Archived Open ended questions aka how DO mall people do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooooo we got new directions (not new we were told about this last summer our etls were to lazy to implement them) that face workcenters are to appolroach guests with open ended questions. The question I challenge you to answer: what would you ask? The example we were given was Hi, welcome to our store what brings you in today? Followed up with informing them of sales and letting them know we are the expert in the department, our name, and where will be if they need us.

The expectation is to spend 15 seconds with each guests while keeping our dedicated zone perfect, reshop done, and all left over truck pushed.

So. . . .I want to cha ge careers and become a penguin.

Seriously though can we get some more natural ideas for open ended questions?

What work center?

Electronics is easy. Be their friend. Learn about them.

"What brings you in today?" is a great start. What are they looking at? TV's? Ask where it will be. Who is it for. Were there any features they wanted to know more about, or were particularly looking for? Know a bit about the product. Every can SEE that a Samsung is better looking than an Element, but how can you tell what's better between a Samsung and a Vizio?

The idea is to be approachable, and to ask questions that cannot easily be answered by a "Yes" or "No".

Knowing what is on Sale and in cartwheel will help with open ended questions...

"Did you know you can save 10% on cartwheel on those pans? "

No I didn't. Whats cartwheel?
I have it but I dont know how use the app
I didn't think to scan my cartwheel.

By showing the guest how to use the app will save the sale and opens the floor to more conversation.

Instead of "Is there anything I can help you find today?" use" What can I help you find today?" or some such. Anything that can't be answered with a yes or no. "Which cartwheel offer are you using/looking for today?" "What do you think about our cartwheel offers or sales this week?" "What can I do to help you today?" I am sure there are better ones but those are the top of my head type ones.

Thank you that all helps alot. They are changing so much in apparel its overwhelming. Now we are all only getting 4hr shifts and are expected to only be in one department. The zones have to be 100% by the end of our shift and our reshop done for our zone. This is from morning breakout all the way to our closer who leaves at close no more 30mins after. I dont understand how any of this will help in sales at all. Compliance yes but not sales.

With the raises they are giving speciality tms the expectation is you will ask people more than can I help you find something.
Do you know if it’s now common practice for FACE area team members to set goals now too? At my store they’re having those TM’s pick a category (Ie: Shoes, TVs, Eyeliner, etc) and pick a goal each day for how much they’ll sell. Or is that just my store?

Do you know if it’s now common practice for FACE area team members to set goals now too? At my store they’re having those TM’s pick a category (Ie: Shoes, TVs, Eyeliner, etc) and pick a goal each day for how much they’ll sell. Or is that just my store?
Gotta work for that extra dollar! Quick, have to think up some bullshit goal "I'm gonna sell 5,000 pillows today!" Hmmm... seems reasonable...

Soooooo we got new directions (not new we were told about this last summer our etls were to lazy to implement them) that face workcenters are to appolroach guests with open ended questions. The question I challenge you to answer: what would you ask? The example we were given was Hi, welcome to our store what brings you in today? Followed up with informing them of sales and letting them know we are the expert in the department, our name, and where will be if they need us.

The expectation is to spend 15 seconds with each guests while keeping our dedicated zone perfect, reshop done, and all left over truck pushed.

From the posts you've already received, you've got a good base of questions to work with in A&A. Definitely acknowledge all your Guests in your zone; ask them 'what they're looking for', 'what you can help them find', 'what the occasion is', etc..... But I think @isak922 said it best: Be their friend. Genuinely let them know you are here to help..... inform them of ad/sale related info, cartwheel deals. Share your favorite item (or best seller) of the Brand collection your Guest is looking at to "break the ice". Offer your assistance, or opinion as they go into the FR. Build their trust as the expert in the department. Again.... Be their friend.
We have a growing number of Guests who come in specifically for their favorite TM now that our service culture has elevated.

To me this is an extension of the Vibeing with guest. Which comes back to selling. If you seem more like a friend or fellow Target shopper, yes you work there but you also shop, then your advice about saving with the red card or with the app or with recommendations to buy this or that isn't because you have to ask or have some type of quota but because you are like them and have the same shopping needs that they have. If a guest doesn't see something on the shelf and you check and you see it as an online only item, and you tell them that the nice thing about ordering online either for pick up or home delivery and it isn't quite right how easy it is to return at the store rather than having to pack it up and mail it back like other online shopping etc. Your interaction can be totally driven by the mandates or requirements but it shouldn't seem that way to the guest. Guests want to know that when they come in for 2 things and leave with a cart full of things that you have done the same thing more than once. If you see something in their cart that you think is cute or interesting or something that you have bought or were thinking about buying let them know. If you are zoning market or HBA it can be a little harder but if you recognize a "regular" tell them that its good to see them or ask how they have been if it has been more than a few days. Honestly there are some regulars who shop more times a week than many part timers work but they enjoy the recognition. What brings you to Target today? Have you heard about the snow that they are predicting for later in the week, etc.

