Open Video Game Exchange

Hello! Is the policy for open video games that the guest can exchange the game for the same title and the same platform? I had a guest upset that she couldn’t return the game and get her money back. Thanks!

Exchange, if defective, for same title on same console, is the official policy. Things like same title, different console are often allowed, but they're exceptions, not what the official policy says is allowed.

Returning opened games or movies is similar, sometimes it may be done, as a very rare exception, but as a general rule, no.

ie. Once or twice I have seen guests be allowed to return opened games their children received as gifts because they felt they were inappropriate for the age of their child. Even then we gave them a gift card, and not cash back, but we did allow them to do it, but even then it's a case by case basis.

ie. Once or twice I have seen guests be allowed to return opened games their children received as gifts because they felt they were inappropriate for the age of their child. Even then we gave them a gift card, and not cash back, but we did allow them to do it, but even then it's a case by case basis.
If the parents thought it age inappropriate then why was the game opened rather than returned without being played?

If the parents thought it age inappropriate then why was the game opened rather than returned without being played?

Watching their child play it is what alerted them to its age inappropriateness.

Certainly not our responsibility to let them return it at that point. Parents should research this before allowing their child to play the game, not saying otherwise. Just saying I have seen parents be allowed to return games for this reason.

The policy is same game on the same platform period. Also you are supposed to unwrap the game they are exchanging for so they then can't go return it as new.

It's for copyright reasons, and one of the reasons guests always get mad about policies is because someone at a different store made an exception or had their own way of doing things. Target should be more strict regarding policies like this

It's for copyright reasons

No it isn't. There are absolutely no copyright laws about anything of the sort. If there were places like Gamestop wouldn't be able to sell used games. It's nothing more than an agreement Target has with its vendors.

When they exchange, do you open the replacement to prevent them from returning the new now unopened game, music or movie?
No, I just explain that only an exchange will be offered if they return it, even unopened (even though, yes, they could easily scam around that)

Special needs child divorced parents. Mom bought a repeat game that dad had already bought. Proof of repeat. Receipt only one day old. Observed child was special needs. Got approval from leader. They bought a different game and paid difference didn't think it was an option to open the game so can't return it again.

Also on a different note...when selling certain games via digital cards when physical is out of stock. Make sure to re-iterate and inform that some game codes are printed on the actual receipt. Had some guests pay for a digital download card on sco and leave receipt behind...or lose or throw away receipt thinking there was a code to scratch on the card. The code is sometimes printed on the receipt. Urge them to take a picture.

Out of curiosity, did any of you have to deal with returns during the Fallout 76 debacle? It was just a cardboard disc with a code so I can't imagine it would be allowed, but the game was so abysmal at launch that I'm sure some people tried

When they exchange, do you open the replacement to prevent them from returning the new now unopened game, music or movie?
No, I just explain that only an exchange will be offered if they return it, even unopened (even though, yes, they could easily scam around that)
How would you enforce this? If the guest exchanged the open game for a new game and then came back and wanted to return the new game, they can’t?

I've heard of many stores indeed opening the game (removing the shrink-wrap) once the exchange is performed exactly to prevent that scenario.
Same thing with air mattresses, as the policy is similar in nature, to prevent "trial runs".

I've had Guests threaten just that... "Well... that's stupid, I'm just going to return the unopened one tomorrow!" First of all Karen, screw you. Second of all, where's my box cutter????

Open airbeds cannot be returned, but may be exchanged for a similar item.

The policy is same game on the same platform period. Also you are supposed to unwrap the game they are exchanging for so they then can't go return it as new..... It's for copyright reasons, and one of the reasons guests always get mad about policies is because someone at a different store made an exception or had their own way of doing things. Target should be more strict regarding policies like this
Technically speaking, many years ago the trade association for media companies (makers of physical media such as videos/DVDs, vinyl records, CDs, video games, and computer software programs) created a nationwide master policy that was binding on all retailers who wanted to conduct business with the media companies. This policy was imposed because the media companies were being robbed blind by people who would buy an expensive piece of software (i.e Microsoft Office), install it on their home computer and laptop and office computer, then return the software to the store for a refund while still using the software. Ditto for music LPs and CDs where people were copying onto CD-R, MP3 or even cassette tapes, then returning to the store for refund while retaining a copy of the music. So.... decades later, stores cannot sell physical media unless they promise not to accept returns of opened product unless it is defective and exchanged for an unopened copy of the exact same media product.

I've heard of many stores indeed opening the game (removing the shrink-wrap) once the exchange is performed exactly to prevent that scenario.
Same thing with air mattresses, as the policy is similar in nature, to prevent "trial runs".

I've had Guests threaten just that... "Well... that's stupid, I'm just going to return the unopened one tomorrow!" First of all Karen, screw you. Second of all, where's my box cutter????
I tried this tactic in the past. Didn't Work so I sold the game on ebay.

The reason why you can't return games/cds/movies once opened is because it's a sunk cost.

Target recoups zero dollars on returned media, they can't repackage or resell it.

I let customers return items on an infrequent basis depending on situation, I always weighed the cost of the customer's need vs. our loss. If it's some 20 year old who clearly thinks Target is a blockbuster and can't give a good reason, I'd tell them no.

I don't get the "Stick to the policy all day every day" mindset. Each situation is unique and that's why Target (or any company) employs service managers. To interpret the policy and make decisions that benefit the business. Telling some 35 year old mom that wants to return a game she thinks in inappropriate for her kid that she can't return it is kind of dumb. You're alienating a member of your key customer base over 50 bucks, an amount they're likely to spend many times over if you just keep them happy.

The reason why you can't return games/cds/movies once opened is because it's a sunk cost.

Target recoups zero dollars on returned media, they can't repackage or resell it.

I let customers return items on an infrequent basis depending on situation, I always weighed the cost of the customer's need vs. our loss. If it's some 20 year old who clearly thinks Target is a blockbuster and can't give a good reason, I'd tell them no.

I don't get the "Stick to the policy all day every day" mindset. Each situation is unique and that's why Target (or any company) employs service managers. To interpret the policy and make decisions that benefit the business. Telling some 35 year old mom that wants to return a game she thinks in inappropriate for her kid that she can't return it is kind of dumb. You're alienating a member of your key customer base over 50 bucks, an amount they're likely to spend many times over if you just keep them happy.
The idea is to enforce the rule no matter what the situation is. It's not a rule if you choose to enforce it only on some people.

The idea is to enforce the rule no matter what the situation is. It's not a rule if you choose to enforce it only on some people.

It's a policy - not a rule. This is extremely obtuse thinking and a poor business mindset. You need to interpret your policies based on the situation in front of you. If it were meant to be rigid, it wouldn't have an override option. Alienating a good customer in a poor situation over a policy - especially when you have the ability to make the judgement call and manage it - is far more damaging to your business than eating a one time return.

Back