Other LGBT+ Folks?

Hey y'all, new to the breakroom, been working with Target for about 6 months in consumables.

I am a stealth transgender male, no one at work knows that I am trans except for the higher ups (LODs) and HR. They all treat me with respect for the most part, ETL is a very old fashioned guy who has a very difficult time letting me do the kinds of things other guys do (load water, use the crown, bring out heavy pulls) even though I am physically capable of doing so. What bothers me is that he won't let me do the same things that the women who work there aren't "allowed" to do. Super old fashioned. It's irritating at times, especially when other TMs point it out, but I can look past it and usually do it anyway.

I have a few issues with a team lead who is a massive dbag and will call me "little girl" and "ma'am" and then pretend it was an accident. But he's gross and has ill-advised facial hair so I also try to look past that.

There are three lesbians who work at my store, and we just hired another trans guy, but largely I feel like our tiny community is very tiny? (Especially because nobody knows I'm trans, which I've never had the blessing and the curse of before, because it limits who I can talk to about my life).

Basically, I'm just looking to hear about other queer/LGBT+ folks experiences working for spot? Specifically trans folks? I know there are other guys and gals like me who work for the company... tell me about your experiences?

Last edited:

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
Hey y'all, new to the breakroom, been working with Target for about 6 months in consumables.

I am a stealth transgender male, no one at work knows that I am trans except for the higher ups (LODs and team leads etc) and HR. They all treat me with respect for the most part, ETL is a very old fashioned guy who has a very difficult time letting me do the kinds of things other guys do (load water, use the crown, bring out heavy pulls) even though I am physically capable of doing so. What bothers me is that he won't let me do the same things that the women who work there aren't "allowed" to do. Super old fashioned. It's irritating at times, especially when other TMs point it out, but I can look past it and usually do it anyway.

I have a few issues with a team lead who is a massive dbag and will call me "little girl" and "ma'am" and then pretend it was an accident. But he's gross and has ill-advised facial hair so I also try to look past that.

There are three lesbians who work at my store, and we just hired another trans guy, but largely I feel like our tiny community is very tiny? (Especially because nobody knows I'm trans, which I've never had the blessing and the curse of before, because it limits who I can talk to about my life).

Basically, I'm just looking to hear about other queer/LGBT+ folks experiences working for spot? Specifically trans folks? I know there are other guys and gals like me who work for the company... tell me about your experiences?
I have this problem as a regular lady. Just remind him you can outlift him any day. Works for me. After they realize you are tough enough they might lay off a bit.

My lovely pre-op friend could eat nails and works as an engineer with a bunch of tough New England males...black belts and wedding dresses.

Welcome to the bathroom.

Last edited:

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Welcome to The Break Room.

We have a very diverse crew here and by in large we get along pretty well.

LogisticsFox

Perishables Prince
As far as the community goes, it really depends on the store. My boyfriend also works for spot and his store has a ton of LGBT coworkers (a lot of them are couples) where as my store there's very few of us (I might even be the only one now). As far as being gay, all of my coworkers look past it and I have 0 issues in those regards. There are occasional reports of controversial discussions in the breakroom (Not TBR but the actual breakroom!) when I'm not present but I'm very much respected as a TL. To my knowledge, there's not any transfolk in my store but I definitely have their back :3

As far as the community goes, it really depends on the store. My boyfriend also works for spot and his store has a ton of LGBT coworkers (a lot of them are couples) where as my store there's very few of us (I might even be the only one now). As far as being gay, all of my coworkers look past it and I have 0 issues in those regards. There are occasional reports of controversial discussions in the breakroom (Not TBR but the actual breakroom!) when I'm not present but I'm very much respected as a TL. To my knowledge, there's not any transfolk in my store but I definitely have their back :3
I do, too. :)

The majority of my STLs have actually been gay, and I work with quite a few gay/lesbian TMs. I love working with them as they don't take themselves seriously, one of which is probably my current competition for the TL bench, when we were talking about why we were passed up I said, "Probably cuz I am terrible at sucking @%$%", and he replies, without batting an eye

"And here I thought I was an expert".

I about pissed myself from laughing too hard in PFresh.

Ignore the old guy, you could honestly be a Penguin and I could care less if you were a man/woman/gay/lesbian/transgender, as long as you were fun to work with ..and of course...

Short date...

Last edited:

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
At my store, we have a couple gay leaders and a handful of LGB team members, but I have yet to hear of any trans team members. Other than one or two overnight dissidents who don't get along with the gay leaders, our team seems to be fairly tolerant.

To me, it doesn't matter what gender(s) (if any) you identify with or what gender(s) you prefer, as long as you make an honest attempt to be good at your job and are nice to me.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Welcome to the red 'hood.
While I worked for spot, we always had a diverse population at our store.