Great options thank you! Now the tough part how do you make it sound natural amd not the awkward my boss is making me do this

My Team was feeling awkward with this as well. So, I suggested they "practice" w/ me. I tried an outfit on... and asked them for their opinion(s), whether it was "fit" related or "style" related. I asked them to suggest additional items. They were very comfortable engaging w/ me....... they were honest and helpful. They asked questions to be able to "help" me better. They gave me great styling tips. They even checked Cartwheel for deals !
It was kind of a Leadership role-playing technique..... but in a real setting. Now, they use the same approach on their own Guests. They are so much more comfortable; and proud ! They like sharing their Guest Service stories w/ me. :)

What are you looking for today?
Are you finding...(said item based on the aisle they are in)
What can I help you find?
Also ask questions, make pithy comments on the products and interact.

I have a older gentleman who habitally comes and buys dry cat food. This image is similar to how he looks everytime I see him. (without the clock)
large_R2i-N1tOyPU.jpg

He always tells me a really bad joke too.

Like: What is Irish and stays out all night?
Patty O'furniture.

So just think on your feet. You can get most of them.

Gotta work for that extra dollar! Quick, have to think up some bullshit goal "I'm gonna sell 5,000 pillows today!" Hmmm... seems reasonable...
Do you have 5000 pillows?

And while you are being sarcastic, I have at least 12 guests who love to buy bulk in pets. Also I did have a guest who while we were stocking pillows wanted the box. I said sure let me empty it. He shook his head. 'No I want all the pillows in the box because its easier than fishing them out, can I have the box. So we sold him two whole boxes of those cheap $7 pillows. (it was for a shelter he was donating too)

Its not hard to set a personal goal, like I will convince one person to buy something attached to the product they came in for. Be it a tv, a bottle of water or a bag of milk bone. Even bras panties, dresses and toothpaste can work.

No its mine too. I convinced a lady who came to buy a $5 dog bag of dog food, to get a $12 grain fee bag and some new nutro wet by explaining the difference. Like said in the above post, hitting sales goals is easy because people think Pet stores near me are overpriced. So its when I can sell a chromecast with a $900 tv that the fun begins.

Just have a conversation with the guest. “Hi, can I help you find something?” “Is there something specific you’re looking for?” “Do you have any questions about x?”

You have a lot to do in all work centers but it’s still simple sales since 85% of guests don’t want/expect much interaction in the first place.

You know, I know that what they're asking of us isn't really all that much considering what our pay is these days.

But it's so incredibly difficult to give a shit about the place when they give me less than 15 hours a week after years of being 30+.

Just have a conversation with the guest. “Hi, can I help you find something?” “Is there something specific you’re looking for?” “Do you have any questions about x?”

You have a lot to do in all work centers but it’s still simple sales since 85% of guests don’t want/expect much interaction in the first place.
This. I was in electronics and there was someone just walking around DVD’s. Normally I won’t even bother asking them if they need help because they never do and they’re just looking while their wife is shopping or something but my ETL had just told me about the sales goal thingy so I was just like ‘What brings us in today? Are we looking for a certain DVD?’ and he was like ‘Thanks so much for asking! I’m actually looking for ____ but it’s a couple years old so I don’t think you have it.’. It turns out we didn’t have it, but he was super nice and thanked me again for asking him before he left. It really is super easy to just ask what brings the guest in today. Plus, you can avoid backing up the lanes at my store by just saying your with a guest, and if I’m always with a guest = no lanes??? ;)

You know, I know that what they're asking of us isn't really all that much considering what our pay is these days.

But it's so incredibly difficult to give a shit about the place when they give me less than 15 hours a week after years of being 30+.

All stores have been hard on hours well in to March. I can say it will be difficult to get much with that attitude too. Are you picking up open shifts? Have you applied anywhere else or used another job as leverage to get more?

Could I just say that when I'm shopping, I hate the "royal we" - "What brings us in today? What occasion are we shopping for today?" We are not shopping. I am shopping and you are working. I'll respond so much better to questions like, "What brings you in today? What occasion are you shopping for today?" Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back