Archived Open TL Position

Should I apply for a tl position at another store?

• Hell no

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Definitely

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Up to you

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, this is my first post on here so be gentle :)

Currently a cross-trained hardlines tm (trainer) and have been since April of last year. I know it sounds like I don’t have much experience but I’ve moved pretty quick since I started at target. I do 95% of all of the stores endcaps including the checklanes, I’m expected to lead the sales floor team (even beauty and electronics) and almost coach them (though not quite a coaching). My ETL calls it “holding them accountable”. I’m expected to keep an eye on TWT, help Plano with occasional 4am shifts, I talk to the majority of the vendors about any upcoming market endcaps since my market SrTL is kinda lazy, I basically run seasonal since the actual TL is always “busy” with electronics or on vacation. I’m trained in soft lines and cover operator whenever the opener calls out (at least twice a month), cover service desk and gsa breaks and lunches, I pull and stow in the backroom when my etl-salesfloor drops a crap ton of POGs at 6am (her record is 113) and I’ll even cover cart attendant for my store. Honeslty, I love my job but I’m tired of getting the run around when I ask if I’m ever going to move up. My ETL told me she wanted to by January when I was getting top in the district in terms of sales with amplified gifting (I did all of it by myself). When I heard nothing by February, i basically had to beg for a meeting with her and my STL and they basically told me “oh we definitely want to make you a TL, hopefully sooner rather than later. Just hold more TMs accountable and basically act like a TL so we can see how you’ll do” I know I’m not the only one who goes through this but I’m quickly getting tired of being the only person in the store to do as much as I do but not get the perks of being a TL.

My question is: would it be really bad if I applied for an open TL position at a different store? Does anyone think I’d even get it?

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:
I would consult your HR first. It may look like you are going over their heads and not going through the right channel. Your store will find out if you apply either way, so you better be sure you have the proper support.

I would consult your HR first. It may look like you are going over their heads and not going through the right channel. Your store will find out if you apply either way, so you better be sure you have the proper support.

My etl-hr is on maternity leave until April or may! I thought of that too but I don’t think I’ll be able to wait until April, the position will likely be gone. All I have is an hrtm and a hr business partner that comes in once a month

My etl-hr is on maternity leave until April or may! I thought of that too but I don’t think I’ll be able to wait until April, the position will likely be gone. All I have is an hrtm and a hr business partner that comes in once a month

Partner with whoever is covering HR and or an ETL/STL of some sort. It would look bad to apply without consulting them. It is also a lose/lose situation as another store won't hire you if you don't get the go ahead from your store. I would make you interest known to the other position at the other store and they will either promote you within your current store, or give the approval to promote to the other store. It may be difficult, as it sounds like you haven't been put on the bench for TL yet.

Partner with whoever is covering HR and or an ETL/STL of some sort. It would look bad to apply without consulting them. It is also a lose/lose situation as another store won't hire you if you don't get the go ahead from your store. I would make you interest known to the other position at the other store and they will either promote you within your current store, or give the approval to promote to the other store. It may be difficult, as it sounds like you haven't been put on the bench for TL yet.

Thank you so much. I was really unsure on what to do as I honestly think my STL and ETL don’t want to promote me because there’s no one to replace me. There are only two people in the store with availability to open on the sales floor.

Thank you so much. I was really unsure on what to do as I honestly think my STL and ETL don’t want to promote me because there’s no one to replace me. There are only two people in the store with availability to open on the sales floor.

ETLs use promoting team members on their review to justify their raises all the time. We should always be training replacements for our top performers.

I highly recommend going through your store. No store will hire you unless your stl and etl support your transfer.

It depends on tl head count & sales. Are you go to person, who gets done without direction? Or see an issue & solve it without asking(empty endcap).
Stand out above others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back