Last edited:
Cis lesbian here. Starbucks TL is an out pansexual, very open about it. Don't know of any other LGBT+ TM's at my store though- then again I mostly hang around other cashiers and they're all little old married ladies.

It's been a mixed bag, while I've never faced outward discrimination, I did worry a lot after telling said Starbucks TL about some cashiers and a GSTL making transphobic comments about Caitlyn Jenner. Target has a LGBT+ discrimination policy but that really means jack shit in an at will state.

And honestly I'd say to any folks saying "there's no LGBT (particularly T) team members at my store"- always assume there is, and they can find out if any comments are made. Being out- particularly as trans, especially as a trans woman- can be really fucking dangerous and many people choose not to be out at work.

Jiminy

I'd like to order 1 large person with extra people
Target, as a company, is very passionate about "equal rights" (at least that's the image that they want to portray) - I mean, Target recently received attention for getting rid of the gender divided toy aisles. So I would find it weird if anyone had problems with LGBT+ team members ...it's like another layer of ignorance on top of their already existing prejudice. But... some people tend to be that stupid.

People are gonna gossip and talk about anything and everything that they can talk about. If it's not your sexuality (or gender identity), it'll be something else. If it's not you, it'll be someone else.

I'm an ally. One of my best friends is a trans lesbian. No big deal. Of course she doesn't work for Spot.

I've heard some of the comments that some TMs have made about people who are a part of the lgbtq community...and they aren't nice. Of course those are about guests and not TMs. So while corporate may be open and affirming, the individual stores and the people who make them up will vary greatly.

I'm a gay dude and there seems to be 10 or 15 other LGBT people working at the store at any given time. No lie, when a couple leave, they seem to be replaced... by more LGBT people. I don't think anyone is transgender; not out anyway.

A couple of years ago a woman I didn't like said "fucking faggots... oops" while in the breakroom during a news report on gay marriage. Both my gay coworker and I heard it; didn't report it though we should have. She is the definition of triflin' (YEAH, I said it!) Then at one point another TM was going on and on about the Bible and gays. My coworker said to her "You know, your son could be gay." (LOL) She didn't like that and reported it; of course the (female) HR and (gay male) Sr. Merch were buddy-buddy and nothing ever happened.

We do have folks who have been rumored to be on the DL too (My store is probably 95% black). Hell one guy I worked with; everyone knew but his girlfriend. A coworker saw him on BGC (black/latino gay site) I guess she found out because he posted on Facebook about how sorry he was. A couple of weeks ago, he asked "I'm writing a paper. Why do people be unfaithful?" One of my former coworkers replied "You should ask that to yourself lol" He walked right into that one.

Jill of All Trades

hang on, I've got a blinker
Welcome! I hope your store is not like my store, because if the STL, ETLs and TLs knew someone was trans, they would not be outed- my leadership can't keep their mouths shut about anything. But like others have said, Spot as a whole has a great attitude toward diversity, so if anyone does give you shit you definitely have recourse. Your ETL-HR is going to be your point person for any issues you encounter.

Being part of the LGBT community in a public space is hard sometimes. I've dealt with the many name calling from people from coworkers to guests. There was maybe like two or three other LGBT people at my store and we were all open and it wasn't bad at all. I'm sure there are more, but as always they either aren't ready to come out or they don't feel the need to be so open about their sexuality, just how straight people aren't asked about their sexuality. Target is one of the many stores that hires a lot of diverse people and I love them for that.

Formina Sage

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, welcome! I'm a 'mo fo' sho' :p

My first STL who opened the store was a lesbian and my second STL was a gay guy who I butted heads with frequently.... don't interpret that the wrong way lol. Our store was in a smaller suburb of Minneapolis out in the boonies a little bit, so the TM/TL population was largely straight, white, and rural. There was one other gay TM while I was there.

I didn't feel the need to advertise the fact that I was gay. When I worked there I was pretty "straight-acting" *shudder* so most people wouldn't have suspected that I was gay, and I didn't encounter any off-color comments though I'd bet they flew around occasionally. Having two gay STLs probably did a lot to stifle any of the gruff 4-am crew from talking about it.

I don't know about your store, but as far as this site everyone respects each other, and there's no tolerance for disparaging remarks with regards to race, sexuality, or any other aspects of your identity. Thanks for joining us! :)

Formina Sage

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
A coworker saw him on BGC (black/latino gay site) I guess she found out because he posted on Facebook about how sorry he was. A couple of weeks ago, he asked "I'm writing a paper. Why do people be unfaithful?" One of my former coworkers replied "You should ask that to yourself lol" He walked right into that one.
Oh God I just died laughing