentum?

^^ And this is why I see no value in jumping up to TL for $19/hour. Not worth the added stress and the low pay. Managers really should be making significantly more. I have been asked repeatedly to become a SE-TL. Nope.
Did your tl rate not go up, a few months ago our store jumped up to $21.50.

I feel you on all of this. I've only been doing this job 10 months and I'm 2 years at Target, so less time than you. I'll take it item by item, where I feel I have something worth saying:

Not observing/coaching my team: This is a constant struggle when it comes to cashiers. I can easily observe my GS and DU and CA, but my cashiers know when I'm there and they behave themselves (asking about red card, etc). I can't control what they do when I walk away.

Don't have time to take a piss: I have learned to work slightly dehydrated so that I don't have to piss as much.

Always jumping into e-picks: It took weeks of vigilance, but my DU team is now trained to check this and I rarely have an issue. Except when a crop of noobs comes in. Invest in them so they complete this and Out of Hold. It will save you time and heartburn!!!

Jumping into DU: This is situational and sometimes necessary. I don't know your volume but I've gone from low volume to mid-high and this really depends on your ETL writing a good schedule. This is out of your hands but not out of your influence. Determine how many DU people you need at what times (use MPM to find your busy DU hours). Communicate with your ETL on this. When it clicks for them as they are writing the schedule, your front will run much more smoothly. Patience and persistence lol.

Carts, getting & cleaning: Try real hard not to do this. I occasionally have to help with gaps in coverage and before the CA comes in. Call for help from the floor if you're smoked. Your SD or an ETL will not let the carts run out, the spice must flow. Use their authority!

Staffing/On Demand/Call-offs: That's Target! God effing forbid we ever overstaff. The second I have one extra body up front, they are swept away to do some other task. It prevents me FROM GETTING ANYTHING DONE. Not that I'm bitter. Or half-crazy from it. I've learned to accept that I will not get anything significant done unless I'm operating at Superman levels of efficiency that day. Consider Adderall?

Pay: We are paid the right amount that you would pay managers if you wanted half-effective, unambitious zombies. It's our choice to continue working there. We're either suckers or masochists. Somehow, I still love my job 51% of the time. Although to be fair to the 49%, emotional Democracy sucks.

I think a good piece of advice is to let go of the need to be and do everything. You're a TL because you work really hard and are really good at tasks (and care a lot about your team!), from the sound of your complaint. Improve your delegation and planning skills.

I don't mean to come off like I have answers that will work, I'm just passionate about the job and always learning and this stuff works for me. Every day is really hard and some of them are rewarding. Good luck.

I try to be the voice of my team members in our meetings and see how they are burned out and understaffed and overworked, but it doesn’t change anything.
Please don't take this the wrong way, because it isn't a knock on you. You are not the kind of "leader" Target is looking for.

Target calls you a team leader, but what they want is a process manager. Leaders lead people but to Target, team members are not people, they are resources.

Based on your post, your leadership mentality does not match Target's. As such I doubt you will find the situation, or your frustration with it, improving any time soon. More likely you continue until burning out. I would start looking for a position that aligns better with your vision of leadership, because Target ain't it.

The easiest way to deal with all of the work that Target demands is just deal with it at work and don't take it home with you. I can just flip a switch as soon as I punch out and just instantly forget and stop caring about what happened to me at work. I do occasionally get frustrated and that's why I come to this board and vent and share with others who have similar experiences.

I always say that my ETL and SD are my boss, if they ask me to do something out of my core roles or something that is going to inhibit me from completing my required work for that day or week then that's on them. I am paid to do what I'm told and I just do the best I can during every shift. I have never been coached or talked to about my performance. The key is to get Infront of it and talk to your managers about your concerns. That way if you don't complete your workload, you basically told them so. If I'm asked to help push in another area or help with SFS, I always say, " I can do that but I may not complete this...". And then it's on them to decide.

Back